1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relisys RLT1720 'whistles'

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jon Weaver, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have just got my RLT1720 and so far am quite impressed (other than the klunky tuning system).

However, it make a REALLY high pitched noise which is annoying me.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just mine?

2. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nothing on mine Jon

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I rang Relisys and they are sending out a replacement tommorow.. Can fault that for service!

4. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My Sharp 22" LCD has a very high pitched whine. It's intensity varies with the Brightness setting. Strangely, the dimmer the brightness setting the louder the noise.

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    My whine seems vary with the tuner frequency, as whilst doing an 'auto tune' last night, the whine got louder and quieter and sometimes disappeared.

Saying that, it could be that the intensity of the screen changed during the tuning.

Fingers crossed that the new one will be OK, but I must admit that I have my doubts.

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I got my 2nd screen today and guess what, it whistles too!!

Its very annoying and I don't know what to do.

The noise is so high pitched that its actually affecting my hearing.. Even when I am in a different room, I can now hear the 'whistle' all the time..

I started to wonder if it was my hearing that had the whistle, but polling several people has confirmed that it does make a noise.

I know I am fussy, but I can't believe that this is normal.. I am sure that other people would have noticed this.

My LCD is in the study, which can be quiet or noisy.. When its quiet, the whistle is obvious.. But even when its noisy (i.e the volume is up and my PC (With 2 Hard-Drives) are running), I can still hear it.. Not because of the volume, but because of the ultra-high frequency of the pitch.

Can other Relisys owner please double check that they TVs are TOTALLY silent.. I am hoping that mine is simply a case of a bad batch, as both TVs have the same build date!

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I checked out my neighbours 1720 which was bought the same time as me (although his is the silver model).

His whistles too!

In his case, its not a problem, as its in the corner of his bedroom and he watches from 8-10 feet away.

But in my case, its on my desk and I watch it from 2-3 feet away.

The noise is REALLY shrill and its so bad, its giving me a form of tinnitus.. One I have stopped watching, I can hear the EXACT same noise in my ears for hours afterwards!

I really hope that there is a solution to this, as my only option is to get rid of it.. But I only payed £250 and for that kind of money, I want to keep it!!!

8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Is there no one with an RLT1720 who is willing to confirm whether they have this problem.

I know that I am fussy, but I refuse to accept that ANYONE could tollerate the noise that they make for extended periods..

If it was being used from a distance, then maybe.. But ultimatly, its a monitor and you have to use that up close.

I am desperate for help, as I need to know whether I am wasting my time.. If they ALL do this, then I will have no choice but to get rid of it.. But if this is just a 'batch' problem, then there is a chance that I can get Relisys to do something.

Please please please.. Can someone help me?

Jon

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Sorry to keep on, but I have just done some tests and have more info.

1. The frequency of noise is around 5k and there seems to be another slightly lower sound at 10k and another even lower at 15K.

2. The noise is actually coming from the speakers!

3. The noise is only there on the Tuner and AV inputs.. As soon as you put it in PC mode, it goes quiet (before it switches off due to 'no signal')

This makes me think that its a Tuner board problem and not the screen itself and I wonder if this has anything to do with the 'new' Teletext tuner?

I am going to speak with Relisys to see if I can 'borrow' an old tuner, just as a test..

If anyone else can verify this, I would be grateful.

Jon

10. Stefan_Tapp

Stefan_Tapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Jon,

I have the black/silver model with the teletext tuner and there are no whistles from mine.

Stefan

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Interesting.. How old is it?? Any chance you could give me the first few digits of the serial no?? Mine is R83, which means that it was manufactured in the 8th Month of 2003.

I lied about this only being the 'tuner'.. When I put it in PC mode, it goes quiet, but as soon as I connect an input to the VGA connector, the PC input makes a noise too.

It reassuring that yours doens't make the whistle, which means that either there is a problem with my mains supply, or there is a bad batch.

Any other Relisys owners able to comment??

12. Stefan_Tapp

Stefan_Tapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mine is R73

Stef

13. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Stef,

Can you just confirm what you can hear from the speakers if you put your ear right up to it??

On mine, I get a kind of buzzing/hiss, which I accept as normal... But as well as this, I get the 'high pitched' whine which I keep going on about.

I took my screen to a friends house today, to prove that it wasn't the mains.. At his house it was exactly the same, however, worringly (for me), he said that he could hear the noise, but it didn't even register to him that it was a problem.

On the way home, I went to another friend and decided to get his opinion.. Again, he could hear it, but he felt that he could live with it.

Personally I can't live with it, as its driving me nuts and I feel that there are 2 explainations.

1. ALL of the 1720s are like this, but most people arn't affected by the noise.. Where as I am just sensitive to it.

2. Only the R83 batch is affected and other people screens are not.

14. Stefan_Tapp

Stefan_Tapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Jon,

If I mute the sound and place my ear 6" or nearer, I can just hear a slight whistle, but only from that distance and with the sound muted. When the volume is on normal, I can't hear any whistle at all. My hearing is sensitive too! I have heard power supply whistles in previous TV's where nobody else in the house could!!

Hope that helps?

Stef

15. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    R93 for mine.

16. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Stef

The fact that you can hear the 'whine' makes me think that we both have the same 'problem' but you are not sensitive to the noise.

In my case, I can obviously hear the whine up close.. I can clearly hear it from 2-3 feet away and its still noticable from the other side of the room.

I do feel that this is less of a problem if its being used as a TV (i.e many feet away).. But as a monitor, where you would sit perhaps 1 foot from the screen, I can't believe that anyone could tolerate long term exposure to it!

17. freduk

freduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is silent. I'm no expert but understood that dodgy connections cause buzzing noise.

Freddy

18. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    And no whistle?? Even if you put your ear to the speakers???

This isn't a dodgy connection thing... If I just put power to the screen and have NO other connections (including TV Co-Ax), it whines on Tuner, AV1 and AV2... But PC is completely silent.

It strange that I have had access to 3 screens, all of which are the same.. I can only assume (And hope) that this is simply a bad batch!

19. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I am p**sed off now.. Relisys have looked at my screen and said that they can't hear anything wrong.

I may be too sensitive to this noise, but its a fact that its there.. I have a spectrum analyser trace to prove it.

If they had said that they could hear a whine, but it was "within spec", then I would alteast know where I stand.

But the fact that they deny that its there, either means that I am going mad, or I have 'hyper-sensitive' hearing!

20. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe its just lcd panels? my pronto whines when you got your ear close to it, maybe its just part of the technology??
    only a thought

21. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Slightly different.. My Pronto does this, as does my Palm.. However, in this case its VERY quiet and its coming from the screen.

My Relisys whine is clearly audible from 5-6 feet and its coming from the speakers.. The LCD itself is TOTALLY silent, even from the back where all of the electronics are!

22. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi jon I don't think your going mad, read this thread a few days back and having own a relisys (black and silver) didn't think it applied to mine because I have never heard anything on my screen, however I was sitting there this morning with the volume very low and no noise in the house and I could heard a whine slightly high pitched but not pierecing, it doesnt sound as bad as yours but I must admit sat there and thought that doesnt sound too bad and I could live with it and then as I sat there longer it did start winding me up and I couldn't not think about, cranked the volume up tonight (just a tad) and I can't hear it at all, so no probs, you may well have a screen which is obviously worse then the rest... can you hear the whine no matter what volume the tv is on,,, if it does go at what volume can you not hear the whine, it won't help you but it may well be the same as mine, and it comes down to the fact that I doesn't bother me where it does you.... sorry to hear about relysis customer servicem shame there not willing to listen.

23. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    When the volume is up, I can't hear it, but I can certainly 'sense' it.. Relisys have finally acknowledged that they can hear the noise, but they don't believe that its a problem.

Looks like I will have to live with it!!