1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliable MP3 Transcoding Programs - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Oct 27, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, transcoding lossy formats is meant to be the big taboo in the digital audio world. But hell, loads of us do it ... so shouldn't we be using the most reliable software to do so?

I've tried a bunch of freeware (plus some awful Russian rubbish that I stupidly paid for), but nothing's been that great. I don't mean that the SQ of the transcoded stuff was terrible or anything; more, that the software itself never seemed too reliable. I've had frames missing from the start and end of tracks, whole tracks scrambled ... and all sorts of other weird stuff happen.

Anyone know of/use what they consider to be a pretty much 99% reliable bit of programming to do their transcoding?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought you used Exact audio copy with lame mp3 encoder? Is that even what you are talking about?

Oh yeah, whether you rip mp3s using lame/eac, or sonicstage, it has the same sized gap on the HD5, so all they need to do is remove that much time between the tracks and its gapless.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EAC/LAME combo isn't used for transcoding, Sasso. Transcoding is where you basically make a file in whatever format smaller by removing more of the digital info. It's bad practice generally, but quicker than re-ripping everything ...

4. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hate to point out an obvious, but have you had a look at itunes, its free very versatile, reliable and for transcoding purposes, is not tied to the ipod should you not go for that option. It allows to transcode/re-rip you music into various formats including mp3 at various rates including vbr and cbr,,give it a go, you may be surprised.!!

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see.....why would you want to make it smaller? I mean, would it be significantly smaller, and wont it destroy the quality?

6. baddison

baddison
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Foobar2000 and no problems so far.

7. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    I use audio grabber with LAME codec, I've found it reliable.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why didn't I think of that? D'oh!

Cheers! And thanks for all the other suggestions so far.