• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Remember "Our Price" records?

Sad099

I do

I Used to work for them - my first job from 1988 to 1994.
I worked in the head office in White city , which was then moved to Brentford.

Got made redundant in 1994 , they were struggling since 1992 and they never really recovered and went downhill ever since.
Had a joint venture with Virgin and then got taken over by Virgin and then disposed of.

Wasn't a bad money spinner for the founders though whislt it was doing well and under the WH Smith umbrella.

Was great working for them - got to go to lots of parties and clubs and got good discounts on music , games , videos - great xmas parties too

Last edited:

Bill Hicks

Banned
Yeah I remember Our Price records. The one that used to be on Tottenham Court Road was a great store. I remember buying vinyl in there and it always came with one of those Our Price Best Buy stickers on the cover.

lord-dudester

our price was great. i remember getting all my first 7 inch records there when i was younger. i wont confess what i use to buy though !:)

IronGiant

Yeah I remember Our Price records. The one that used to be on Tottenham Court Road was a great store. I remember buying vinyl in there and it always came with one of those Our Price Best Buy stickers on the cover.

I have several LPs that I bought from an Our Price store :)

DJT75

Distinguished Member
We had 2 in our little city centre so they must've been doing alright. I went for an interview for a saturday job in my teens, absolutely gutted I didn't get it.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Where I used to live in Norwich, there was both an OP Records and OP Video next door to one another! I still remember the day OP Video opened up, and the excitement of having one shop devoted to nothing but movies. :blush:

I was a regular customer there, from the age of 11, buying my first two movies there: Akira (for the exhorbitant price, for me, of £12-99) and The Time Guardian (for £5-99, which was a low-ish budget Australian sci-fi flick, with Carrie Fisher and Dean Stockwell in it).

I still recall the excitement, each Saturday, of seeing the new VHS covers being pinned-up on their little board near the counter, where you could see what films were due out, and in what versions (e.g. just as Widescreen was becoming the in-thing on VHS).

I so missed them when they closed down. :(

Pooch

brumhee

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Where I used to live in Norwich, there was both an OP Records and OP Video next door to one another! I still remember the day OP Video opened up, and the excitement of having one shop devoted to nothing but movies. :blush:

I was a regular customer there, from the age of 11, buying my first two movies there: Akira (for the exhorbitant price, for me, of £12-99) and The Time Guardian (for £5-99, which was a low-ish budget Australian sci-fi flick, with Carrie Fisher and Dean Stockwell in it).

I still recall the excitement, each Saturday, of seeing the new VHS covers being pinned-up on their little board near the counter, where you could see what films were due out, and in what versions (e.g. just as Widescreen was becoming the in-thing on VHS).

I so missed them when they closed down. :(

Pooch

Did they use to be opposite Habitat or was that Andys Records?

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I bought vinyl and VHS tapes from there while I was at college. That would make it early 1990's. The one I went to ended up as various phone stores.

mela

I did my sixth form work experience there at the one in Cardiff some 15 or so years ago, had a cracking time. Alas they were on the pricey side and once Virgin opened up in a much better site, they were doomed.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Did they use to be opposite Habitat or was that Andys Records?

Yep, that's the place: opposite Habitat! (Andy's Records was nearer the top of the Norwich Market, down one of the side streets. ;) )

Our Price were always cheaper than my local Virgin Megastore, which was what made them my farourite retailer at the time. Even got the OPV staff to know me on first-name terms, such was the frequency of my visits, and requests for information. :D

I still recall seeing my first ever NTSC videotape series for sale in OPV: it was the entire 8-tape set of the Japanese Anime series "Bubblegum Crisis", retailing at about £24 per 45m tape! :eek: And people even bought them too!

I want an OPV t-shirt now, such is the lovely memories of that store. :blush:

Pooch

Last edited:

overkill

Distinguished Member
Sadly my memories of Our Price are all bad. The store manager in the Kingston shop was a complete numpty. He had a huge hot oil radiator at the back of the store where the vinyl was stored and left it on all the time, all year round.

I think you can work out the rest for yourselves..........

Let's just say I had to take the odd, more than a little warped, record or three back. Funnily enough, from the racks nearest the radiator. :rolleyes::suicide:

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Let's just say I had to take the odd, more than a little warped, record or three back. Funnily enough, from the racks nearest the radiator. :rolleyes::suicide:

Perhaps you'd have been better with CDs.
foxholesmile.gif

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
what next ...

Remember "Rumbelows"?
Remember "C&A"?
Remember "Ratners"?
Remember "MVC"?
Remember "MFI"?

;)

The point is not particularly to fondly remember any company that's gone out of business, more that a very well known high street icon of not that long ago has now been distilled down to a web address/logo helping a small niche business to maximize its return on signed memorabilia by leveraging charity auction events.

In my book, that's quite a big come-down I thought worth pointing out. :)

Last edited:

krish

Distinguished Member
In my book, that's quite a big come-down I thought worth pointing out. :)
I see the big come-down as the moment the name disappears off the high street
- whatever happens with the name/web address as bought from the administrators/holding company/current name owners, I find irrelevant, as it's just a transaction and transfer of name to an unrelated business

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
I see the big come-down as the moment the name disappears off the high street

Our Woolworths sign is still up.

- whatever happens with the name/web address as bought from the administrators/holding company/current name owners, I find irrelevant, as it's just a transaction and transfer of name to an unrelated business

Unrelated perhaps in terms of the company behind them, but often a popular name that has gone into administration is bought as a bolt-on to existing companies in the same business or to re-launch a business in the same line.

Recent examples being Zavvi and Woolworths.

I didn't start a "remember Zavvi" or "remember Woolworths" thread because pretty much from an online perspective they are trading in the same area as they were before, and look the same on the site. And I bet the image/domain rights weren't that cheap to buy even if it was a fire sale.

Our Price on the other hand is a different matter. The fact that is is being used by a company that likely runs out of very small premises or even someone's house is testament on how a large high-street icon has come down in the world. IMHO. :)

Last edited:

overkill

Distinguished Member
Perhaps you'd have been better with CDs.
foxholesmile.gif
:D

Doubt it! The heat coming off that thing would have turned CD's into saucers!

krish

Distinguished Member
Unrelated perhaps in terms of the company behind them, but often a popular name that has gone into administration is bought as a bolt-on to existing companies in the same business or to re-launch a business in the same line.

I didn't start a "remember Zavvi" or "remember Woolworths" thread because pretty much from an online perspective they are trading in the same area as they were before, and look the same on the site.

Our Price on the other hand is a different matter. The fact that is is being used by a company that likely runs out of very small premises or even someone's house is testament on how a large high-street icon has come down in the world. IMHO. :)
Yep, good points :)

My memories of Our Price are of regularly returning warped 12" singles.

I wonder what's going on with MG ... name still owned by BMW or by the Chinese business that bought the assets? I think the Atari and Commodore brand names/logos regularly change hands.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom