Religious Christmas?

Are you celebrating a religious Christmas?

• Yes

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • No - I'm not religious

Votes: 55 83.3%
  • No - I belong to another religion

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters

nonumb

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Will you be celebrating a religious Christmas this year?

As its christmas time and an important part of the year for christians lets keep this free of any judgement, arguments about religion vs science etc I'm just curious. (and I know I've been guilty of this in the past)

Personally I really like christmas its one of my favourite times of year. When I was growing up it was the only time (other than easter) where I'd go to church. Having made up my mind on religion I no longer go, but I do miss the carols. If I went to a carol service for nostalgia would I be hypocritical?

As an atheist I obviously wont celebrate the religious side but I enjoy the family side of it and generally its just a happy day!

Poll coming shortly...

Last edited:
I have some faith, but only in people.

Having made up my mind on religion I no longer go, but I do miss the carols. If I went to a carol service for nostalgia would I be hypocritical?

don't see why, chuck a few quick in the collection tin, get as involved as everyone else, don't share your views(I'm sure you wouldn't anyway) and I'm sure any church would be happy to have you.

Will you be celebrating a religious Christmas this year?

No, not me - never have. However, since Christmas is much broader than just a Christian celebration and has roots back long before Christian times I think it's a very inclusive festival... long may that continue!

Merry Chrimbo all. :thumbsup:

No, not me - never have. However, since Christmas is much broader than just a Christian celebration and has roots back long before Christian times I think it's a very inclusive festival... long may that continue!

Merry Chrimbo all. :thumbsup:

And you cant be a few days of public holiday for getting everyone in the mood!

Winter in Britain would be terrible without Christmas to cheer everyone up!

I'm working everyday this christmas, have no time for it sadly.

Apparently in America, the Whitehouse referred to putting up their "holiday tree", such is the swing towards not mentioning Christmas for fear of being politically incorrect.

Yes, I will be celebrating Christmas. I know it's an adaptation of a pagan festival and not even the accurate date of His birth but that's irrelevant.

Apparently in America, the Whitehouse referred to putting up their "holiday tree", such is the swing towards not mentioning Christmas for fear of being politically incorrect.

Yes, I will be celebrating Christmas. I know it's an adaptation of a pagan festival and not even the accurate date of His birth but that's irrelevant.

I'm not going to get into a debate so fair play to you have a good 'holiday season' ;)

Just joking enjoy your Christmas!

Poll is awkward.

I have a Xmas tree, I have no aversion to carols, they sound nice, I have no aversion to my little girl playing a Shephead in a nativity play, it's a nice story.

I am frustrated my little girl is expected to say grace at her school Xmas dinner, that should not be done as defacto, but overall I will be enjoying Christmas on a level which ensures me and my family enjoy it and if some of those activities correlate to a relegious Christmas then I'm fine with that and won't be frothing at the mouth trying to avoid it.

I will go to the Christingle ceremony at the local church but am not particularly religious. I go mainly because it is such a nice event and really gets you in the mood for Christmas. I may also attend a carol concert for the same reason.

The "Holidays" thing from America is nothing to do with Atheists though it's about being inclusive to the other celebrations like hanakka and quanza (excuse my spelling), there is no fear about mentioning Christmas.

Edit- Snopes also says the story is nonsence, the whitehouse call them Christmas tree's.

Last edited:
Religious Christmas? - not on your nelly!

I am frustrated my little girl is expected to say grace at her school Xmas dinner, that should not be done as defacto

I'm not religious but the way I see it is that what the kids are saying in their school prayers (our boy says a prayer at the end of the school day) is quite nice and a positive thing. I am certainly not going to draw any attention to it as being a bone of contention to agree or disagree with.

Poll is awkward.

I should clarify, by religious I mean you are celebrating the birth of jesus as the main reason. If you are just attending carol services etc then I'd say vote no.

I should clarify, by religious I mean you are celebrating the birth of jesus as the main reason. If you are just attending carol services etc then I'd say vote no.

Ok understood, then that would be no.

Christmas to me is about Family, Friendship, Love, Good food, a little nice drink, a nice warm decorated home and exchanging gifts.

No issues at all with those celebrating Jesus' birth though, it's a lovely story and I find the carols etc quite beutiful.

Exactly how I see it. Really look forward to spending the whole day with the family enjoying each others company (and one too many glasses of champagne!)

signs said:
Religious! , i just thought it was when Santa was born :blush:

Surely you mean father christmas?

All xmas does is put a hole in my beer drinking pocket money - humbug!

Last edited:
Personally, It wouldn't be Christmas for me without going to Christmas Eve mass with my family. We always have a crib in the house as well, and the children put the figure of the baby in the manger on Christmas morning on the way through the kitchen before receiving their presents.

Apart from that, it's eat, drink and be very merry!!

Of course, I'll celebrate it for what it means - "queue getting flamed because of some pagan festival it was based on from 1000 years ago" which is celebration of Christs birth. We'll go to Church and have the Carol service and mulled wine afterwards. Then on Christmas day, its a run around from breakfast at my folks, to lunch\dinner at the in laws. Then my wife and I will eat our gingerbread house we made last week (She assures me it will still be fine to eat)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom