1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliability of Power Amps and Processors

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by rags, Aug 4, 2003.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    How reliable are power amps and processors ? I mean how often do they tend to go faulty, blow fuses etc ? I only have experience with integrated units that have been very reliable.

I know I have been jumping around from one amp / processor to another but the reason I ask is that I have been offered a Parasound Halo C2 controller and A52 amp at an amazing price. The warranty however is valid in the US only and I am concerned about having to ship it back and forth (very expensive!!!!). If I go to the Parasound distributor here, I will have to pay for the repair.

There are no voltage issues. Obviously I will have a listen before I order but is this a risk worth taking ?

Thanks

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i have the new halo combination, i have had no problems with mine if thats nay help. it does come with a 10 year warranty, not sure wether its transferable as i have no plans to upgrade, yet! it will cost about the same to ship into this country and have aacounted for customs and stuff. its a risk i personally wouldn't take but if you can get it at an amazing prize and are willing to risk the hefty import costs then go for it!

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    dts boy - dont you have M&K speakers as well ? How does it sound with them ?

The deal is amazing - even after shipping and duty it's going to end up costing me £3k. But I am concerned about the warranty issue. I am really stretching to get this combo. Have you returned your unit to get a software upgrade etc ? - who do you go to ?

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i dont know about processors, but power amps should be a solid buy, there isnt that much can go wrong and there is every chance if it did, its something your local hifi dealer could sort out at minimal cost.

I wouldnt be too worried on warranty. Insured shipping to the states is in the region of £40 from origin so should be similar back. If you were to have to send back to the UK distributor, its probably still going to cost you £20 so for the amount you are saving, i reckon its worth the potential hassle. But as stated, expect customs to catch you for about 20% of whatever you have paid when the machine enters the country.

Ad

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have previously imported an item and paid duty for it, then as long as you can prove it has been shipped for repair then there is no customs duty to be paid. All you need is your original customs receipt and some paperwork from the US end to say what has been done to the item.:smashin:

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Ok thanks guys - hopefully not much will go wrong.

In terms of the processor will there be any differences between the US and UK versions - I am not worried so much by software but more about connections etc. Did a search but cant find any way to check up on the relative specs (looks like most uk sites have just copied the Parasound US site). Other than Parasound do processors of other manufacturers differ in terms of connections between the two regions ?

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am unaware of there being differences beyond voltages.....

Ad

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Buns - there is no voltage difference. The processor is multivoltage and does not require modification (apart from changing the plug) and the amp needs a cople of fuses changed.

If there are no other differences then it should be all stations go - apart from the demo first bit of course. :D

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well you know what i mean...... as far as i know thats all the difference there is, i dont know of any examples where this is different.

There will be general differences between machines from a UK brand and that from a US brand (balanced connections for example) but within a brand and further within a specific model, it doesnt make much sense to vary.

Ad

10. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Thanks for the advice Buns. Yes I do know what you mean.

Time is running out and I am not sure where I can demo the items in time - so I am thinking of ordering them anyway as if I dont like the I can probably get my money back given that I will get them for 3k and they retail for 5.5k here. Maybe not a good idea but the deal just sounds too good. If I do like them then as you said I can ship em back under warranty or get them repaired here at my cost depending on the relative cost comparisons.

11. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Rags you have pm by the way!

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Yeah got it mate - will call you tomorrow to sort out a time. If you dont mind a need to pick up the stands tomorrow as the wife is coming home on Wednesday after a two weeks holiday at her parents place and the house is a mess - I am currently using two coffee tables as stands for my new speakers and I need those stands before she gets back otherwise I am going to be in deep doo dah!!!!! Ultimately once all my equipment is in I will wall mount the speakers.

13. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Well im at work 2-10 so just turn up any time! If your going to phone make it before 1 please. Tommorrow is as good as anytime. I wont take the stands apart and you will get some free sand aswell! You can have the original packaging aswelll.

Cheers

Chris

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rags,

Im was in exactly the smae boat as you...... and ive gone the way you have and am doing so witout any worries at all. Not wanting to doom myself, but I find Americans (i assume) are very good for service.

And as you say, you can sell on if you dont like them and take only a minimal hit.

Enjoy!

Ad

15. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    rags, sorry for not getting back to you earlier, i never got an email from av forums when i replied to this thread (its never happened before?) not had to do any software upgrades or anything like that, i've not looked into it as i haven't had any problems and am more than happy!!! as for the sound with my m&ks - it proper bo! you will (as i was) be amazed at how good it is with music as well, my cd purchases increased dramatically when i got the halo, i'm even looking at adding a Gyrodec. as far as upgrades, you can set it up/save all yuor settings to your pc via an rs232 lead and your nearest dealer will do any upgrades for you - like i say i've not really looked into these yet as i don't have nay problems. £3k is a mighty fine price and if your not happy i'm sure you could get that back on ebay/here (not that you won't be:smoke: )

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    dts_boy

Cheers mate. I just sent you a PM but you have answered my questions anyway. One last one - do you know what DAC the C2 uses ?

17. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    just PM'd you;)

18. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd be amazed if you have any problems with these...they're built to very good standards and really should perform well...Parasound amps have always been a bit under-rated in the UK,and hopefully the Halo range will see that turned around....on a related note,the processor and power amps I have have (fingers crossed of course) been totally reliable also.