Reminiscence 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Saw this at the cinema (yes I’m the one) and found it to be an honourable failure. Nothing quite works except the fabulous setting. I feel like I’ll end up getting the Steelbook, when it ends up being reduced. I’ve always been fascinated by big budget failures and this certainly fits that category.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
I'm deciding whether to buy disk or get it on Apple when it drops to 5.99 as other recent not perfect SciFi like Bloodshot or Gemini man have.

I did enjoy Strange days so this does sound like a film i might like.
Strange Days is a masterpiece compared to this.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Where would you rate it compared to Gemini Man or Bloodshot?
Erm it’s tough. GM was generic as hell, Bloodshot.. well it was just crap wasn’t it, so yeah it’s better than those two…. But still… we’re just comparing different shades of the proverbial aren’t we.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review, Cas.
Just popped it on the Video Buster Disk Rental list. Sounds worth at least that, & Huge Ackman (That bit was the best part of Night at the Museum 3) I usually like.

moraghan

It bombed for a reason .... it was poor. Personally I wouldn't buy it from anywhere ... even if it was 10p as I know I will never watch it again.

DLxP

Totally agree Strange Days is underrated - I'd actually put it in my top 10 favourite films. I vividly remember watching it as a teenager with headphones in my room, and realising at the end of the film I hadn't moved for 2 hours. Very few films have engrossed me as completely as that did.

As for this, it's been on the watch list for a while but I've failed to muster the interest to watch it. I will now though - an 8 from Cas is enough to persuade me.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Totally agree Strange Days is underrated - I'd actually put it in my top 10 favourite films. I vividly remember watching it as a teenager with headphones in my room, and realising at the end of the film I hadn't moved for 2 hours. Very few films have engrossed me as completely as that did.

As for this, it's been on the watch list for a while but I've failed to muster the interest to watch it. I will now though - an 8 from Cas is enough to persuade me.

Very kind mate, but just to be forewarned, the 8 is for the disc. The film is a straight 6. It's very much Strange Days-lite, and most will probably be better served by waiting to explore it on streaming before shelling out for a(n admittedly impressive) disc.

Rolph77

Personally, I thought this was a great film.
So refreshing to see a film that isn't based on a comic book, or a sequel or full of CGI and buildings falling down.
Ferguson and Jackman are both good, it looks fabulous, will definitely watch again.
Had a lot more enjoyment out of this over something like Shang Chi, one reason being that I didn't know how it would play out, instead of a big battle where the thing is saved and the other thing blows up.

AVFAndy

So refreshing to see a film that isn't based on a comic book, or a sequel or full of CGI and buildings falling down.

I had similar thoughts. I often wonder how many decent, original films we never got because they were too busy making all these comic book films. I have nothing against them, I even quite like some of them. But my god, so so many !

I quite enjoyed this one and it looks great - native 4k too.,

Chinstroke

Whilst I applaud seeing a medium budget film that is based on an original (though very derivative) idea, this film was unfortunately a load of bobbins. Terrible dialogue, poor acting and very cliched. I am afraid I can only muster up a 4 or 5 out of 10 for this and that is really only because it is always good to see someone trying something that is not a prequel, sequel or comic book film.

MartinH32

Strange Days is a masterpiece compared to this.
Might watch that tonight then. Just realised I've got it on Blu-Ray. Don't ever remember buying it!

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Might watch that tonight then. Just realised I've got it on Blu-Ray. Don't ever remember buying it!
I’ve not seen it for years, it may have aged horribly. I always thought it was brilliant when I was a young man though but I also used to go raving in Ibiza a lot….

Last edited:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I’ve not seen it for years, it may have aged horribly. I always thought it was brilliant when I was a young man though but I also used to go raving in Ibiza a lot….

Strange Days is good but I've never thought of it as a great film. Definitely worth owning though. Check those MiniDiscs!

ch1z

I really wanted to like this film, unfortunately it does nothing new and does that thing of reminding you of other better realised films. There are some very nice visuals and agree with Cas H.Thandie Newton is under-utilised and I would say had the more interesting back story.
Hugh Jackman’s character is kinda of a vacuum and I felt the female characters were all far more interesting or stronger. This is not a bad thing just that it seemed at odds with the Hugh’s lead role of gruff but wounded soul who still carers but ultimately is too broken to go on and retreats from reality which is the opposite of Stranger Days which I would say is still the superior film.
Maybe that’s the point?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom