release dates on region 4

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Steve J Davies, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Steve J Davies

Steve J Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like many I import from the USA but now have had my head turned by talk of region 4 disks being better - no french and spanish soundtracks, room for DTS, less cuts in films... To add to this the chat indicates the disks are cheaper as well !! So whats the catch I ask myself, A-surfing I go and low and behold the catch is there. Release dates seem behind both the US and the UK by some way. for some of the TV related disks many months behind.
    Are Oz disks worth the wait ?
    Should I leave my USA based Flexicart intact ?
    Have I got it wrong ?

TIA

Steve

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They are cheaper thats without doubt! The cuts made is something i have noticed. I have commando as an example, the part where matrix breaks the black guys neck on the plain is cut so it just shows him dead, but not how. Annoying. the release dates are generally behind, but not always. Hannibal was out in OZ a couple of weeks early and i beleive Evolution will also be out early. The extras are sometimes there, on the big new releases, as you rightly suggest often have dts where other region releases do not, take the mummy returns.

hope this helps.

Ad

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  4. Steve J Davies

Steve J Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers. Its a hard choice I reckon. Its hard to know which is the International cut and which is the Domestic (USA) cut and that can make a difference to a film. I want to see them as made by the director and not chopped about (and as for films shown on TV - talk about butchery..).
    Its gotta be a call made on a film by film basis I reckon. Such is life.

Steve

Stay away from them kid ! They ain't nothing but trouble.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That would pretty much limit you to "Director's Cut" editions only. But most movies are not cut by the directors but by commercially oriented dorks. (sp?)

6. Steve J Davies

Steve J Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Directors Cut' versions produced when the released article was not the directors vision - altered by test screenings and feeback thereof, and by 'the suits'. Blade Runner being a classic example.
    Sometimes the review process causes a film to be tightened up considerably and for the better (Aliens a classical example of this). Director is involved. Edits that go on outside of director's involvement (the dreaded C word - censorship) or reducing film content for a particular market due to parochial Film Board classifications or target demographics is unforgivable. Thats a 'third hand' film and thats too many cooks for me (The Abyss being a classical example of this).
    Have seen too many films that are so obviously chopped about that I am hacked off by it.

Of course I am ignoring the greedy studio/distributor/director generated versions (aka 'special editions').

I think that USA releases tend to have cuts that the International releases don't and that that can lessen the film (and the advantages of importing Region 1).
    Opinions ?

Steve

"This is murder"
    "You're telling me"
    " ? ? ? ? ? ?"
    steve