1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RELQ200 again (sorry)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dAvE6, Dec 13, 2001.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i'm finally home for Christmas now and i have time to integrate my barely used rel q200 into my setup:

b&w 603 s3 fronts,
    b&w 601 s3 rears,
    sony str db1070 amp,
    lcr600 centre speaker.

There's still one tihng i'm not sure about. I'm using the dual phono cable. There are 5 main settings i need to get right. these are:

1. The adjustible LFE high cut on the amp. Set at 120 STD at the moment. Should this be set to 75-80hz?

2. The high cut on the subwoofer itself. Set to around half way at the moment. P.S what is the difference between people saying 'high cut' and 'crossover'???

3. The 3rd setting that i forgot about is the sub VOLUME.

4. I have all my speakers set to large and i always will for convenience sake. It makes it similar. (so bear this in mind). So therefore, what should the DB be set as on the amp. there is just one adjustable setting for this and it's called 'subwoofer +0db'. You can adjust it from -10 to +10 db.

5. The phase switch is set on 1 at the moment. Obviously 2 may suit different set ups. But i don't know yet without knowing what to set the other componant parts at.

Bassicly i want a decent combination of the above settings which work in harmony with eachother. Which won't have to be continually altered and will suit both music and HT well. I'm not interested in perfection, but just a decent integration. My room is 4x4 metre by the way. I've looked in other threads, but my questions aren't answered all that clearly. So i started here from scratch, detailing my exact setup.

I know it's a big ask, but could people try and advise me on a balanced setup taking all the above into account?

Thank you so much if you can.:(

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Ok. See if i can answer this one.

As youve got all speakers set to large.

1. This depends on how low your speakers go down to? You´ll need to set this about 10-15 hz above the lowest frequency they go down to i.e if they go down to 35hz set the crossover around 50hz. On the Sony can you set the crossover individually for each speaker? If so, then all the better.

2. If you use Mode 2 on the sub you´ll ignore its crossover and the amp will control the cutoff (as above)

3. For starters set the volume to about halfway then adjust as necessary.

4. On my amp both Dolby & DTS are set at 0db. If you need more bass adjust as necessary.

5. Use mode 2 on the sub.

Hope this helps you.

Setting all speakers to small would probably be easier! Then you just set the sub to mode2 choose 75/80 hz on the amp, adjust the volume and away you go!!

cheers

3. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dave - check out the FAQ pages on this site re: sub - I found it really helpful.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Position 2, bypasses internal crossover
    All speakers small
    Crossover as Jase said, probably 80 hz
    Volume, adjust with a CD with lots of bass

Now you may also connect the high level to the front speakers amp terminals, using the supplied cables, and use it for stereo (CDs) in direct mode. Then you have to adjust the subs crossover too...

5. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for all your's time. You all advise setting the pahse switch to position 2. And then this ignores the SUB'S crossover and allows all the adjustment to be done on the AMP. You said to set it to around 75/80hz. But isn't this setting the LFE high cut i was talking about which one of you advised to put 15hz above the lowest bass that the speaker can handle. But this would be around only 60hz, which ISN'T 75/80hz as previously mentioned. So is the control for crossover, NOT the LFE high cut setting, and something else?

And another thing. thought setting speakers to large was prefferable as it gave them a larger range with more bass. Is this '75/80hz setting applicible for all 5 speakers, or just the 2 fronts? :(

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Ok

If you set your speakers to SMALL. Set the crossover on the amp to 75/80hz. Use Mode 2 on the Rel.

ALL bass below 75/80 hz will be sent to the sub. i.e the LFE .1 channel bass and ALL the bass for the other 5 channels.

If you set your front speakers to LARGE. You should have an option on the amp to have the bass going to LFE & MAIN ( or BOTH).

Set your Centre and Rears to Small.

In this case you´d use Mode 1 on the Rel and set the crossover to 60hz (like you mentioned). This way ALL bass will be sent to the sub and the front left & right speakers.

What i dont know is if you can individually set the crossover on your amp for each speaker?? If you can, set the crossover of these to 75/80hz.

Basically this way the sub will be getting the bass under 60hz and the fronts will be getting the bass under 75/80 hz, hopefully giving you a smooth response!

The crossovers etc depend on whether you have Large or Small settings for your speakers. Only you can decide which sounds better!

cheers

7. nickit

nickit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was advised to set the speakers to small so that the amp could power them over a smaller range, leaving the bass to be handled by the sub (Q201e mine).

The effect on my set up was excellent, the mid range on the fronts in particular was much tighter, more punch. The only trouble was that sitting down close to the sub, the bass seemed directional. I know we are not supposed to be able to tell, maybe I'm crossed with another breed?

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Place the sub near the front speakers and you wont "hear" it...

9. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help jase and lowrider.

I fiddled about a bit and set them to small. This then allowed me to adjust LFE high cut (as always) and also, 'FRONT SP' 'CENTRE SP' and 'SURROUND SP'.

Now, i ASSUME this is the crossover for each set of speakers??

It's a hz setting so it probably is.

Is small really the best thing to go for when i have B&W 603's? The only reason i'm asking , is because i don't want to waste that extra money i spent for letting the front speakers have a dedicated bass driver. Or is it NOT completely ignored?

Ok let me get this straight:

1. Place sub near speaker to avoid directionality.

2. set speakers to small on amp

3. switch SUB phase switch to 2.

4. Set the 'LFE high cut' on amp to 75 hz.

5. Set 'SP' of each speaker to 75hz

6. set sub VOLUME to about halfway.

7. The 'lo-effect' cut off on sub is ignored....right?

8. Connection from amp to sub used is a dual phono cable. That other, funny cable is ignored because it's too fiddly to install and dosn't appear to work.

Is this all correct? If not then please correct or advise differently on any number which is wrong.

Thanks.

10. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,333
    Feel free to keep the 603s as large, although technically they may not meet the full requirements of what Large really should be, they do a great job in the large setting.

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want the most of it, connect the funny cable to the amp outputs to the front speakers (as explained in the manual), and adjust the high level and crossover frequency on the sub to complement your 603s, it must be somewhere between 40 and 50 hz...

This way you let the sub handle LFE + under 75 from center and surrounds + what the front speakers can´t handle, even when you play direct mode, understand :confused:

12. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 603 S3 specs say they go down to 48 hz, probably -3 db, so they probably should be crossedover a little higher.

Even if you crossover them at 75 hz, as the filters are not brick walls, they will still get some signal lower, plus they will be reproducing the frequencies from the internal crossover to the mid-range, probably around 400 hz...

The main advantage from setting them to small is that you spare the receiver from reproducing the very low frequencies, saving more power to the rest, and I don´t mean to listen louder, but to have less distortion.