1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliable reviews for Panasonic NV-GS1/3/5 and NV-DS29/30

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by twuyts, Sep 28, 2002.

1. twuyts

twuyts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,
    I'm currently investigating whether to buy a Panasonic NV-GS3 or NV-DS30. So far I have looked at all the sub 1000 EUR camera's, and these are the ones that I'm mostly interested in.

But it is VERY hard to get a decent opinion on any of these cams. So far my search in local video news magazines has led to no or close to no info. The Internet does not seem to help either: most user reviews (on sites like amazon) are like ' great camera, I love it', and that's it. But that's the kind of comment you see on almost every camcorder.

The UK magazines that host this forum have great detailed reviews, but none on the Panasonics :(

Does anyone know of any other sites that have a decent review on these models?

Is anyone actualy using one of these cams (and would that person be interested in answering a few of my questions ;) ) ?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have just bought a Panasonic DS30 Camcorder. Like you I had no look in finding a review of these two cameras. I was looking at the same 2 cameras as you and went for the DS30 as it had a video light and was around £100 cheaper. I have to say I have come from an old JVC VHS-C camcorder and the pictures look great to me as good if not better than the pictures from my local BBC. The only 2 gripes are (and it was one of my concerns) the microphone does tend to pick up a lot of background noise, I have put this down to the fact it is on top of the camera. This is not a problem just an observation you do still get the sound you are after but along with the rest of the room noise. The second gripe is more annoying. I have found that the white balance can change during a shot with dramatic effect, it seems as though the camera is trying a little too hard in this area and can result in very patchy colours. You can of course set this manually or choose one of the pre-sets to overcome this problem but my old camera did not suffer from this problem. I wish if the white balance was wrong it would change progressively so as you did not notice the effect but Eh-Oh it was only £399 and the problems can be solved and the picture is brilliant.
    Whether the GS3 would be any better I don’t know but I found the terminal covers a little on the flimsy side on that camera. As the DS30 was £399, if it got scratched or damaged by the kids, friends or family I would be less concerned. I think for the more common occasional use, Kids parties, Christmas etc it was the perfect buy. I would have liked the GS5/7 but at that price I would be afraid to let anyone else use it!

If you want any questions answering No problem just drop me a line.
    :)

3. rumney

rumney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A review of the NVDS29 was in the June 2002 issue of What Camcorder. It should be in the online versio n shortly. I have posted the below previously "I have recently purchased the Panasonic NVDS30 - all I can say is absolutely brilliant. Picture and sound quality are second to none - even in a lot higher price bracket camera. It cost me £399 with free 48 hour delivery. I have captured images, edited them with Adobe Previer V6.02 brought the images back to tape and the quality is astounding.
    Some reviews that I have read have been critical of the lack of feature - excellent pictures, excellent sound, zoom microphone, fully automatic or choice of manual shutter speed and aperture, white balance, optical and digital zoom, backlight, video light, zero lux infrared, six effects - what more do people want.
    Serious editing is best performed in software anyway - dozens of features that most people never use are just a 'come on' for newbies - its got all that you will need.
    I am one very, very, very happy user and I highly recommend it.
    Hope this helps.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've just bought the GS3 and am happy with it.
    No USB which would have been handy.
    Lots of options etc on the menu system, too many even.
    It can take photo stills in the version of 7 second recordings on the tape, so easily edited later.
    The few functions it misses on against the more expensive models (ie, memory card), are minor in my opinion.
    This is my first camcorder, so I couldn't say how it is against any others.

I bought a firewire card which came with a lead from www.dabs.com in their value section. £13 incl. p&p.
    A Seagate Barracuda IV 80Gb harddrive for the pc for editing, from www.komplett.co.uk for £83 incl p&p.
    I'm now looking to get Pinnacle Express editing suite to round it all off and I'd say you'd have to spend a lot more on better cameras etc to see big gains in overall quality.

I am a home user only though, so it depends on your needs.

I bought my one from www.empiredirect.co.uk for £498. RRP was £650 on the high street at the time, but I think this particular model may be discontinued in the near future, maybe.

However, do a search on the forums as there is another supplier who's name I can't remember, that a lot of people rave about for price, service and general customer satisfaction.

5. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I've also just bought the GS3 and am very pleased with it - it's a newish model so don't think it's due to be replaced yet.

I bought mine from www.letsgodigital.co.uk for £469 inc free next day delivery, and paid an additional £25 for 6 Panasonic 60min DV cassettes. Pretty happy with that, especially as Jessops want £699 for the same camera!

As for reviews, this months What Camcorder has a review of the GS1, which is identical to the GS3, save for the fact that the GS add DV-in to the spec.

6. Budgie

Budgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Panasonic NV-GX7B from www.LetsGoDigital.co.uk - £699 (or £999 from Jessops!!!).. great service, and they offer a no risks 30 day money back option... I had a Canaon 550i from them... decided I didn't like it (much to much motor noise picked up by the microphone) rang 'em to explain why I didn't like it... but the guy said he didn't care why I didn't like it ... if its not suitable, just send it back... I did (Ihad to pay postage), and got the full refund within 3 days.... superb service... and thats why I bought the GX7 from them... and I'm keeping this one!

I was considering the GS3 or 5 based on the Jessops prices, but found that the GX7 is better spec'd, and cheaper... cant lose!

I like:
    Good sound and pictures
    Simple to drive
    Feels comfortable in the hand
    Good range of connections (a'log in, DV In and Out, USB out)
    Good quality stills (not as good as a dedicated Dig Stills Cam, but good enough to not need to carry both around on a day out)

I've only had it a week or so (they were in short supply, but they are coming through now) but I love it... havn't found anything I dont like yet... so if you want my opinion... get a GX7 from LetsGoDigital, and give it a try...

e-mail me if you wany to know any more.

7. twuyts

twuyts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, 'What Camcorder' is not sold over here :(
    Has anyone read the June review of the DS-29 and the one on the GS-1 in the latest issue?

A few questions to those actually using these cameras:

1: how's the picture quality, specifically how does it behave in dimmer conditions?

2: the GS 1/3/5 being a very small and very light camera, how's the stability? Does the stabilizer do a reasonable job and does it affect image quality?

3: Audio quality. Although I personally find this harder to judge, I don't want to end up with 'a slight mechanical whir to the audio track' like I read in many reviews of the Canon MV500 series.

These are my main questions. Thanks in advance for your insights.
    Your comments have been valuable so far.

Tim

8. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    1: how's the picture quality, specifically how does it behave in dimmer conditions?

Pretty good - the camera requires 2 Lux to operate, which is a little higher than some models, but I've been using it in a dimly lit room this evening with no problems

2: the GS 1/3/5 being a very small and very light camera, how's the stability? Does the stabilizer do a reasonable job and does it affect image quality?

Certainly seems to with me using it (and I'm far from experienced). It is extremely comfortable to hold.

3: Audio quality. Although I personally find this harder to judge, I don't want to end up with 'a slight mechanical whir to the audio track' like I read in many reviews of the Canon MV500 series.

Allowing for the fact that audio is never going to be great using the internal mic, it's certainly more than acceptable - the mic can pick up a little noise when using the optical zoom, but is this avoidable - I can't see how myself. It is only apparent in moments of quiet and when zooming.

Hope that helps a little more....