1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliability of Monitor Audio Radius R180

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andybed, Feb 4, 2005.

1. andybed

andybed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Over the last 3 months I have twice been into my local Sevenoaks dealer enquiring about the Radius R180 for use as a rear surround speakers. Both times they told me to buy the R90's instead as they have had to stop selling the R180's due to them having had so many faulty returns from customers. I already have a pair of R270's and a R225 and I wanted the R180 for the rears as I prefer its slightly shallower look and I thought its slightly lower frequency bass response would suite my setup as I dont intend to supplement the bass with a Sub for quite a while yet.

Has anyone else heard of these reliability issues with regards to the R180 and although the specs for the R180 say it will go 15hz lower than the R90 in reality will I notice any difference?.

Regards

Andy

2. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm curious - did your local Sevenoaks say what the problem(s) was/were? We've got a pair of 180's and had no problems.

3. andybed

andybed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I spoke to two different salesman on these occasions. On my first visit I didn't ask what the problem was. The second time I did and he said that he hadn't actually been there when one had been returned but he thought it was a design problem only with the R180 as the rest of the Radius range was fine. If they were trying to push a higher value speaker I would be sceptical but as the R90 is cheaper I thought their must be some truth in what he was saying.
    They had one R180 on display that he said they were selling as a centre and that once that was gone they wouldn't be getting anymore.

Andy

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've had my 5 180's for about 8 months now and have ahad no problems with them at all, curious to know what the issue with them is!?

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Don't know which Sevenoaks you went into, but we at Oxford have had no problems with them that I'm aware of.

6. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    No problem with my 180's as rears here either.

7. andybed

andybed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The dealer was Sevenoaks Solihull Branch. Glad to here you've all had no problems with yours. Haven't purchased rears yet as lounge is still no where near being finished, but I still think I'm going to go for the 180's. Unless someone advises me differently.