Remote control camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Rasczak, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,600
    Hi,

I am after a camera with the following features:

1. Ability to view through the lens via a mobile phone app and take pictures. Range only needs to be 15 metres or so.

2. A screw connection for locking onto a standard tripod.

3. Relatively light - weight.

Can anyone suggest something suitable? The aim is to install on a tripod, place it on my roof and take pictures throughout the day as I work on a project below.

Thanks

2. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    one of the sony camera with their playmemories app or a gopro?

3. joetheslug

joetheslug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    If you get any DSLR that has wifi, then you can link up to the DSLR Control app. If you have a DSLR already you can link up to your phone via cable.

Sony as mentioned.

Fuji cameras via WiFi, using their app...

Hope this is helpful, and accurate.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,307
    How are you planning on powering the camera?
    My Olympus E-M10 and their OIShare app have this ability but the camera will run out of power quite fast if left on. If it goes to sleep then it will drop the WiFi connection and need restarting at the camera.
    I can't imagine there are many DSLR, compact system or compact cameras that can run a WiFi connection and the camera continuously for hours on end.

Have you looked at time lapse options?

5. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,605
    There was a thread on here a while ago about something similar, think it was an artist making a picture by hammering nails in a board. Someone may be able to link to it but |I can't find it at the moment.

As it is outside do you need it to be weather proof, and as said is this video or stills ? which ever you will find that you have a lot of data to deal with even on a time laps.

For time lapses you need to work back form the length of video and time for the activity to calculate a sensible time lapse interval, base this on 25 frames per second but it will be a lot of pictures to edit and you will need a PC/Mac able to do this or need to run it overnight or longer.

If you have a DSLR then you can get grips that increase battery life and also add a timelapse feature. There is also software freely available to just use a phone/tablet for time laps if you are not too bothered about quality.

The other big issue may be exposure, you can either set this and your video will go light and dark with the weather otherwise you will need to set auto and it will give a more even lighting over the day.

What about something like this, not particularly high quality vide but other similar are available - Brinno BCC100 Time Lapse Construction Camera Project Pack 4712417430610 | eBay

Or as said an action cam like this one -

Ultra 4K 16MP HD WiFi Sports Camera 1080P Action Camcorder DVR Time-lapse | eBay

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  6. roll1later

roll1later

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,118
    That would be this one here :thumbsup:

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,600
    Guys, thanks for all the replies. Went for a Sony HX60V and the Play Memories app - its all up and running and does what I need. Thank you also to AMc and Ugg for your wise comments about battery endurance/WiFi limitations - useful info - but I will only require short burst of use so can physically reset the camera as required.