1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relisys RP42AB20(S) plasma problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by savechip, Oct 26, 2005.

1. savechip

savechip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first post, so please be gentle with me ;-)

I have a problem with my current set-up and I need some advice. I bought a Relisys RP42AB20(S) 42" plasma display recently. And before anyone comments, yes, I bought it because it was cheap. I knew that for the price (£800) there would be certain corners cut. It's definitely no Panny/Pio. That said, I've been pleasantly surprised with the picture quality. Admittedly, there is slight colour bleed on RGB SCART and a tendency to colour band at times. However it's certainly watchable. A slight grumble I have with the menu system is also annoying me - you can't turn off the digital NR, only set it to low and when you do this and switch the set off, it will be back to normal level when you switch it back on. However, all this I can live with. Apart from my number 1 niggle - motion judder when the camera pans quickly left (and to a lesser extent right). This happens on Sky+ via RGB SCART, but also from my Pioneer DVD player which is connected via a component cable outputting progressive scan. It is very noticeable when there are vertical lines in the picture and the camera pans quickly left, causing the line to break up. I've tried different menu settings on the DVD player and on the plasma, nothing seems to work.

My question is: how can I fix this? The plasma has a DVI connection, if I connected the DVD player via this, would there be any difference? Is it worth me buying some sort of video scaler/line doubler (but I thought this unnecessary as I am already using prog scan) - if so which one? Or will I need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a more expensive plasma?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is due to an internal 'clock' being set to probably 60Hz. Pioneer do this, and NEC, and Hitachi. The 1st 2 you can switch to PAL mode, 50 or 100Hz. Hitachis have some very tricky processing, and it's not so obvious, but a bit of judder is present if you look hard. What you have got is tearing, the 'worst case scenario, caused by cheap internals. The plasma is trying to convert 50Hz PAL framerate to 60Hz (probably - could be something different.) and failing miserably. I'm afraid to say the cure most likely involves the circular file. I don't think a scaler would help, unless it was one that costs nearly the same as a PHD8 panasonic. That might give you the result you seek, by doing the frame rate conversion itself, and feeding the screen at 60Hz. Cheapest option is to retire the relysis to be a giant PC monitor, run at 60Hz, and buy a better plasma.

3. mickymcd

mickymcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Buy the newer relisys i have none of these problems me and 3 others i know the RP42AB30 it the mutts nutts for the price !

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your mutt has very funny nuts mate!

5. martd77

martd77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also recently purchased the rp 42ab20 and my niglle is exactly the same the juddering onscreen when watching sky.
    The output of my very old panasonic th70 dvd system displays none of these attributes,no judder and no colour bleed or banding it is excellent.
    I spoke to the relisys technical in manchester and they said its due to the panel response being 25ms but it will only show on sky,and as i said previous it is only on sky i have this problem.
    Its currently in the process of being returned and im considering the philips 42pf5520d which has a 3ms response
    Any comments on the phillips much appreciated and where to purchase the relisys 42ab30
    cheers

6. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I always was thinking that all plasma screens have instantaneous response times (0ms). But I might be wrong :confused:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not 0 Ms, but close, is normal. Relysis tech support are wrong, in this case. a slow response time gives smearing, not judder and picture shear. That is frame rate conversion. All you ex-tiny owners will be familiar. On the relysis there is no cure AFAIK, there is no menu option like NEC and Pioneer. Anyone in any doubt, search for Pioneer xde and PC. They are fixed internally at 56.25Khz, but only accept 60Hz inputs on VGA. So, when you run your high def clips on VGA, it stutters and tears. It's only critical on VGA with video, you don't see it on still images like the desktop. Processing is different and better on the video inputs, so the effects are hard to see on HDMI and other inputs.

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    if you can live with it for sky, buy US R1 dvds and they won't judder, assuming the plasma is running at 60Hz (the same as NTSC)

9. savechip

savechip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice. I tried a R1 DVD and could not see any tearing/judder. However I only have one R1 DVD and there's not much panning. If it's any use I do notice that when I play R2 DVDs, the refresh rate says 50Hz in the bottom right corner of the screen and for R1 DVDs it says 60Hz. Does this mean that when it says 50Hz, it is not quite 50Hz?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The screen displays the refresh rate it's recieving. It's the external/internal mismatch that is giving you grief. You can see stutter even in a 2k scaler going from 50 to 60Hz, but they don't tear.

11. martd77

martd77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats helpful to know and im not denying your intellect in these matters its certainly more than my experience as this is our first large tv.
    are you clearly saying that unless we but pioneer,nec or panasonic we have to put up with the juddering on sky?more noticable when sky sports ticker tape runs jerkily along the bottom of the screen
    Earlier point about dvd judder,all my dvds are r2 and there is no judder or jerky credits when playing the dvds on this screen.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No No, there are judder free plasmas from other makes. You need to check others opinions on what you buy, and see them run. LG and Samsung are judder free.