1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship subwoofer power and hifi speakers?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sound, Jul 30, 2005.

1. sound

sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a subwoofer for improvement of HiFi listening. I am the owner of a pair of Canton RCL speakers and although bass output is acceptable I'd like to improve. Is there a thumb rule for choosing power output of the sub related to the (nominal) power output of the stereo speakers? My guts tell me the power output of the sub should match that of the speakers.
    But is this correct?
    The nominal power output of the Cantons is 200W.
    I'm aiming at a REL sub.
    Which sub (power output) will provide best performance with my speakers in a HiFi setup?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Unfortunately there isn't a simple rule for governing subwoofer power output against conventional amplifier output.

When considering the 2 most common orientations; a sealed unit requires significantly more power than a ported unit for the same audio output although there are several other compromises which ome into play in such a situation.

The best thing to do is devise a budget and work within that to your own priorities and criteria. :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The power of the internal amplifier on a subwoofer is more to do with the design of the sub than the volume it will reach. My first sub over 10 years ago was a 40 watt REL Q Bass which pumped out quite high levels of volume yet poorer designs with biggger amps would have struggled.

If your requirement is mainly music then any of the REL ST range (new or second hand) should prove ideal with sufficient volume for your requirements, flexibility of connection with high and low level connections and most important of all, sufficient nimbleness to keep up with the most demanding of musical tracks.

4. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The RCL I think is part of the Ergo range. Does it have rounded corners and a metal grill? if so you may be interested in the Ergo AS1.2SC or Ergo AS2SC which are the subs designed to match the Ergo range.

If you need any more info, feel free to pm me

regards

JJ

5. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    with subs, and i quote a guy from seven oaks, "wattage on subwoofers means nothing. its all in the design"

and haveing heard what i have heard, i agree completely with him.

I had a celestion s10 which is 200 watt rms and then i upgraded to a REL storm 5, which is also 200 watt. but the difference in sound is completely and utterly astounding. mind you, so is the price :D (but definately worth it)

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    What nobody has mentioned so far is that the subwoofer should effortlessly match the maximum SPLs (peak dBs) of your main speakers within its own powerband. Preferably from an arbitrary (but very useful) 20Hz upwards. An excess of clean output (sans harmonic distortion) is highly desirable in a subwoofer to allow some extra headroom for dynamic peaks at VLFs. You can never have enough headroom. The merest suggestion of a lack (of headroom) is an oxymoron. :devil:

Nimby