1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliability of official controllers?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by rigman, Jul 16, 2005.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi

has anyone had reliability problems with their controllers I have had 4 go wrong coming up with 'not connected' every few seconds or thumstick not working. Was wondering if it is my xbox which was a release day purchase. Dont want to buy another controller to find it is the xbox and vice versa.

cheers
    darren

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    I've owned 3 'Duke' controllers and have only had 1 of them develop a fault, but that was probably my fault anyway(the right trigger has gone from playing too much PGR2) so it does seem to point that there is something a mis with the connection rather than the pads

3. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have you tried them in the other ports ?? Have you check the break cable connector that is near the end of the cable is that plugged in ok.
    Have you tried them on another xbox.
    It does seem very weird that 4 pads have gone wrong - sounds more like a problem with the ports on the xbox?

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes I have tried them in the other ports and get the same thing. I will have to try and find someone else with an xbox and try them in theirs. I have swapped over the break cable connection leads and no change.
    I have also got a 3rd party controller which seems okay but on the game I am playing at the moment the right trigger doesnt do what it is supposed to and hence I went back to the official ones to try and play the game.

From the lack of replies to the contrary it seems like the controllers are generally relaible and I am either extremely unlucky or something else is amiss.

thanks guys

5. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    We've had two XBoxes since launch and we're still using the original controllers, although the one that gets used the most has just started showing a slight 'off-centre' problem on the left thumbstick.
    After seeing how badly many younger users treat their controllers (whacking the sticks and buttons realy violently and throwing the controller down when they've finished playing :mad: ) I'm not surprised they break...

6. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    My ones have taken a battering, yet they keep on going with zero problems.

7. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i am still using the 2 original xbox controllers that i got on launch day and the are still superb!

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,840
    X-Box controllers are forged in solid granite! At least they act as though they are ;) . I've dropped mine loads of times and they've had some real hammer in games, yet they still work flawlessly! I have the Crystal S conrollers.

In contrast, I have a draw full (about 10) PS2 controllers with the same fault on each. The shoulder buttons go very easily (PES requires heavy use of them). Once you get the tell take sign of a bit of loose plasic inside the controller, it's only a matter of time before the shoulder buttons start sticking! :rolleyes:

Generally the X-Box has the highest build quality of any console that i've played. Infact the only console that's probably built better is the Neo Geo.