Remake of The Wizard of Oz

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Deadline reports that Warner Bros want Robert Zemeckis to remake The Wizard of Oz, i have no problem with the director. They want to use the original script, did they do that with the Psycho remake...that did not turn out so well. I have no problem watching Oz it to compare it to the charming 1939 version that i love.

"Warner Bros is in early talks with Robert Zemeckis to direct a live-action remake of the The Wizard of Oz and plans to use the original script from the 1939 classic. Warner Bros owns the screenplay because Ted Turner bought it along with the MGM library before Warner Bros bought Turner's empire...Whenever you remake a revered Hollywood film, there's bound to be controversy, but going right to the original material is certainly an interesting approach."

I'm more interested in Disney's take on Oz which they plan to do.

They definitely read AV Forums! I made the same suggestion in the "surprised it hasn't been remade" thread a couple of weeks ago!!

They definitely read AV Forums! I made the same suggestion in the "surprised it hasn't been remade" thread a couple of weeks ago!!
So it's your fault!! :nono:

I think it could be fun if they did several of L. Frank Baum's Oz books, staying close to the original illustrations the way Return to Oz did. Hollywood is always on the look out for another fantasy franchise based on popular books, so it would make sense making a film series. The Wizard of Oz was only the first in a long series of books taking place in that world. Being an MGM musical of it's time the Judy Garland film made a lot of changes to the book and the designs and was closer to the times Vaudeville tradition rather than to the tone of the novel.

The idea of using the original screenplay strikes me as very strange though.

Of course it has been remade a number of times already, at least 3 or 4 times that I can think of, the 1939 version itself being a remake (or perhaps re-adaptation may be more correct).
The idea of using the original screenplay strikes me as very strange though.
Yes, I find this very strange too, if they're going to do it then going back to and re-adapting the source material would certainly make more sense.

Have the rights for the Wicked series been snapped up as film rights by a company or did they get held by the current producers .. Seems the musical market is so huge I'm suprised its that, thats not under dvelopment

Yes, I find this very strange too, if they're going to do it then going back to and re-adapting the source material would certainly make more sense.
It's easier to just do the original script, take the songs out, get Jack Black to play the wizard or 'The Wiz' and add millions of cgi flying monkees. Cinema gold.:rolleyes:

I think the whole thing sounds awful and they should leave "the wizard of oz" well alone

Robert Zemeckis's PR has said he is not connected to the film.

A source at Warner Bros. told EW that Robert Zemeckis did meet with the studio to discuss a remake of The Wizard of Oz. However, a representative for Zemeckis revealed that he is not up for a Wizard of Oz remake. "The reports that Robert Zemeckis is doing The Wizard of Oz are absolutely false."

Wonder if its going to get the 3D treatment, he did good 3D work in Christmas Carol

Can't wait to see this! :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom