Reliable (budget) blu-ray player?

martinlest

Novice Member
I don't actually have any blu-ray discs and think I am unlikely to buy many, if any at all, but the upscaling ability of a blu-ray player seems to indicate I am better off playing DVDs on one rather than a straight DVD player. So I bought an LG DP542H recently - but it frequently locks up after resuming play from pause or stop.. nothing then functions and the only 'solution' is to unplug the thing, wait, and try again. A number of reviewers on Amazon complain of the same thing. It's going back for a refund.

But now I look for a replacement, it seems that every one I look at has reviews airing a similar complaint. Is this a known issue with blu-ray players? The choice now is not wide, especially as I am looking in the lower price range: just Sony, LG or Panasonic really. Is there a model which is not going to suffer from this defect? I tried a Panasonic DVD player instead, but the picture was awful (lots of highlight trailing/motion blur), so that has to be returned as well.

Looked at the Sony BDP-S3700 and ordered one, but now see several reviews give one start for this same reason: order cancelled.

Any recommendations for playing my extensive DVD collection reliably (and without motion blur!)? Thanks!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The Sony 6700 seems to be a good lump. Going up in price the Panasonic UB450 is worth a look.

martinlest

Novice Member
Thanks for the suggestion. Found some Amazon reviews of the 6700 though which complain of the same issue: "It’s fine as a Blu-ray player, but freezes quite often and won’t turn on and off with out pulling the power out the back". Same as my (former - sent back now for a refund) Panasonic. Which is why I wondered if this was a known issue with all Blu-Ray players. The UB450 is out of my price range, given I don't that often watch TV/DVDs.

Gone back to using my (very old) Sony RDR-HXD770 DVD recorder. It has some video/audio synch issues from time to time, but doesn't lock up after pausing playback, at least!

Simon186

Standard Member
My Panasonic DMP-BD30 player occasionally won't turn off without pulling the power cable out the back. (To be clear, it freezes in the sense that it responds to nothing else - it doesn't freeze during playback.) It happens only about once every couple months and it's not a significant problem now I know what to do.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Never had my 6700 play up. As for a reliable machine, whatever you pay it’s the luck of the draw.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom