1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote control blind/ marantz

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Elena, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Elena

Elena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post although ive been reading up for ages. We are half way through a home cinema build and have decided we want a motorised remote control skylight blind that can work with our marantz. All the companies we have called seem to have very little information so im very confused maybe you can help.
    Basically we want a horizontal remote control blind (ie: a silent gliss) but i want to know if I can then program, it up directly to the marantz remote control or alternatively to the lutron system. Does marantz work with radio frequency or do i need to have an infra red?
    If you have any other recommendations they are greatly appreciated. Have contacted Farnbourough blinds but they are too bulky for home use very industrialised also contacted a few silent gliss distributors but they arent very techy and able to give me the answers i require.
    Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Not so worried about the price (within reason) but more that i buy the correct dim out blind that will work how I want it to and that is what no one seems to be able to tell me.

Many thanks

2. compolitus

compolitus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

If you have contacted Farnborough Blinds (in Orpington, Kent) I am surprised that they could not come up with a solution for you. I am sure they make an IR controller for blinds. Their technical help is excellent and I have first hand experience of their CM1 switch controller. I am sure you could also directly interface to your Lutron system (depending on model) as they also make a blind control relay unit.

3. richardbarman

richardbarman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most blinds use the Somfy motors inside. These require a straight mains connection to the 'up' or 'down' terminals on the motor to make them operate. Usually either the blind manufacturer can supply an IR-relay device to control this, or you have to bodge something tegether to get discrete codes swicthing a relay, that then feeds mains to the correct bit on the motor.

If you do this (or get a local custom installer to do something) then you can easily add the blind control to the Marantz. The marantz does to RF, but only to it's own base station which then transmits out IR to local equipment. It cannot control other peoples RF equipment.

Richard

4. Elena

Elena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Many thanks for the explanation.

5. compolitus

compolitus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi There

As I mentioned earlier Farnborough blinds (Orpington) CM1 controller can operate blinds using two, volt free, button inputs. Basically, a three second button press sends the blind UP or DOWN. If you have venetian blinds you can also 'jog' the buttons to tilt the blinds OPEN or CLOSED. You can also stop a blind in mid travel if you want. This is all in a small compact unit.
    They also can supply specially programmed units.

I hope this helps.

I do not work for the company but have first hand experience of their products and technical competence.

6. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Do they have to be venetian?

I've successfully used Velux remote siesta blinds although I don't have velux widows. No wiring required, easy to teach your remote the code, plus one price for all sizes...

7. Elena

Elena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone that is interested after further research i have finally placed my order for a remote control blind with infra red relay with a company called shy, based in Hitchin.
    www.shy.co.uk
    They only manufacture so I still have to install myself but they explained everything and its easy. They can recommend installers if need.

I went to there factory today and the prices were quite a bit cheaper than the silent gliss option but the blind is far more stronger looking and yet still very minimal and contemporary looking. Farnborough blinds could do what I needed but I felt that the blind was so bulky it didnt look very suitable for domestic use.

Anyway job done saved myself some money in the process. So good news all round. Will post pictures of the room when completed.

8. garyb9900

garyb9900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi there,

I install Silent Gliss, Farnborough, Shy system (and others) for a living, all over London and out lying districts. Have 8 years experience in this sort of situation, please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.