Relief Recording on HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nwgarratt, Feb 21, 2004.

1. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    The manual isn't that clear about relief recording.

It saids that using a timer recording and there is not enough space on the RAM, it switches to the HDD.

Does that mean when setting the timer for RAM and if there isn't enough room. the timer settings just switch to HDD and the whole recording gets put on the HDD.

Or does it record onto the RAM and then swicth to the HDD when the RAM is full?

I think it is the first one.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you look at the timer page in the menu, it tells you where it will record. If there isn't space on the ram it records to the hdd, and says relief. This is also usefull as when you have a lot of programs set up to record regularly, it puts an exclamation mark against those set to record to the hdd when there is not enough room. This means you know when you need to delete or delete and archive to make enough space.
    If you think about it, it would be undesirable to record part on one and the rest on another as this means the program is divided and can't be recombined. If you need it on ram you can always high speed dub to a ram with enough space later.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    Thanks for that.

THe HS2 does have some ncie features. I am used to the E50 but find the hard disk functions fascinating. I am getting used to the dubbing at the moment.

The only bad thing at the moment, I could get more recording time on a RAM at FR on the E50 than the HS2 at 704 resolution before it drops down to 352.

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You never need to use ram once you have the hard drive. Record everything to the hdd and archive to -r if you want to keep it. I would only use ram for parts of a series over several weeks, dub them back to the hhd and burn all to a -r in one go. I don't like not finalising a -r in one session, and it is much easier to use FR when you dub all the programs in one hit.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I use RAM for editing on a computer. I only record series (Star Trek, CSI etc).

It is only a matter of time before the 40GB HDD is full.