• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Remote control extender/repeater for Humax pvr in closed cabinet?

meister74

Standard Member
Hi All,

I have a Humax freesat pvr in a av cabinet with a black glass hinged door. When closed the remote doesn't work, even though the oppo and onkyo ones work perfectly.

Can anyone recommend a repeater or extender that will allow me to keep the door closed and operate the remote? Many thanks.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Last edited:

logiciel

I have a Humax freesat pvr in a av cabinet with a black glass hinged door. When closed the remote doesn't work, even though the oppo and onkyo ones work perfectly.
No IR remote should work through the door!
As by some odd chance those two do then the PVR's should do the same.
Does it work normally with the door open?
If you do need an extender a Google search will find the huge range of types and prices.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
No IR remote should work through the door!

Why :confused:. IR goes through black glass and black plastic (the transmitter window on a remote is usually black), The hdr isn't very sensitive. Removing the black lacquer from inside the flap where the hole for the ir receiver is located may help.

It won't go through clear low energy glass though.

caldirun

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a repeater or extender that will allow me to keep the door closed and operate the remote? Many thanks.
I bought these Philips devices 2 weeks ago and can highly recommend them, they come with 2 PSUs and an extender lead with 3 IR senders to position inside your cabinet or onto the device you want to control. Do not be fooled by the discounted price this is a £50 piece of kit, a steal at £16.99 delivered.
Play.com - Buy online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Last edited by a moderator:

caldirun

Can the receiver unit be used on it's own?
I mean does it have an IR receiver on the front and wired repeaters plug into the back or is that circle an emitter on the front?
2 devices are supplied an IR receiver/RF transmitter and an IR transmitter/RF receiver, they look alike and both have an IR window on the front (one to let the IR in and the other to let it out).
I don't think it would work on its own, you would just place them somewhere in the room, the IR transmitter/RF receiver can be hidden in the cabinet, the RF will penetrate.

logiciel

OK, so some cabinet doors let the IR through - I meant this particular one.
As it does let it through for two things I repeat that it should do for the PVR - and glt rightly says how.

That's a new and original type of extender, quite a breakthrough at least in appearance from the rest.
By "on its own" you meant the receiver without the wired repeaters - right?
You weren't asking if you could use one unit without the other?
The component that's with the devices will do all the necessary emitting without the need for wired repeaters.

caldirun

Blimey Logi you are a busy little editor tonight, 2 consecutive edits of posts then an interpretation in your next post!

logiciel

I deleted a comment from yours that was against AVF Rule 1.

The other quoted the whole of the immediately preceding post so I assumed the poster had accidentally pressed the Quote button instead of the Reply and would consider the edit an improvement - he can have it back if it was deliberate and for a reason.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
OK, so some cabinet doors let the IR through - I meant this particular one.
As it does let it through for two things I repeat that it should do for the PVR - and glt rightly says how.

That's a new and original type of extender, quite a breakthrough at least in appearance from the rest.
By "on its own" you meant the receiver without the wired repeaters - right?
You weren't asking if you could use one unit without the other?
The component that's with the devices will do all the necessary emitting without the need for wired repeaters.

Black glass on it's own suppreses light not infra red, in fact by nature of IR it passes ir relatively easily. Black passes ir more efficiently than any other colour.

Why else do low tech solar heat collectors have matt black coatings ?.

I use a pair of the ir over hdmi gizmos for a quite different application.

I am fortunate enough to live in a location that backs onto open country and woodland.

As a result I have some relatively rare visiting birdlife including a family of Woodpeckers.

I have a 20M hdmi cable that allows me to view these in HD at close quarters on my HD TV by simply setting up my HD camcorder close to the feeding station in my garden. Civilised bird watching from the couch :D.

Big problem I could not control the camcorder zoom and recording functions despite it having ir remote control capability, the above solved the problem instantly, I can start and stop recording, take high res still pictures from the sofa :D

Not designed for this but it works brilllantly. Transmitting IR into a cupboard by the hdmi cable that the OP presumably has ought to be a cinch :D

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Green, Lesser Spotted or Greater? the woodies I mean.

A tad off topic :)

The Family are Greater Spotted but we also get a Green Woodpecker on the lawn sometimes :D

The baby - part of a frame capture

Attachments

• Woody.jpg
    Woody.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 245

dar2005

...I use a pair of the ir over hdmi gizmos ...

Hi Graham, do these ir over HDMI come with / require a seperate power supply? Or do they operate using the power from the connected devices? Is a seperate power supply optional (ie: does it have a power adaptor socket?)

I ask as I am currently planning the wiring for my house and think this could be a very neat solution, but having a dedicated HDMI cable used just for the IR signals would be better... but as this cable would not be connected directly to any devices obviously it would need to receive its power some other way...

Just to add, my PVR devices (Freesat, Freeview etc.) will be located in a different room from my TV(s) / Amp(s) etc.

logiciel

dar2005

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Is that reply meant for me?... err that was exactly why I am asking the question of Graham, as he is already using this!

They are powered by the hdmi port. It's just a small box with a hdmi plug and socket (one for the send end and the other for the receive end). Each one has a IR receiver on the end of a cable. You just need to place the send end one where you can point a remote at it. The receiver ir needs to point at the kit you want to control.

Because they use the cec control codes I guess they wouldn't be suitable if you are using cec capable kit at each end of the cable.

dar2005

logiciel

The reason that I gave the link was that it answers your question - where better to find out?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks Graham, so they definitely don't have an optional external power supply input?

Nope apart from the hdmi in/out the only socket is for the IR receiver/transmitter.

dar2005

The reason that I gave the link was that it answers your question - where better to find out?

You re-posted a link from earlier in the same thread that I was already commenting about:confused:

I was asking the question as the product description on the link is very short and does not state that it has such an input (it describes the functionality rather than the hardware). As Graham actually has and uses the product, I was simply asking him to confirm a yes / no. (As you are no doubt aware, there are other IR products on the market, albeit non-HDMI solutions that sometimes have an optional external power input port.)

logiciel

It's clear to me both from the description and from the Connection Diagram that no power source is required.

dar2005

It's clear to me both from the description and from the Connection Diagram that no power source is required.

Indeed I concur no seperate power source is 'required' - if using with a HDMI connected device, I was merely looking into the possibility of using this solution solely for the purposes of IR transmission between rooms - without an external power input, this would clearly not be possible.

Thankfully Graham has answered my question.

I don't mean to have a go Logi, and I do welcome your abundant knowledge and contributions to the forum, but sometimes I feel you are prone to coming across just a little on the pedantic side...

logiciel

Thank you;), and that now calls for an answer to your question "Is that reply meant for me?" - it was meant for you, and, like all posts from all posters, for anyone who reads the thread - what's pedantic to you could be useful new information for others.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom