Relic Review & Comments

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I genuinely thought this was a review for the Tom Sizemore movie for a sec then! Unfortunately, I’ve gone off horror lately so may be a while before I check this out!

richp007

Distinguished Member
I genuinely thought this was a review for the Tom Sizemore movie for a sec then! Unfortunately, I’ve gone off horror lately so may be a while before I check this out!
So did I for a minute :laugh:

This is on my list, big fan of The Babadook and Hereditary.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Is Hereditary more of an atmospheric, creepy horror? Any jump scares?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Is Hereditary more of an atmospheric, creepy horror? Any jump scares?
There are a few bits that will probably make you gasp. One in particular haunts pretty much the entire movie.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Ah mate, I nearly turned it down because I really didn't think there was any bandwidth to revisit that Sizemore movie. Took me a minute to realise people weren't suddenly reappraising Sizemore's film as the latest classic.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
There are a few bits that will probably make you gasp. One in particular haunts pretty much the entire movie.
Oooo not sure I like the sound of that. :D I think I peaked too soon watching Nightmare on Elm Street VHS at 8 years old! :D I think something like The Wretched is more my level now. :D

encaser

Hereditary made me laugh by the end - well, the car scene before that, too.
Saw this earlier and the old bird was good but I lost the scare vibe early in and then yet another ridiculous ending.
It's a good ad for attending to and getting mould cleaner and smashing windows, though.

Evinger

Thanks for the Review Cas. I might have rented this otherwise, but like @bruce-leroy I stopped with "modern" horror some time ago, so horror plus dementia? Well, I'm no spring chicken - who wants to see their possible future! ;)

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Oooo not sure I like the sound of that. :D I think I peaked too soon watching Nightmare on Elm Street VHS at 8 years old! :D I think something like The Wretched is more my level now. :D
Thanks for the Review Cas. I might have rented this otherwise, but like @bruce-leroy I stopped with "modern" horror some time ago, so horror plus dementia? Well, I'm no spring chicken - who wants to see their possible future! ;)
Kinda agree, I'm not huge into horror, but I'm always impressed when they do something different with the genre (ditto for any genre I don't normally turn to - The Happiest Season was a good sideways effort in the romcom genre).

So if you tried (and appreciated) Babadook, that's really the marker on whether you should try both this and (for Bruce) Hereditary.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I came here because of the Sizemore movie too :blush::D

Evinger

Loved the Book The Relic & its follow up, but the Sizemore Movie? :facepalm:

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Cas is like ‘enough with the Sizemore stuff!’
Do a review of the Sizemore Relic Cas, you know you want to now :D
I really don't.

But you have peer-pressured me into looking it up and it looks like it's available in 108p SSD (sub-standard-def) on the BBC iPlayer, so the effects may look better than ever. Maybe this time I'll watch it all the way through to the end without my mind drifting. No promises.

For me Sizemore was never better than in Black Hawk Down, taking a bullet to the throat and pushing on through. Wish the guy had had more roles like that, although you can see from his filmography that it was the kind of part that informed almost every other role he was offered, however sub-par.

Last edited:

Evinger

For me Sizemore was never better than in Black Hawk Down, taking a bullet to the throat and pushing on through. Wish the guy had had more roles like that,
So, perfect as a Stormtrooper or "Tough Guy #1 with no lines" I take it? ;)

Evinger

I don't know about Tom Sizemore, but the career of Peter Hyams is one that urgently needs a critical reappraisal.
Anyone who drummed for Bill Evans is alright by me!
(He Directed some fun Movies as well!)

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I don't know about Tom Sizemore, but the career of Peter Hyams is one that urgently needs a critical reappraisal.
Totally.

Capricorn One, Outland, Star Chamber, 2010 and Narrow Margin are all classics, Presidio's great fun, and he also did some surprisingly good work with Van Damme and ARNIE.

Sudden Death was good, Timecop was fun, and VD's biggest hit, End of Days had some fun - dark - ideas and a great Gabriel Byrne, and actually Arnie put in a dash of acting for a change.

And he handed the baton to his son for some solid VD movies too, I've always got time for some reappraisal of the later UniSol sequels (Day of Reckoning's reworking of Apocalypse Now is tremendous, for what it is).

richp007

Distinguished Member
I've always enjoyed Hyams' work as well. The sheer audacity in End of Days to declare the mark of the beast wasn't 666 but 999 - as in 1999 - is one of the greatest plot devices in cinema history.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

NAD Launches CI 16-60 DSP Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett