• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Reliable method to extend range of superhub2

paulr

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find a reliable solution. My superhub2 is in wireless mode and hard connected to my laptop. I use the wireless for my ipad and phone. However, it won't reach the garage. I tried a tplink range extender off amazon, but couldn't get it to work reliably. In fact it was a bit crap.
Any other thoughts. I want to be able to reach the garage with my ipad. My other thought is switch the superhub2 into modem mode, and get a wireless router and put it in a more central position.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
There's no silver bullet for this, don't waste any time looking for some magic uber-router or something with more range than everything else's. Indeed, it could be that you router is fine and it's the range of your client devices that is inadequate (battery operated devices such as phones tend to have rather small antennas and be rather miserly with their transmit power to eek out battery life.)

The only solution for getting improves wi-fi coverage is to get the communicating stations closer together. If you cannot move your router, then you need to create additional coverage hotspots by installing additional wi-fi access points and cable them all together. You're essentially creating a "cellular" coverage pattern. In big campuses for example, we put up hundreds of AP's.

It may be that you're suffering from interference from the neighbours and a more judicious radio channel choice might help a bit, but that's something of a forlorn hope. An additional AP to fill in the coverage hole is most likely to be the best solution.

There's some FAQ's in the Networking and NAS forum at AVF that discuses these themes in greater detail.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Thank you. How do you rate the range extenders?

It's a bit of an abused term and means different things in different products.

Some so called "range extenders" are wi-fi Access Points and they should be fine.

Some are "repeaters." They work by listening for wi-fi transmissions, copying them, waiting for the airwaves to go quiet then broadcasting a copy of the original transmission. The original transmission and repeats cannot occur at the same time, so the throughput is at least halved. Also, positioning is important as repeaters need to be "in range" of your router and coverage hole. I would avoid using repeaters unless there was no other choice.

The thing to look for is the mechanism such things use to establish the "backhaul" link between the outpost hotspot and you router. "Proper" cabled network using ethernet is the best, tunneling over the mains using HomePlugs is (probably) next best though much depends on the quality of you mains supply. Using wi-fi for both client transmission and backhaul, whilst possible, is least good as it's one more thing competing for wi-fi air time. The more one can unburden the wi-fi air waves, then better throughput your client devices see.

BTW - If you have an old router lying around and a way to establish a cabled backhaul, you can press that old router into service as your outpost AP. There's an FAQ on how to do so in the Networking and NAS forum. However, I think you mentioned a garage, so I'd guess there may not be an easy way to establish a cabled backhaul.

Last edited:

Magnum26

Standard Member
Actually even though it is expensive the Asus AC-68U has supposedly the best wireless range of any router on the market. You would have to disable your HH wifi and put it in modem mode. But worth a look.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom