1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relisys LCD TV connection question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Leigh_1973, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Looking to buy the relisys 17" w/s LCD tv for bedroom, but noticed the lack of scart connection.

Currently i have an NTL box which then connects to my old sony S336 DVD player which then connects to my existing 14" portable TV by scart.

So my question is how would i got about connecting this all up to the Relisys TV?

Thanks

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    anyone? i know a few people on here have these

3. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one but I only plug mine in using an internal arial.

If I were to connect one however, I would be looking for a Scart to component converter.

I'm don't know much about specs, price or what quality you would get. Perhaps someone else could help.

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Could i use on of the scart leads where its a scart connection one end and then phono, s-video (or whatever) the other end, or would i need some sort of convertor that plugs into the mains etc?

5. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said, I'm not fully aware of the pros and cons of different methods. You can buy Scart to S-Video leads which will do as you require.

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/653-qed-scart-svideo.html

I don't know the quality that you could expect from this.

You can also buy boxes that convert from Scart to Component. I belive that these need pluging into the mains and the price reflects this. These boxes process the signal to do the conversion rather than being a simple reasignment of output line to input line.

I belive that this would probably give you the best quality but I could not advise you on which one to get. These retail for about £80.

Once again - I am no expert on this (new to the field myself !). So don't take my word for it (I have been know to be wrong). Try posting (or searching) in the Cables and Cabling forum and I'm sure someone will have more (better !) advice.

Duncs

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    NTL sends RGB or composite video via scart. So a scart to svideo lead will not work since the NTL is not sending out a svideo signal.

An RGB to Component converter is require for best connection since this will physically change the signal from RGB colourspace to YUV (it's not a pin for pin thing so a simple scart to 3 phono video + 2 phono audio lead will not work). The JS technology model (the only one we recommend without fail) is more like £150. It is likely that this extra cost will likely mean it is better to just get a different LCD TV!! You could run a scart to three phono (video, L audio and R audio) but the picture quality is low.

Just a quick reminder that connection questions chould really be in the cables forum now...

7. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks liam, I just used s-video as an example, the tv does take a composite signal AFAIK, so could i get a scart to composite lead?

Currently the NTL box feeds to my old Sony 336 player, which is connected via scart to my existing TV, if it has any other form of output (so long since i looked at the back!) could i connect via that (im guessing yes)

Failing that can you recommend any other decent LCD i should consider?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum! :blush:

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The Sony will not convert what it recieves from NTL, only pass-thru. So you are still limited to composite or RGB (the Sony will output SVHS but the NTL will still need to be connected somehow). Don't know many 17" LCDs myself so can't recomend I'm afraid.

9. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the JS RGB to S-Video converter? Do you have any views on this product?

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Is a good product and if budget is tight the best comproimise available to you - we use them where Sky is not to be used anywhere near as much as DVD. Component converter will give the sharpest picture however

11. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Doesnt have to be 17", just liked the look, picture and price of that model, any other suggestions welcome.

Just a quick thought, the NTL box does have an RF connection, could i connect that to the RF input on the TV, not the best choice i know....

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Not worth it for RF, go for another 17 with RGB scart and component if you can!

13. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to have hijacked this thread a bit but the origional post has got me thinking about when I get Sky Multiroom.

Liam - According to my Relisys manual, the TV accepts RGB Analogue. I assume that this is via the VGA port.

Would the RGB Scart output on a Sky/NTL box be compatible with the Analogue RGB on the Relisys (assuming it uses the VGA port)? Are there any issues with screen sizing and so on?

14. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No problem ;)

Just had this from Relisys about connecting from a scart output to the 1720

"To connect to the RLT1720 you will need a scart to phono (Yellow – Video, Red and White-Audio L+R) and connect to the AV1 input. Make sure you get the correct one or a switchable one." (is this composite? im getting all confused now ;) )

How bad is the picture quality likely to be?

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    This is composite and likely to be a noisy picture, but it is gonna be cheap to do and if important to you the signal can run for miles without more loss!

To Duncs point - the Relisys is very unlikely to work with a straight cable, if it can accept 15.625 kHz horizontal frequency via the d-sub then an RGB signal *should* be able to be passed to it using a SyncBlaster or JS RGB to Plasma VGA (which will splice the sync out to RGBHV). Even so it's gonna cost £70 for a cheap syncblaster if it does work, there must be other screens out there that won't be such a pain!

16. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam - Very helpful :thumbsup:

Guess the Relisys wasn't as much a bargin as I thought. Lucky it was only bought for a portable/second TV.

Leigh - On the basis of Liams points and the connectivity problems I will have in the near future, I would suggest you steer clear of this particular set. Even though I will probably pay the money for the converters (when the time comes) I think you would probably by happier with a TV with Scart.

17. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    was starting to think the same, trouble is, i cant see a set that is w/s, looks as nice for the same sort of money :(

18. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It's a question of your requirements really. If the Relisys plus a converter is still cheaper than the next best telly then go for it!!

19. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my Relisys with a Scart - Composite converter in the bedroom from my Sky box and are entirely happy with the picture. Yes - it is not as good as the component output from my DVD player, but is any Sky picture ? Problems are not nearly as visible as on larger screens ...

20. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks for that insight wandersen, useful to know! :) I'll have to see if i can see one running on Composite

21. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    That's easy - any TV setup in Currys, Comet etc will be running nasty composite with dodgy settings :p

22. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :laugh: funny you should say that, went to a large currys last night, guess what composite!, although to my suprise there were a few LCD's running on scart!

23. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Even if they were setup Scart, it would be composite via scart!! JL nearly got it right once, I was in one of their stores a while back and each Sharp Aquos LCD had it's own Toshiba 220 DVD player to show off how good it was. So they had a player with RGB scart or Component outputs, and TVs with RGB scart and on the bigger ones component video inputs. They even had them connected with fully wired scart leads, but you can't get into the setup menu on the tosh without the remote and it was set to composite output!!

"Can you go get the remote so I can see how good this telly actually is?",
    "No Sir we keep getting them stolen",
    "Well you keep it in your hand and I'll tell you what to press then you can put it back in it's box later, you will likely sell more TVs if they're set up to their full potential",
    "No Sir we're not allowed",
    "GoodBye.".

24. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    oh dear

25. Andy_K

Andy_K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a scart to composite cable with my main Sony TV and Sky plus - picture quality is fine - cable cost £14 from Dixons I think. Maybe there are better solutions, but price wise a scart to RYB composite is cheap.