Remote control confusion!

wolfie1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 4yr old Panasonic DMR-EH60 DVD recorder (non HDMI), and a new Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player. The DVD is connected to the TV via SCART, and the Blu-ray connected via HDMI.

My problem is that when I use the DVD remote control to switch on the DVD player, the blu-ray player switches on as well. When the DVD player is switched on, the TV shows the picture for the channel that the DVD is tuned to, but only for a second or two. After this short period, the TV picture disappears to be replaced by the Blu-ray player's "HOME blue screen" and onscreen menu.

It appears that the blu-ray player is kicking in and overriding the DVD recorder. Is there a way I can stop this happening?

Another irritation is that when I press the "Drawer Open" button on the blu-ray remote, the drawer for the DVD recorder opens as well.

Also, with the blu-ray player switched off, when I press the Direct Navigator button on the DVD (to open the screen which lists the recordings), the blu-ray player switches on and the problem above happens! What's that all about!

I am really puzzled by all this as the DVD player is old and only has Q-link technology. The blue ray does have the latest all-singing Viera link technology. Compatibility between audio-visual products is normally great, but this is driving me mad.

Can anyone rescue me from this remote control madness? :mad:

Hi,

I have a 4yr old Panasonic DMR-EH60 DVD recorder (non HDMI), and a new Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player. The DVD is connected to the TV via SCART, and the Blu-ray connected via HDMI.

My problem is that when I use the DVD remote control to switch on the DVD player, the blu-ray player switches on as well. When the DVD player is switched on, the TV shows the picture for the channel that the DVD is tuned to, but only for a second or two. After this short period, the TV picture disappears to be replaced by the Blu-ray player's "HOME blue screen" and onscreen menu.

It appears that the blu-ray player is kicking in and overriding the DVD recorder. Is there a way I can stop this happening?

Another irritation is that when I press the "Drawer Open" button on the blu-ray remote, the drawer for the DVD recorder opens as well.

Also, with the blu-ray player switched off, when I press the Direct Navigator button on the DVD (to open the screen which lists the recordings), the blu-ray player switches on and the problem above happens! What's that all about!

I am really puzzled by all this as the DVD player is old and only has Q-link technology. The blue ray does have the latest all-singing Viera link technology. Compatibility between audio-visual products is normally great, but this is driving me mad.

Can anyone rescue me from this remote control madness? :mad:

The two units are sharing the same remote control codes.
They each have three other optional codes and so one of the machines and its remote needs changing.

This is a two stage process which is important to understand so that you don't panic when things 'appear' to go wrong.
It involves first changing the code of the machine itself, accessing the menus using the remote control.
Once this code is changed the machine is now 'blind' to the remote, until you change the code on the remote itself to match that of the machine.

Another problem that must be avoided is that with two machines seeing the remote, you may inadvertently change settings on both machines - which would defeat the purpose.

So - Let us choose to change the EH60D's code... First disconnect the BD65 from the mains during this process so that you change nothing on that machine.

On the EH60D goto Functions / To others / Setup /Others / Remote control

The current setting will be DVD1... Change this to DVD2 and select Enter.

This changes the machine code and once done it now cannot see the remote which will no longer operate it.

To change the code of the remote control to match it. - On the remote press and hold Enter and the number 2 button simultaneously for 3 seconds.

This is the job done. It should now operate the machine again... and you can re-power the other machine.

Note that when the batteries run out in the remote and you replace with fresh it will revert to the DVD1 mode so you will have to go through this routine [ on the remote only ] to change the code of the remote again to the DVD2 code set.

Note also that when you use the EH60's remote, it will not operate the BD65 but that unit will show DVD2 on its display every time you use the EH60s remote.
Conversely, every time you use the BD65's remote , it will not operate the EH60 , but DVD1 will show on the display of the EH60 every time you use it.
This is normal. They are simply warnings to alert you in the case of you trying to operate a machine that you have the wrong code selected for the machine [ ...which is what you want in these circumstances. ]

Thanks Gavtech,

Worked perfectly. Simple.......when you know how!

just had the same problem with my new BDT-310, it was controling my DMR-EH60 as well and vice versa, it was driving me crackers, but thanks to my search of the forums this has been a great help, thanks Gavtech

Thanks for this information. I also had the same problem with a new HDD PVR and an existing DVD recorder, but have now got it sorted. I don't know how I would have worked this out without your help. Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom