• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Religion a godsend or a total waste of time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I expect this may of been discussed on here and countless forums and before the great invention of the web .

I myself believe all religions as an invention of man and nothing more than an act of control the common man throughout time. Look at the various religions today and in ancient times and they all have rules of how to act and behave . Just like work infect where your boss tells you how it should be done because of work procedures . Much like a god created by man and hat gives rules created by man.

In ancient times we as mankind were tribal by nature and we still are as our religious beliefes still are . Ancient belief had nature as our religion man at harmony with mother earth we lost that early on to early i think . Politics became in vex in our religious beliefs and took a lot away . Our gods became us men or women and later men only because politics re wrote the texts.

I'm not against religious beliefs but the fact that all you believe in now is a lie written by no more than a committee.

And what gods would condone the acts we submit upon each other ? As you might tell I'm a non believer so make me believe .

D

Deleted member 30535

2rxjqe1.png

It's been done to death so many times I'm starting to believe in the after life!

raduv1

Distinguished Member

nonumb

I don't reject the notion of a God outright but I feel that believing any of the organised religions is highly illogical.

I've had some great conversations with the jehovas witnesses recently. They have come up with plenty of arguments for a god but have never been able to give an argument as to why their beliefs are more rational than any other religion.

Sonic67

Banned
I expect this may of been discussed on here and countless forums and before the great invention of the web .

Not on here I think.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I think religion can offer comfort to people and it's a good coping mechanism for some. Personally I'm not religious because I don't like being told what to think.

Foebane72

It's funny, I don't believe in Christ, Muhammad, Shiva, Buddha or anything like that, but I also can't quite grasp that the Universe spontaneously came out of nothing, neither.

Tommy Teapot

It's funny, I don't believe in Christ, Muhammad, Shiva, Buddha or anything like that, but I also can't quite grasp that the Universe spontaneously came out of nothing, neither.

me too, i dont believe in fairy tales and i cant understand where we came from.

weetsie

but I also can't quite grasp that the Universe spontaneously came out of nothing, neither.

Once I discovered it's possible for the total of everything to be nothing it started making more sense.

It's like having £10 in your hand, but owing the bank £10. You physically have the money, but when you take your debt into consideration you have nothing.

dvdphile

Once I discovered it's possible for the total of everything to be nothing it started making more sense.

It's like having £10 in your hand, but owing the bank £10. You physically have the money, but when you take your debt into consideration you have nothing.

Where did the £10 come from though? Did it spontaneously appear from nothing or was it created by someone?? ;)

JamesP1701

I've gone from being a strong agnostic to about to start training to be a priest so have views from both sides!!

dvdphile

I don't reject the notion of a God outright but I feel that believing any of the organised religions is highly illogical.

I've had some great conversations with the jehovas witnesses recently. They have come up with plenty of arguments for a god but have never been able to give an argument as to why their beliefs are more rational than any other religion.

If you're really interested they have a website:
Jehovah's Witnesses--Who Are They? What Do They Believe? - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

As for being more rational than any other religion I'm not sure what you mean?
They are a christian religion and do follow the bible pretty much to the letter.

dvdphile

I've gone from being a strong agnostic to about to start training to be a priest so have views from both sides!!

That's pretty radical! :eek: May I ask what changed your mind and why you chose Catholicism?? :confused:

JamesP1701

dvdphile said:
That's pretty radical! :eek: May I ask what changed your mind and why you chose Catholicism?? :confused:

Long story about the change! Will tell tomorrow (when not so knackered). Not catholic- c of e.

dvdphile

Long story about the change! Will tell tomorrow (when not so knackered). Not catholic- c of e.

Ok. No problem. Sorry about confusion but always think of Catholic priests, forget about CofE.:facepalm:

D

Deleted member 63670

Religion is nothing more than mass control, the greatest form of imprisonment is to make people think they are free, and religion is the genius method of doing this. Take all these different religions, although they appear different they are actually all based around the same basic stuff, a god (or god's), certain holy days, book of rules (koran, bible etc) etc etc. Once you get some suckers hooked on the rubbish and he/she believes it and follows these 'rules' then you have a very effective mass control mechanism.

As the years have gone by science (and common sense) has eroded away alot of religious nonsense, I mean 500 years ago when vikings saw an eclipse they thought it was some day god and night god waging war, they then had to do some silly dance and voila the magic has worked and the sun god won the battle, but now we know that regardless if they did their silly dance or not the same outcome would have happened, the sun would still have shone brightly. Same goes for my boss at work (Hindu) trying to tell me that one of their gods (Ganesh, I think) who had his head chopped off and replaced by an elephants head actually happened, normally a rational guy yet he believes this stuff. Well and truly under the control mechanism!!!

I'm sounding like David Icke now!

dvdphile

But, who's controlling who, and how well is it working??

nonumb

dvdphile said:
If you're really interested they have a website:
Jehovah's Witnesses--Who Are They? What Do They Believe? - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

As for being more rational than any other religion I'm not sure what you mean?
They are a christian religion and do follow the bible pretty much to the letter.

I know who they are and largely what they believe. The fact they follow the Bible does not make them rational to me. I have spoken to them for over an hour on 4 separate occasions and they have not given me a single rational argument to show their religion is the one true religion and all others are wrong. I have got them to concede that they have no way of knowing its just what they believe.

To me the single best argument against religion is simply the number of religions around. Christianity didn't exist until until after Judaism and Islam didn't exist until after Christianity. How can Christians be so sure their version of Judaism is correct and that they didn't miss a trick when Islam came along.

And what about church of England? To me that makes absolutely no sense! Henry VIII just changed Catholicism so he could get divorced. If you believe this is okay then under what grounds? Divine right of kings? Do you then believe that the queen has a divine right?

Then what about before Christianity or Judaism where was the religion then? Did god just ignore everyone before then?

The JWs had the best counter arguments of any religious person I have ever met but still had no reason other than belief to say they were right. We eventually got onto more philosophy than religion and the need or not for a creator of some description.

Religion does not answer all questions at all. If you say something ie the universe cannot come from nothing so there must be a god then then you can use the same argument against a god. Where did god come from he must have a creator?

And argument they used was - Imagine a person writes a computer programme that is intelligent self aware etc it wouldn't form without a creator ie us. But then where did we come from? Until you either accept that something can come from nothing or it can always be present then you can't used it as an argument for god. If you accept something can always have been around then why not the universe in one form or another.

Forgive my ramblings its late and I've had a drink so it's probably not that coherent but there's a few of the reasons I think religion is illogical!

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Religion is nothing more than mass control, the greatest form of imprisonment ...

I often think this about mass entertainment these days, be it thousands of channels of satellite TV, or PS3s, the internet, or the new obsession, the mobile phone.

Is it just a ploy to take peoples minds off the troubles in their lives and in the world. As long as they have the latest Samsung phone, sure the Gov can do whatever they want, right?

Last edited:

phil t

And what about church of England? To me that makes absolutely no sense! Henry VIII just changed Catholicism so he could get divorced. If you believe this is okay then under what grounds? Divine right of kings? Do you then believe that the queen has a divine right?

Henry VIII did little more than allowing the English Protestants to freely practice their faith without the fear of death.

I think maybe you're confused as to what the divine right of kings is?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom