Reminiscence Movie Review & Comments

I enjoyed this , watched it on Streaming while currently isolating and recovering from COVID. The world is very cool and intriguing I think it might have been better as a tv show long form in 8 hours or so as there is so much more that could have been explored .
well worth a watch , the only thing is it’s a one watch I don’t think you’ll ever sit and watch again once you get the gag.

Intrigued by that. I'd like to see Jackman flexing his muscles without the claws, but this certainly isn't the type of thing I'd have imagined him doing. Ferguson always a charm these days as well - even when evil like in Dr. Sleep!

Intrigued by that. I'd like to see Jackman flexing his muscles without the claws, but this certainly isn't the type of thing I'd have imagined him doing. Ferguson always a charm these days as well - even when evil like in Dr. Sleep!
Prisoners for me is his best clawless role. Followed perhaps by The Prestige.

Ah yes I'd forgotten about Prisoners. Naturally it was during his claw days. A good one that.

I'm not a huge fan of The Prestige to be honest, but it's not a bad film by any means.

Jackman actually reminds me a bit of Grillo, but it was Jackman that got all the breaks. In an alternate universe somewhere it was Grillo who played Wolverine!

Ah yes I'd forgotten about Prisoners. Naturally it was during his claw days. A good one that.

I'm not a huge fan of The Prestige to be honest, but it's not a bad film by any means.

Jackman actually reminds me a bit of Grillo, but it was Jackman that got all the breaks. In an alternate universe somewhere it was Grillo who played Wolverine!
lol he probably sings better?

Tom's review echos somewhat what I seen elsewhere but in a slightly more positive light. Grace gave this a surprisingly meh review. She pointed out how the basic concept of a world mostly under water functioning like it does in the film made no sense. She literally asked basic engineering questions. (Sometimes I do like her lol). Like Tom she brought up Bogart but also Harrison Ford.

She really wanted to like this film because of Hugh and of course Lisa but with the basic premise screwed she just kept seeing faults including the casting.

But like Tom, she says it's worth seeing if you're a subscriber since it doesn't cost extra

Last edited by a moderator:
Really intrigued by this, will definitely check it out next week. Disappointing that it’s been dumped in less than quality screens at my local flea pit though.

Really intrigued by this, will definitely check it out next week. Disappointing that it’s been dumped in less than quality screens at my local flea pit though.
It has all the ingredients of a critical darling.
It stars Hugh Jackman, written and directed by a woman, the co creator of Westworld no less, with Thandiwe Newton and Rebecca Ferguson. Yet it stands at less than 40% with the early shill reviewers at RT.

It has all the ingredients of a critical darling.
It stars Hugh Jackman, written and directed by a woman, the co creator of Westworld no less, with Thandiwe Newton and Rebecca Ferguson. Yet it stands at less than 40% with the early shill reviewers at RT.
Except the 'genre' has never been a critical darling.

Except the 'genre' has never been a critical darling.
I've never thought about it but now that I am, that is a fair point. But this film did have all the right elements to buck that trend. BR2049 did receive critical acclaim but there's a history behind that with them getting the first one so wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid all such evidence has long since been destroyed.

However this is probably as close as it gets to sharing those glory days with you :D

Bob Mortimer in real life is pretty funny. But this about as funny as Vic Reeves ever got. When not in character he's even less funny but maybe he was funnier in the clubs back in the day.

Gave up halfway through. I love sci-fi and noir but this didn't do it for me. Also watched the Grace review and agree there's no chemistry between the leads. I thought while watching it that maybe it's because she's not as smitten as he is?

I find Rebecca Ferguson a bit cold, there's no warmth in her personality and there is often a mismatch chemistry in the films I've seen her in. I find her the only character out of place in these new Mission Impossible films...

It’s a work of poetic art, but at the same time it’s also a cheesy, often boring and snoozy affair. Visuals are a delight and I fancy the pants off Rebecca Ferguson (although I agree she’s curiously cold and low key in this). And the story once revealed isn’t bad at all. The script is pretty terrible though especially all those earnest, teary monologues and it also feels a lot longer than it’s runtime.

I saw it at the cinema for ‘free’ but I am not surprised that people streaming at home are getting bored and switching it off. 6/10 for the visuals and story.

Did not care for it one bit. Was just bland. Nothing to pull you in.

Apart from some of the 'City in Water' scenes, I thought this was utter rubbish. A totally unconvincing love story and the end scene, in particular, was utter nonsense.

3/10 for me.

Very average, not terrible at all. Fight scenes were the worst part but effects and acting were good. In retrospect I quite liked the Blade Runneresq voice over.

I liked the last paragraph of the review describing 'Free Guy' as Disney-farmed-product-recognition-bait, that is any Disney product described perfectly.
To my mind Hugh Jackman has made his career making pop up entertainment, he seems to suddenly appear in some production or other (stage or film) and by choice or good planning it is usually successful.
Rebecca Ferguson must have had a good time with Hugh making the The Greatest Showman to join up with him once again.

I liked the last paragraph of the review describing 'Free Guy' as Disney-farmed-product-recognition-bait, that is any Disney product described perfectly.
To my mind Hugh Jackman has made his career making pop up entertainment, he seems to suddenly appear in some production or other (stage or film) and by choice or good planning it is usually successful.
Rebecca Ferguson must have had a good time with Hugh making the The Greatest Showman to join up with him once again.
Except the reality is Fox made Free Guy and Disney just acquired it. They had no creative input in the finished product.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom