Reliability issues / service costs

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by pembssurfer, Jul 5, 2015.

1. pembssurfer

pembssurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Hi all. Iv had increasing issues with my out of warranty Xbox one of late. From numerous controller disconnects very frequently to it not recognising some film blu-Rays like Avatar until I insert the disc a million times. Also getting more random crashes. Turned on today and now my kinect is totally dead. MS want £50 just to service the kinect. Just wondering is it worth doing the kinect first and see how it goes or send the whole lot off? £83 to service the Xbox 1. But with the console you get the same one back. I'm worried they won't find the issue and it will just get sent back anyway. Kinect sensor is actually replaced.... Thoughts? My warranty ran out in feb

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,091
    Personally I take it up with the retailer, they have responsibilities too and don't let them fob you off with the 'after a year it's Microsofts problem' bull.

3. mklion123

mklion123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,118
    Try unplugging Xbox for a couple of minutes, I thought my kinect had died previously, but a reboot corrected it.

4. pembssurfer

pembssurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Tried this and full hard reset. It's completely borked. Pretty miffed at having all these problems. Just realised when I bought it from Argos I bought it on MasterCard. Might go down that route.

5. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,812
    I missed getting my extended service last year as I was preoccupied with getting the clutch done on my car.
    Wish I had been a bit more on the ball as its good to have that safety net.

6. pembssurfer

pembssurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I meant to do it but I remember trying to find out what the crack was with it and it seemed so out of the way and at the back of their inter web that I gave up and forgot about it. £50 to service a kinect sensor is ridiculous however the £80 to service the console seems about right..

7. Synax_Injector

Synax_Injector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Wouldn't pay.£50 for the kinect to be repaired...I bought one in what i can only describe as nearly.new condition with postage for £30 on here last week.

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,091
    Like I said earlier why not try and get the retailer to sort it?

9. Synax_Injector

Synax_Injector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    If it's out of the 12 month retailer period, then manufacturer defects etc fall to the manufacturer?
    Retailer is only abliged to fulfill statutory 12 months, after that, it goes to manufacture for build quality/not fit for purpose etc?

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,091
    That is what they want you to think and most people just accept it but under the Sales of Goods Act you are covered for much more than 12 months, it's states amongst other things that products must last a responsible amount of time and I would call 16 months for a £300+ games console not a responsible amount of time.

Certainly worth a try IMO, you would feel pretty gutted if after forking over £100+ to MS for repairs the retailer you bought it from would just exchange it for a brand new one.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  11. Synax_Injector

Synax_Injector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Oh ye I completely agree and have had many an argument before, in shops, it does have to last a reasonable amount of time, for example like you say a £300 console, asking 18 months is fair enough.
    Maybe not a £5 toaster lol, I normally argue that its not fit for purpose if it breaks so soon, i think I remember from my 360 days, isn't it upto the manufacturer to prove that it wasn't daily upon purchase and that it wasn't sold with a small developing fault?

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,091
    I think the first 6 months its up to the retailer to prove it was faulty when sold, after that it is you but seeing as MS sell an extended warranty they sure think it might break down in the future so that should help.

13. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Nearly :)

Up to six months the retailer has to assume the problem was inherent and present at the time of purchase, after this time the retailer can (and will in many cases) ask for an independent engineers report.

14. pembssurfer

pembssurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Also writing to MS campus in Reading. Support on the phone and online chat was awful didn't even get anywhere to even pay for it to be fixed. Online price is about £60 on the phone they wanted £83... You can buy it new for £92. What a farce. Just read somewhere the supposed failure rate for kinect sensor is somewhere around 10%. No wonder their willing to kill kinect off so quickly as it will save them a potential RROD type scenario. I'm so fuming with all the issues I'm seriously considering jumping ship to PS now instead of paying for a new kinect sensor and a new console. :( need to find somewhere quiet and padded!