Reliable Reviews

• Thread starter Deleted member 103335
  • Start date

Deleted member 103335

Reaction score
What website is generally regarded as the most honest, reliable, fair and accurate game reviews? I want to know what is regarded as the best by the majority of people. I normally use IGN before deciding on buying a game but certain games such as Prey and F.E.A.R recieved over 9.0+ out of 10 and to me that seems a little unrealistic especially with Prey in mind which I dont believe to a 9 out of 10 game.

None of them, at the end of the day its only their opinion.

If you have access to it, the Channel 4 teletext "GameCentral" (and on digital text, 805 on ITV) is the only resource that has always given acurate and unflinching reviews in my opinion. Their reviews of Halo 2, Redsteel, Gears of War and others are superb, highlighting the faults that other sites seem to skip over. And 5/10 really is an average, rather than the "70-80% is still a bit poor, really" scoring system on other sites.

Russell

Yeah but I want to know what is generally regarded by most people as THE best source for games reviews. I read somewhere that EDGE magazine is supposed to be one of the very best as it rarely gives any games 10/10. For example, FEAR got 9.1 on IGN yet 77% on Gametrailers. I need to know which source is regarded as most accurate or which source is most used. I understand that each person has their own opinion, but surely there must be a source that normally provides the general common opinion that is felt by the majority?

Not really every source has its faults.

Edge tend to be overly harsh and some feel them to be 'snobby' and deliberately mark games down just to be different. The big online sites such as IGN tend to be a bit generic in their comments and sometimes for me, don't go into detail about the gameplay. GamesTM which I rate highly also has its faults...

I don't think their is a gaming bible nor will there ever be one. Games are too subjective to have a definitive review. Your best bet is to read a variety of sources, highlight what they say about the gameplay and make your own judgment. Often playing the game is the best way to review it, so perhaps consider joining an online rental site to form your own opinion.:thumbsup:

I get gamesTM myself.

I find www.gametrailers.com video reviews to be reasonably honest and the fact your watching the game helps you draw your own conclusions. In the end though its all just opinion and influence, your best off reading a few from different sites.

I like the look of that metacritic website. I like the fact that it is rated on an overall average of a selection of review from top gaming sources. This ensures that you are getting top quality games! Are there any other sites similar to that?

I like the look of that metacritic website. I like the fact that it is rated on an overall average of a selection of review from top gaming sources. This ensures that you are getting top quality games! Are there any other sites similar to that?

No need really, metacritic gives you all the reviews. No I don't have shares in the site. :)

I tend to use www.gamespot.com and I find their reviews pretty accurate and they gave Prey 7.6, much more realistic than 9!! They also do tend to review games for what they are and ignore the hype surrounding the release, infact the only gave Zelda 8.8

I like www.gamerankings.com has averages of all the websites, and also lets you look at the individual reviews.

Eurogamer.net is pretty good too, they are also pretty good for news as well!

Erm, here! - If you can find them in the hundreds of replies, you'll find nearly every side of ever argument.
Other than that - eurogamer.net reviews are generally extremely close to my point of view on most games.

As someone said, none of them.

Places like Metacritic and Gamerankings will give you an average of everyones reviews, which is as useful as you're gonna get

Or just buy GamesTM. They're better than most websites.

I regularly read eurogamer.net and look at gamerankings.com when I want to read some further reviews.

I dont read other reviews, I mainly rent the game first have a play and then buy if needed.

My game experience will always be different to someone who has to test so many games per month.

gamespot has it all reviews, user opinions and lots of video footage too of releases, trailers and reviews

I always check this site out :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom