remote control death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airjaff

Novice Member
Hello
I was pressing fast forward yesterday and when i tried to stop it nothing happened, pressed everything nothing happened, there is not even a red light on the control. Put some new batteries in nothing happened? What could it be? It just happened all of a sudden!

HDCriticalFan

Novice Member
Hello
I was pressing fast forward yesterday and when i tried to stop it nothing happened, pressed everything nothing happened, there is not even a red light on the control. Put some new batteries in nothing happened? What could it be? It just happened all of a sudden!
It could very well have died.

I occasionally have a problem with the "Play" button on my HD remote. I have to press "Pause" to get the FF to stop and then press play :(

Historically (with Sky+) I have tended to wear out the Pause/Play rocker switch about every two years (seriously !). Maybe I'm pressing too hard.

It does strick me that the Pause and Play buttons are going to take the most stick, certainly "Play". Why they decided to make it a rocker I don't know. It doesn't seem very robust to me either. I would have made them two completely separate (and robust) buttons.

But then again, I wouldn't have bothered to add the "series link" option when you press "Rec". They bang on in the advertising that "now it's easier than ever ... blah, blah, ...") but this is something you only ever do ONCE PER SERIES (which can be over twenty episodes long). In the same, new, EPG we now have to press Play umpteem times to restart a recently viewed programme EVERY SINGLE TIME WE WATCH EVERY SINGLE EPISODE !.

I think they didn't spend quite enough time on ergonomics !

As for your problem, try rebooting your box (it's amazing how many things this fixes).

If that (and new batteries) doesn't bring the remote back to life then you can reset the remote by leaving the batteries out for a while (overnight, to be on the safe side). However, you will lose any programmed control of your TV volume by doing this.

Does the red LED on the remote flash when you press buttons ? If not, then the remote may be dead.

If the remote seems to be alive, then check out :-

Sky Digibox remote control codes for your television

for tips as to how to reset the various programmable bits of it.

As a last resort, new HD remotes are sold by SatCure for £18.50.

Regards

kenedin

Try everything HDCriticalFan has suggested. There's not much more to try.

As a final test of your remote, get out, and switch on your digicam or mobile cam, and look thru' the cam's digi viewfinder. Point your remote at the viewfinder, press any buttons, and you should see a small circular white light flashing from the front of the remote. If you're getting nothing, your remote is probably dead.

airjaff

Novice Member
Phoned sky, its buggered they are sending me a new one. Managed to get the sky digibox remote to work on the hd box, so that will do for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom