Release date for Pace HD yet ?

As Sky have just bought out Amstrad I cant see there ever being a Pace box :(

I think you are wrong to blame the box for the problems. I believe they are all firmware related, and that's Sky's problem.

Really .... so a noisy disc that you can hear from 7ft+ away and an equally noisy fan (on my first Thomson box) are firmware related are they?

I don't think so. It's down to poor build quality.

if someoen got on the phone to me with a box that could be heard on the other side of the room and over the TV sound necessitating turning the Tv up i'd replace it. Sky doesn't have any guidelines as to what is 'too noisy', so I made my own up. :D

I think you are wrong to blame the box for the problems. I believe they are all firmware related, and that's Sky's problem. The reference design which any manufacturer has to use for the boxes is fixed by Sky. This generation will for example all use the Broadcom BCM7411 and BCM7038, just as the Thomson one does:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/7411-PB07-R.pdf

The 7038 is the chip that provides the pvr facilities usb, sata etc.:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/7038-PB01-R.pdf

I'm sure the different makes of Sky+ boxes are built to the same reference design, but you can't tell me they're all the same in operation...?

Sky doesn't have any guidelines as to what is 'too noisy', so I made my own up. :D
Yes they do. This taken from a Pace email back in 2002 when Sky+ first launched:

The Sky specification for the noise generated by the HDD is 37dB. I apologise for the problems you have encountered but I am sure you will not be unlucky enough to receive a third box showing the same problem.
Regards
Craig Charlwood
Customer Front Office Manager
Network Development Division (NDD)
Pace Micro Technology plc

Yes they do. This taken from a Pace email back in 2002 when Sky+ first launched:

37dB measured from? An inch away? A foot away? Next door?

Well I have to say that is both the first time I've even heard of such a thing and the first time I've seen a figure put to it. how exactly should we measure it? 'Please purchase a microphone and measuring device and tell us how loud the box actually is?'

I usually go by my own idea and i've never got into trouble for it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom