Remember where you started?

Tri11

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys have the most awsome setups I have seen. Infact it's you guys that have made me decide to save up and buy some AV equipment myself. Trouble is most of us have to start from the bottom. For a poor student like me, thats rock bottom too :thumbsdow . However my setup is great for my current needs.

The point of this thread is not to show off my setup, because to be quite frank it's pretty poor compared to most posted here. The idea is to see who still has pictures of their first ever setup, and see how you've progressed over time :thumbsup: . Don't be shy, everyone had to start somewhere, so lets see it :cool: .

I'll start it off. Here's my first ever (3days old, so not much has changed) setup:

ed747267.jpg

Nowt wrong with that mate.
Any system is better than no system at all :smashin:
When I was your age in the bleak early eighties, I could barely afford 50p for the meter, let alone some kit.
Now the kids have gone, it's only now I've got a few bob to spend.
If you saw the mini record player I had, you'd wet yourself laughing.
I believe it had 5W output :rotfl:

No pics Im afraid mate,but my Dad gave me his old stereo amp back in 1986 it was a JE Sugden dont know if they are still around today it was a class A ampllifier,which at the time was very very good.Then it all spiralled out of control from there.I would hate to think how much I have spent over the last 20 years.I've already done £3700 this year:rolleyes:

Lol, I can't really afford much more than 50p for anything now i've bought this lot ;) . And since students earn next to nothing, i highly doubt i'll be spending that kind of money on anything anytime soon :eek: . Maybe once im settled down, in 20 or so years....

Phil

I am in the same situation as yourself in hoping to improve my Home Theatre. I have desktop pc, laptop pc, xbox , ps2 and a generic panasonic hifi plus a denon dm31 in the kitchen. I have 4 yr old CRT which I plan on replacing in the next three months.

I don't like ramping up the credit card so I will have replace items over the next three years probably. After the TV I want a decent set of speakers and an amp and cd player.

I want to replace the clutter with something which is looks and sounds a lot better. Things will be replaced as and when funds allow. Looks like I will be reading a lot of reviews and auditioning equipment for the foreseeable future. Probably will bug other posters for views of certain equipment I am interested in buying.

gosties,
That's the spirit mate :smashin:
Trust me, if you had the best now, there'd be no fun in it.
Good things come to he who waits ;)

Or is that Guinness I'm talking about? :D

Some advice I always used is get a budget for the piece of kit you want.Then try and find it cheaper usually you can get the next model up for the same money if you try investigate.Second hand kit is usually a good buy as people tend to look after the kit that they have scrimped and saved for.

Yeah, all of my equipment is ex-dem, and the small Denon speakers are from ebay. Saved a heck of a lot, and got a lot more than i was expecting. :thumbsup:

Phil

My first HT system was a JVC pro logic mini system hooked up to a remote hacked Samsung DV-515 DVD player. All viewed on a 14" Orion portable TV.

Pics of this monsterous ordeal are available on the website in my sig (bottom link!) - from that website just click the "The Beginning" link.

I love my current setup :)

Craig,

Nice timeline mate :smashin:

You really should keep that going, it'll be iconic in about 20 years time :smashin:

Oh I shall do mate, wanted to have a website like this for a while and only just gotten round to it!

Wish I had piccies of the in between setups though of when I changed the speakers on the mini system etc. But oh well!

This was my stunning first set-up, a 28'' Daewoo TV with a philips home cinema in a box. It's weird thinking this was my set-up a little over a year and a half ago, but I had an extremely small room then, so it wasn't all that bad.

image148li9.jpg

Wow, you went from that to your current setup?! That's quite a jump :smashin: . Infact, it was your current setup that convinced me that it was worth spending money on a bedroom setup. Hopefully one day i'll upgrade to something similar, must sound awsome when chilling to music :cool: .

Phil

i suppose my first step was a 21" 4:3 tv, a dvd player i got from a mate (which he paid about £150 for inc a few dvds, it was poo tbh!) and a small aiwa stereo which i rigged up so i kinda had 4 channel stereo :rotfl:

Wow, you went from that to your current setup?! That's quite a jump . Infact, it was your current setup that convinced me that it was worth spending money on a bedroom setup. Hopefully one day i'll upgrade to something similar, must sound awsome when chilling to music .
Thank you very much for your kind words, I've never been called an inspiration before, lol. It was indeed a huge change, but oh what a change, I still sometimes just sit here looking at it in awe. Listening to music is indeed very relaxing and encompassing.

I was going to go for the wharfedale's myself originally, but heard the Monitor Audio bronze and couldn't convince myself away from them. The best part of your system to me was the fact you have all Wharfedale Diamond 9's of some sort, so they match in pitch perfectly. I had to compromise and go for some Denon SC-M73 as surround backs, so musically they sound slightly different. Hope in the first upgrade to this system, i'll be adding a MA Bronze centre channel and perhaps another pair of MA B1's. Don't think i'll jump to a 46" DLP though :D .

but heard the Monitor Audio bronze and couldn't convince myself away from them.
They're very nice speakers.
Don't think i'll jump to a 46" DLP though
:rotfl: It was a huge jump in screen size, but I've slowly become desensitised. I now think all other 'normal' TVs are stupidly small, even my parents 37'' LCD. If I weren't going to Uni in just under a month I would have certainly upgraded to a projector by now. I think it's going to kill me having to leave all my gear behind.

John 1987 said:
If I weren’t going to Uni in just under a month I would have certainly upgraded to a projector by now. I think it's going to kill me having to leave all my gear behind.

Go on mate.. you know you want to :p

Go on mate.. you know you want to
I absolutely agree with you, I really do want to. :rotfl:

John 1987 said:
They're very nice speakers.

:rotfl: It was a huge jump in screen size, but I've slowly become desensitised. I now think all other 'normal' TVs are stupidly small, even my parents 37'' LCD. If I weren’t going to Uni in just under a month I would have certainly upgraded to a projector by now. I think it's going to kill me having to leave all my gear behind.

I took all my gear with me was a bit of a tight squeeze the first year in halls but after that I had huge bedrooms in the various student digs I lived in.
Still I only ever had a 28"CRT to lug about a projector and screen would be easier to move:D

My first home cinema was a Aiwa Nsx-939 Pro-Logic mini Hi-Fi that I bought from Rumbelows for around £600!!, connected to an Hitachi Nicam Video that set me back £450 from Colourvision, the TV was a 21" Ferguson Nicam that was replaced with a Toshiba 3373BD that I bought when I went working for Scottish Power.

I still can't believe I paid £450 for a VCR!!! Mad.

I cant remember the year, must be around 1989-1990.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom