1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote advice (basic)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by fat tom, Sep 19, 2004.

1. fat tom

fat tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok...

my htpc is progressing I am currently using myhtpc (will upgrade to meedio at some point I think) with zoom player and the nebula electronics free view pci card...

everthing works ok except I am currently using a mouse for zoom player and the remote that ships with the digitv card for tv...

My 2 day old son has bought me a kameleon 4in1 remote!!! :D and I am wanting to use this for all PC functions... now the digitv part of it should be easy... however the zoomplayer/myhtpc will be a bit more tricky.... now I am missing a crucial bit of hardware ie a IR reciever and was wanting a bit of advice on which on to go for?? is the usb uirt one the best for ease of setup??? do I need girder or will the remote support in myhtpc suffice????

any basic advice for a newbie?????

thanks in advance

Fat Tom

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've got a USB UIRT and its great, very quick delivery (and itd even cheaper to the UK now than when I got mine). I use girder with mine and found it relatively straightforward to setup. The example on the girder website (www.girder.nl) is great to get you going. If you want I could let you have a copy of my myHTPC/zoomplayer/nebula gml file to get you started -I'm no expert but it seems to do the job fine.

HTH
    Owain

3. fat tom

fat tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Owain,

Thanks for the advice

I think I will go ahead and purchase the usb uirt... a gml file would be much appreciated!!!!! is it big??? a cut and paste into a post would be fine if its not too big..

cheers

- Fat Tom -

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Tom,

No problem, I'll post it when I get home from work. Not sure of the size of it but I'll let you know if its too big to cut and paste. The way it works is to use a couple of plugins (I'll post the correct names when I can check them at home) to allow specific commands to be sent depending on which program is running. This means you can have one set of buttons for play, stop, ffw, etc and the system knows which key press to simulate depending on the currently running program.

When you get hold of the USB UIRT all you need to do is use the learn function in girder to bind the IR codes from your remote's buttons to the commands (mine use a set of generic codes from my pronto).

Regards
    Owain

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

apologies for butting in, and maybe I'm missing the point but I dont see why you need to buy another IR receiver just to control Zoomplayer and myHTPC.

I have exactly the same setup at home ( Nebula DigiTV, Zoomplayer and myHTPC ) and I use the Nebula remote to control all three. I added Zoomplayer and myHTPC to the list of applications in the Remote tab of the settings dialog in the DigiTV s/w and then setup the key press that each of the remote's keys emulate. I've only had the nebula for a couple of days and the setup for zoomplayer is still not quite right but it definitely works. As the nebula remote seems to be IR there is no reason why you shouldn't use the Kameleon with it too.

Tim

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It's true, you can use the digitv receiver to send commands to other programs, but you can only use the remote that comes with it, and then only a selection of the buttons. I set mine up with this when I first got it and it worked ok, not great though. The main advantage of the girder/USB UIRT setup is the flexibility, girder can do pretty much anything you can think of on a PC. Also the UIRT can transmit as well as recieve commands, useful if you're using a sky STB for example. Any way, might be worth having a look at the digitv solution and seeing if it will do what you want first.

Owain

PS - sorry, didn't get round to sending the gml file last night, nightmare traffic followed by a date with some scousers ;) - I'll do it later today.