Reliving childhood gaming

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by alextgreen, Dec 12, 2002.

1. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Looking to acquire a Mega Drive and Mega CD (probably sorted), and maybe a 32x as well. I could only ever afford a Mega Drive when i was younger, so now I want to go the whole hog. Games go for between 50p and a tenner, even though i'm a poor poor student it's almost too good to resist now.

Tempted to get another virtual boy actually, that strange 3d nintendo thingamabob. Mario's tennis was ultra addictive.

Anyone else around here play oldy stylee games?

I have this horrible feeling that I'll get it and never touch it because it's so old. One game I will never tire of tho - Micro Machines 2 turbo tournament. Just bought a copy off Ebay to whack in my mate' mega drive, spent hours hammering away at it on Monday.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Got megadrive and snes hooked up to my widescreen, some of the old classics just cannot be beat. The only problem is the stupid battery memories :(

3. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I have a SNES and Doctor!!!! Too many hours are lost!!!

4. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    They keep trying to flog the 'Mega Joy 2' on one of the sky shopping channels and I get really tempted to get one everytime I see it. Its got sh*tloads of all the old arcade favorites, space invaders, defender, centipede and all that stuff. They want £25 for it but I've seen the 'Mega Joy 1' for £12 in a local shop.

It would be fun playing all the old favorites again, it would just be weird spending time playing old stuff when I've got a ps2 set up with load of games.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    I play more old stuff than i do GC, PS2 or Xbox.

we played contra the other night on ps2 for about 20 mins then put the snes version in and played it for just over 3 hours !
    (probotector for pal)

tried to buy gunstar heroes off ebay the other day and ebay went down on me , was gutted a classic treasure shooter, try and track that down if you never had it.

also sat playing mega man 2 on the NES today for about 2 hours, got the machine out to region free it reay for ebay and tested it with that cart and before i knew it 2 hours had passed.
    blinding game, never really into the mega man series but this may have changed my mind.

If you can look past the graphics then some of the finest games ever made are out there for a couple of quid, mind you the very best will now cost you more than they did when they were released, I have been keeping an eye on a few like chrono trigger and 2 went this month over £100, so maybe now is the time to sell ;)

6. mission

mission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Emulation is the way to go. They even look nicer on a pc

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    if i had a pc in the front room i would probably try a few more emus but i do like to sit on the sofa whilst I play my games.

emus a great on the laptop whilst on away though.

8. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the Edge's RETRO mag this month! its a one off but a great read and boy! did it bring back some memorys! :D

Taz.:cool:

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    If i could find it anywhere I would.

apparently they have had some print problems and should be widely available tomorrow.

10. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Activision have just released a collection of old games for the PS2!!!!

Here it is

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/491/491542.html

I am getting it today, so will see how great it is!!!

But for most modern consoles you can get Snes and Megadrive emus. Gencast on the Dreamcast was the best Megadrive emu I saw!!! 500+ games on one disk!!

Dreamsnes was OK, but did not have Mario Kart, Street Fighter 2 CE or Turtles in Time on!!!!

11. Andy_stook_2k

Andy_stook_2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought my wife an Atari Lynx. Needless to say it gets more attention than the XBOX at the moment.
    Retro gaming really is super cool.:cool:

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

Cool! A mag all about me!

Might take a look.

Just bought Crystal Caves for the PC, it came out in 1992 I think. Great old platformer.

:D

13. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Is it as good as Last Ninja??? Or Myth on the C64???

14. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't beat Jeff Minter's classics - Attack of the Mutant Camels, Sheeps in Space et al.

Even Gridrunner was addictive.

My commie 64 lasted me years, even after I got an Amiga

But the Amiga. Now that was a machine - loved it to bits.
    80 Mb (yes Mb not Gb!) hard disk bolted on the side, extra memeory, brilliant.

Cant decide what my favourite game on there was tho. too many to choose.

R-Type, Superball (or any Bit Map Brother games)

15. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Did you not have Party Games??

16. Phemo

Phemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strangely, I, too have been in a retro gaming mood recently :) I downloaded an emulator to play Megadrive ROM's on a PS2, and while it's certainly amusing in a way to be playing those games on a PS2, it's still not quite the same as the real thing - it runs a tad slow on PS2. PC Emulation is where it's at, but as someone mentioned, it's just not the same unless you have a PC hooked up to the TV.

Recently I've acquired a japanese Sega Saturn - maybe not as retro as the Megadrive and SNES, but it's still getting on a bit now. Just trying to track down all the old games I used to have - I almost forgot how good they were :D

17. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think maybe I should up my offer on this pile of Sega stuff, getting very very tempting.

Saturn was fantastic, again, I was stupid enough to sell mine. Doh!

18. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
  19. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I reckon an xbox would be fantastic if it had a megadrive/snes emulator and a dvd will a ton of games on :)

I'd definately pay money for that :)

20. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL!:rolleyes:

Taz.:cool:

21. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah.. Its been a while ^_^ I too have been in a retro mood when I was waiting for Metroid Prime. I threw on Super Metroid, Contra III, Gunstar Heros, Terranigma. Mario Kart, Mario 3, Bomberman etc etc... Still as fresh as ever.

As for the Xbox thing.. My X-Ecuter II is on its way so I'll just say hello to Mame-X, Kgen-x and xSNES9x ^_- I'm also going to turn it into a HTPC of sorts but this isn't the right thread to talk about it.

I need more Sega Saturn stuff thats for sure... A key title would be Panzer Dragoon Saga but I'm sure thats still rather expensive and damn hard to find. I also kinda wished I kept my old Amstrad CPC 464 but the loading times would have annoyed me I'm sure...

Ah well, best get back to work to pay off my gaming bills >_<

22. Phemo

Phemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after Panzer Dragoon Saga myself, but as you said, it's damned hard to find. I saw it going on Ebay once for about 200 dollars ... pretty extortionate. I've managed to get about 9 games over the last week or so though - costing an average of about 7 quid each :D Dunno if anyone remembers it, but there was a damn good game for Saturn called Mysteria - I can only vaguely remember it now, but I know it kept me going for ages. Only prob is, all my games are Japanese 'cos my Saturn's Japanese and so buying text-intensive games is basically useless :)

It's great to play those classics, like Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighters Megamix. Got Guardian Heroes coming soon, too - that was a great game in its day :D

23. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Guardian Heros is pretty sweet and I've heard that there will be a sequel on the PS2 soon-ish. You should consider modding your Sega Saturn just to play US/Euro games.

If you just wanted to mod your Saturn to play USA games only then you can do it by yourself without any extra hardware (you just have to do a few things to the jumpers on the motherboard). If you wanted true universal play then its best to either invest in an Action Replay cart or a mod board. I'm personally after a mod board but I'll buy it in the new year. Bit skint atm >_<

Burning Rangers and Virtual On deserve a mention as well and hopefully Sega will make a sequel to Burning Rangers sometime soon... Virtual On: Marz is on its way to the PS2 so I'll pick it up once it hits the US ^_^ Never managed to own the Dreamcast version though sadly...

It really is great having all of these consoles about though and to play the classics in their original state. Just playing back Contra III on hard with 3 lifes and no coninues used is still a great buzz as it was back then.

24. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Don't forget Nights and the 3d pad!

25. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i had nights & xmas nights very good game did you get the Xmas nights i think they gave it away free.

26. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    Oh man remember multi-loader tape games on the C64?
    Nightmare they only ever continued about 50% of the time....arghhhh!

27. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought an Argo games console,with 84 games for £29.95 from www.simplyshoppingtv.co.uk. It is an 8 bit console with fantastic graphics,2 controllers and a gun.Games include 1942/Argus/Millipede/Adisland/Geimos/Exerion/B-Wings.There are so many great games,but the one i'm playing most is StarLuster;i downloaded the manual,but that was in japanese,so it had to be translated,which turned the english into pidgeon english.I don't know anyone who knows of an english manual site.
    I would thoroughly recommend it though;it connects via video/audio lead at the front of the tv.

28. BrynTeg

BrynTeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,935
    Spent ages and ages playing sensible soccer and then sensible world of soccer for the amiga,they were excellent games and i've never had that gaming experience since,also used to love mad doctor for the c64,you had to create a frankenstein monster!!killing villagers and hacking them up!!!!loads of fun at the time.:D

29. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Specky 48, Daily Thompsons Decathalon and the Kempston joystick (the little joystick that could :D ).

Can still remember the 'dents' left in the palm of my hand after the 200m hurdles or the weight lifting (no arm you may not fall off yet... wait for the three lights and then you can do whatever you want - pleasseeeee).

Going back even further. Missile command on the Atari 2600. I managed to clock the game once (remember no saves so it was like 4 hours continual play, or something like that). By that time it was coffee, matchstick holding the eyelids to prevent blinking and no time for thinking. I think somehow the eyes just moved the fingers without the delay of brain. I think my parents got quite worried with the staring and the twitch. Luckly they soon went away with a few hours rest.

Cheers
    RB