1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliability of Cyberhome 528

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jasper catt, Nov 5, 2001.

1. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody comment on the reliability of the 528 ?. I have read about overheating causing the player to lock up,very noisy drive mechanicals and compatibility with various discs.I'm looking to swap to one of these machines after experiencing some VCD playback problems with a Limit 8080 ( the motion freezes briefly just like a layer change on a DVD).Has anybody used the 528 to play VCD's ?. I have read good reviews on this machine but does it perform well over a longer period ?.The machine would be used as second machine coupled to a portable TV so I really don't want to spend a lot of money. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

2. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had mine for over a month now and have not had it lockup when overheating (it has not overheated). My player is not that noisy (only during initial loading of the disc). I've got a collection of about 110 discs and only 3 will not play on it. On playback of R1 discs via PAL conversion you do get some motion jerkiness on older discs. Seems to play my VCDs' okay. Have you looked here yet,

http://forum.cyberhome-help.de/index.php
    :rolleyes:

3. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Thor

I have viewed the website you mention,this is where I found about overheating etc. Have you had any upgrades performed on your machine ?
    Magazine reviews can be a good indication of how good the player is when it's working,but how reliable is it over a longer period ?. I recently read an article in an american magazine extolling the virtues of an Oritron dvd payer,when I logged onto audioreview.com the vast majority of owners said that this player was so unreliable as to be unusable !

4. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Thor

I have viewed the website you mention,this is where I found about overheating etc. Have you had any upgrades performed on your machine ?
    Magazine reviews can be a good indication of how good the player is when it's working,but how reliable is it over a longer period ?. I recently read an article in an american magazine extolling the virtues of an Oritron dvd payer,when I logged onto audioreview.com the vast majority of owners said that this player was so unreliable as to be unusable !

5. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, I've had no upgrades done to it.