REL vs Dali vs Klipsch - Which one?

lordbyte

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I have a home theatre system comprising of a Yamaha RX-3050 as an AVR and recently upgraded from a 5.1 set of QAcoustics 7000i to a set of Dali Rubicon 8s as Front with Dali LCR for Centre and Dali Rubicon 2s as surround speakers. I did not change the subwoofer however (remained with the one from the QAcoustics set), which now has become the weak point in the system, so I have been looking for a further upgrade - My main use would be first cinema/movies and then music.

In the same price bracket (max that I am looking to spend), I have the following choices -

REL s/5
Dali Sub P-10DSS
Klipsch C-310ASWI

I have not been able to find any English reviews for Dali, some Hungarian site gave it a reasonable rating, but from Google translate, seems to be more optimised for music and not cinema deep bass (but then should go pretty well with the rest of the Dali's?)

REL i have read fantastic things about them, but again I get the impression it is more geared towards music? Klipsch seems to be the most 'gadget' friendly with app to optimise bass etc and in general good reviews....

The space these are located is a rectangle about 3.5m-4m (11.5ft) from sitting position to the TV and 6-7m width (20ft) that past the sofa (viewing position) opens up to another rectangular space (like an L basically).

Any recommendations please?

Thanks!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

I have a home theatre system comprising of a Yamaha RX-3050 as an AVR and recently upgraded from a 5.1 set of QAcoustics 7000i to a set of Dali Rubicon 8s as Front with Dali LCR for Centre and Dali Rubicon 2s as surround speakers. I did not change the subwoofer however (remained with the one from the QAcoustics set), which now has become the weak point in the system, so I have been looking for a further upgrade - My main use would be first cinema/movies and then music.

In the same price bracket (max that I am looking to spend), I have the following choices -

REL s/5
Dali Sub P-10DSS
Klipsch C-310ASWI

I have not been able to find any English reviews for Dali, some Hungarian site gave it a reasonable rating, but from Google translate, seems to be more optimised for music and not cinema deep bass (but then should go pretty well with the rest of the Dali's?)

REL i have read fantastic things about them, but again I get the impression it is more geared towards music? Klipsch seems to be the most 'gadget' friendly with app to optimise bass etc and in general good reviews....

The space these are located is a rectangle about 3.5m-4m (11.5ft) from sitting position to the TV and 6-7m width (20ft) that past the sofa (viewing position) opens up to another rectangular space (like an L basically).

Any recommendations please?

Thanks!

Hello!

Are you only limited to those three? I seriously hope not cause those aren´t what you should be looking for that rather large space which opens up, 28sqm + another space. You are asking too much from small sub to fill large space and main use being cinema/movies means you are not going to be happy overall.

If you want specifically REL subwoofer they have introduced the HT/1508 Predator, as the HT implies this serie is for home cinema. With this model the budget has gone more for performance as the S5 looks more like furniture with door handle and gloss finish. Better for music systems clearly. REL subwoofers in general are not that popular for guys who are looking cinema bass. This new model could change things of course. Price is little salty though.
https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/ht-1508-predator/

I noticed you live in Greece. This shouldn´t be problem, example Arendal subwoofers would be easily delivered with low shipping cost. You didn´t mention any limitations about the physical size of sub. Arendal has ported models and sealed models also which are smaller if that`s what you want. We have Arendal subwoofer owners thread here if you want to ask from owners and you should contact Arendal straight if intrested, they are nice people who respond emails fast! Check them out and especially the dimensions.
Ported subwoofers
Sealed subwoofers

If you want to buy locally, check SVS subwoofers. I don´t think you can go wrong with them either. Plenty models to choose from with gorgeous finish and phone app which you mentioned. You could look models PC2000, PC4000, PB4000, SB4000 .
SUBWOOFER | Ultimate Audio
Home Audio Speakers, Subwoofers and Cables | SVS

As you have about 2200€ budget remember you could also think about buying two ~1k€ subwoofers if you have options placement wise. If you think it could be possible, please read cause the benefits are quite clear:
Why Go Dual Subwoofers?

Dual Subwoofer Placement for Your Home

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom