1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL v. SVS

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by revahi, Oct 26, 2004.

1. revahi

revahi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a subwoofer with the punch and slam of a Q400 but the refinement of the ST range, somewhere between a storm and stentor.
    I want it for audio only, for home cinema what I've heard and read M&K seems to top the list. I see quite some good reviews about the SVS range.
    Budget is about £1500
    Can someone point me in the right direction :lease:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I doubt whether you can buy anything else for £1,500 of this quality. I had a couple of REL Storms and my SVS 20-39 PC Plus is a far better performer in every way yet the PB2-Ultra is a couple of steps up from mine.

The full review is here

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I'm not a fan of Rels, and SVS are probably siginificantly better performers, but they are also quite large and ugly (cue Nimby ;) ).
    Have you thought about a Bowers & Wilkins sub? I've had two, an ASW675 and more recently an ASW750 which I have just sold. The latter, in case you don't know, is a very tight and capable of making any music or film track sparkle. At a RRP of £1200 it is within your budget and worth a look.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    In that case what about the Stadium 3 which retails at £1500.

5. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    To be honest I have just purchased two Jamo D7 THX ultra 2 subs and I am more than happy with them.

I would recommend You go and listen to em I think You will be impressed :thumbsup:

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with that statement they are truly outstanding for home cinema but i have owned a few Rel subs and i prefer the M&K's with music, they are very fast subs and in my opinion excellent for music.

John :)

7. revahi

revahi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard of the B&W ASW750 it got the best buy awards in What Hi Fi.
    As for the REL's the've got a stand and are doing a demo this November in Whathifishow in London I'll probably go round there and take a look/listen/feel.
    I have no idea about the SVS's as my whole knowledge is only about what I've read here on these forums and their web site.
    I'd need to listen first but as there's no dealer I don't see how that's possible.
    I have a studio engineer friend who's done some recordings with Peter Locket the master percussionist and I have a CD of his that will surely put even the best subs through their paces I just need somewhere to audition it.

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Revahi, if you are willing to make a trip up the M1 to Luton, you are more than welcome to come and have a listen to my SVS PC Ultra, I think you may need to bring a nappy too though, don't want you wetting yourself ;) :) :D

9. revahi

revahi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem, I keep a stock of nappies in my office, as the studio is next door :laugh:
    I might take up on your offer as I may be going in that direction this Sunday I'll PM you this Saturday night.

10. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Velodyne make some interesting subs that usually offer punch and refinement - never heard one myself but read plenty of encouraging reviews from the usual mags etc.