Reliable reviews for downloadable games?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Batdog, May 1, 2007.

1. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    As the title suggests, I'm considering downloading some of the cheapy games from the UK & US stores, but was wondering where I might find reliable reviews for them online?

Cheers

2. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Thing is reviews are a very subjective thing and unless you have a lot of reviews on a particular game it's hard to get an overall view. Not many sites review the download games from what I gather but the major sites like ign.com, gamespot.com and eurogamer.net do. Best thing is to check all the sites as well as look for people's opinions on forums. Also some of the download games do have free demos you can try out.

3. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I was thinking of downloading Blast Factor, but I wasn't sure if the full game is worth it. I read that the full game only has 7 levels...

I have already bought Super Rub a Dub, Lemmings, Tekken 5, and Flow and these are my opinions:

Super Rub a Dub is just OK at best - They really could have done alot with this game, but they didn't... After you've played a couple of levels, it's just more of the same... The level design is pretty poor and basic too. The tilt control is not very accurate on this game either. The water does look cool, but that's about it. The 2 player feature isn't even simultaneous 2 player so that is pretty poor too... Get the feeling this game was made in a lunch break. 3/10

Lemmings full version is far too short for my liking - the 'full game' feels more like a demo to me - I was expecting far more levels... It's still fun, but not as good as the normal classic lemmings games IMO. 4/10

Tekken 5 is probably worth getting for the fun factor, especially if you have 2 controllers. Although for some reason I was expecting this PS3 version to look much more next gen - It looks and feels really dated to me. The Soul Calibur series on the DC was much better... 6/10

Flow - I really think this 'full' version should have been a 100% free download for everyone. It's incredibly short and although I think it's OK when you're really bored, it's not worth paying for in my opinion. 3/10

(For reference, I would give Motorstorm 8/10 and F1 8.5/10)

I think I'm going to wait a while before downloading more games, because I think at the moment Sony are scraping the barrel... I think alot of people are currently buying these games not because their good, but because their cheap, and they just want as many games on their machine as possible. Although people say the downloads are cheap, they do add up, and after you've bought a few games, you've probably spent the same as getting a decent hard copy game.

I like the idea of downloadable cheap games though... Hopefully they will start releasing some of the real classics. I want to see some classic Amiga games make a comeback...

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    Hehe, see how subjective reviews are.

I think that Flow is pretty dam good, and although it is 3.50 I would give it an 8 :). 9.5 if it is was free!

5. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    9.5??? :eek: Wow.... I guess reviews 'are' subjective... :D

You seem to be easily pleased... :)

Remember - there will be killer games on the PS3 in the future that will put all these games to shame, and you won't have any space left on your scale to deal with them... ;)

6. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    My reviews :D (And the kids 7 & 10)

RubADub
    Mine: 6 - Completed all levels at Bronze easy enough now going for Silver when I'm in the mood.
    Kids:8 - They really like it

Lemmings
    Mine: 7 - Good value for money if you've not done the Lemmings thing before.
    Kids: They find it too hard or can't be bothered to problem solve.

BlastFactor
    Mine: 7 - Only 7 levels but not a walk in the park. I'm not past level 4 yet
    Kids: 4 to 8 - Daughter not interested, 7yo lad loves it (but finding hard now)

Flow
    Mine:6 - Chill material.
    Kids: - Not played

Tekken
    Mine:7 - Good value for money but I've got tired of Tekken
    Kids: - Wife won't let kids play it (And rightly so ;) )

What to you expect for £3-5

Of the 4 I've bought I would still buy Blast Factor & RubADub. Not that bothered about Tekken & Flow.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    No :p I just like alternative games. Flow is very inventive and I think for the price and experience it is well done.

8. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Excellent stuff, can't wait for your Gauntlet 2 reviews!! (takes me back to my Spectrum days)

9. winstano

winstano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I've only bought Flow, Tekken 5 and Lemmings...

Flow: Glorified Tech demo... Impressive to look at but not really what I'd call a good 'game'... Worth the 3.50 for the graphics... Probably :p 5/10

Tekken: Well, it's Tekken. The backgrounds look impressive, the characters look good, if not 'next-gen', the gameplay's the same and it's ideal for parties... 7/10

Lemmings: Again, it's just proper old-skool Lemmings. Not had a chance to see this in HD yet (TV's at home while I'm at uni), but I've been assured it's good. Good for a bit of fun, 7/10

10. dannius

dannius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +356
    The downloadable games I've played so far have been a bit disappointing. I haven't got Blast Factor or Super rub a dub and i've only got the demo of Lemmings so can't really comment on them, none of them tickle my fancy really.

But Tekken is the same old Tekken Namco have been regurgitating for years. I think I only bought it as it said it was at that price for a limited time. It's still no patch on Soul Calibur on the DC, still the best 3D fighter ever.

FlOw is lovely to look at, but a bit boring. Maybe I just don't get it but I can't see how it can be called a game as such. There's no gameplay in there really at all! Still, at least it works with the sixaxis.

I'm hoping that Calling All Cars! will be the first really good PSN title, so far there appears to be nothing to rival Geometry Wars or Marble Blast Ultra.

11. sandys

sandys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Soul caliber on Dreamcast is good but I have been playing it right up till I traded my Dreamcast for PS3 games and have to say that whilst I prefer Soul caliber it doesn't detract for the fact that tekken 5 is a cracking game they are different games one with weapons one without so it plays out differently, both are easily accessible and hard too master.

Downloaded a few and have given them some playtime.

While I might not agree with some of there reviews I'd say Eurogamers reviews of the PSN stuff so far aren't bad.

Have a search for blast factor (6) , Tekken DR (8) , Gripshift (8) and Lemmings (6) on there for detailed reviews. Though the gave flow 7 and I can't see why, I don't think I get whats fun about fLow.

http://www.eurogamer.net

12. mckahuna

mckahuna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MKII from the US online store is pretty good although the menu and graphics look rubbish. if you are a MK fan, can't beat the possibility to play online against others!

13. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +956
    I have Lemmings and super Rub a Dub both of which i like and they are also games i can play with my niece who is 6, she loves Rub a Dub.

as for reviews why not just download the starter packs which are free you get a taste of the game if you like it buy the file to unlock the rest.