Rel T9i

Olliefreddie1

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these?

I'm looking at one to replace an ageing B&W PV1.
Will go with 5 B&W M1's.

Also considering an Arendal sub 1 which I read great things about.

Film and music use, although film is the main use.

Would either of these be a step up replacement for my PV1?

Thanks in advance

You didn`t tell us your room size, but from pure performance perspective the Arendal Sub1 would be massive upgrade from PV1 which measurements (+- 3db 35hz-110hz) i have on hand. If i had to choose between REL and Arendal, there is no competition if you can handle the bigger sized Arendal in your room.

Hi
My room is about 16 ft by 12 ft.
I think Arendal sub 1 and Rel T9i are approx same size.

I do read good things about Arendal - have you heard a sub 1?

Hi
My room is about 16 ft by 12 ft.
I think Arendal sub 1 and Rel T9i are approx same size.

I do read good things about Arendal - have you heard a sub 1?

Arendal is larger mostly height wise (49.2H vs. 38.7H), just wanted to point it out as many are scared the size sometimes. Sadly haven`t heard it but did have a look for the review with measurements and it seems to be great for the price! T9i can`t touch it performance wise and definitely an upgrade from PV1. If you are still second guessing you might wanna have chat with the owners at Arendal sub thread. SVS SB2000 is another one to think about in that price/size range. Though i might still prefer Arendal.

SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer Review

I have a Rel T9 (not the "i" version) also a Rel T7 and Rel R238, and 2 B&W M1's all of which I'll be selling soon. The reason I'm selling the subs - I just got an Arendal Sub2 (it was either that or two Sub1's). As Gasp says above - there's no comparison - the Arendals are a class or two above the Rels. If budget allows - go with Arendal - you won't go wrong. Hth :)

Great thanks guys.
I think it's going to an Arendal sub 1 - the 2 is just too big.

Sounds like I will hear quite some improvement over my PV1 which I've been very happy with.

Check the sizes on the Arendal subs. The Sub1 is smallest - the Sub1.5 is bigger - then the Sub2 is somewhere between the two and only a little larger than the Sub1. The sub3 is larger than any of them. So what I mean is there's not a lot of difference size wise between the Sub1 and Sub2.

Yes saw that on website- problem would be with a sub 2 one of the side drivers would fire right at the tv unit sitting right up to it - not sure this would work.
The single driver of the 1 firing directly at listener I would think a better option?

Has anyone directly compared a sub 1 and 2 - appreciate a reasonable price hike - is it a decent jump in performance (I listen at fairly modest volumes - about -15 on the 75 reference

Following on this thread I went to a fantastic dealership near home yesterday and was able to back to back listen to different subs swapping each one out in turn.
Initially a PV1.
Then Rel T9 and a couple of SVS models (one of which was a monster with a 16 inch driver)

Whilst there was a difference in the low end underpinning of the soundtrack the difference was nowhere near what I was expecting.

In terms of timing and mid bass punch I felt the PV1 was right there with them.

So now I'm really snookered!

Well I’m downgrading from an SVS SB13 to a white REL T9i in my 6.5m x 4.5m x 3m(h) room ...I’ll let you know how much I miss the SVS soon :cool:

That SVS can slap up that room when it wants to at probably a meagre 50% if its volume already

It’s for aesthetic reasons

hi Ti33er...well, do you miss the SVS or is the REL T9i better? Do you watch movies mainly or music? I am about to place an order for the Rel
cheers
d

Hey sorry I didn’t see this. Didn’t get the REL T9i in the end... fancy a B&W DB3D or DB2D as they have profiles for my 805D3 to integrate seamlessly ...but I’ve not ruled out the T9i yet ;-)

I have a Rel T9 (not the "i" version) also a Rel T7 and Rel R238, and 2 B&W M1's all of which I'll be selling soon. The reason I'm selling the subs - I just got an Arendal Sub2 (it was either that or two Sub1's). As Gasp says above - there's no comparison - the Arendals are a class or two above the Rels. If budget allows - go with Arendal - you won't go wrong. Hth :)
@brantuk Did you sell any?

Yes I sold the T7 and the T9.

Well I wasn't intending to, but I have to admit I haven't used it in 18mths and I suppose it could go.

Are you selling the r238

Why are you still looking these tiny subs as you own already two? Save up for something larger and you will be done with the subwoofer upgrades. :)

Why are you still looking these tiny subs as you own already two? Save up for something larger and you will be done with the subwoofer upgrades. :)
I already have a rel r205 and BK gem 2.. Both 10 inch sealed but the rel is superior especially for movies. I think the more powerful and bigger r238 will be even better than my r205.

I already have a rel r205 and BK gem 2.. Both 10 inch sealed but the rel is superior especially for movies. I think the more powerful and bigger r238 will be even better than my r205.
And the QA 2070Si.
Do you have specs for the R238? I can only find R3x8 models and they weren´t anything special (esp for movies).

And the QA 2070Si.
Do you have specs for the R238? I can only find R3x8 models and they weren´t anything special (esp for movies).
I think the r2xx are 10 inch and r3xx are 12 inch. im thinking its the r328 and it was a typo...

im keeping my 2070si and its now in the bedroom.

I think the r2xx are 10 inch and r3xx are 12 inch. im thinking its the r328 and it was a typo...

im keeping my 2070si and its now in the bedroom.

Ok. So 350w amp with 10" active driver and 12" passive driver so it works more like ported sub rolling off very steeply below the tuning point. Measured -3db at 30hz, -6db at 28hz so nothing special at least for purely HT use, but surely step up what you own. I think it comes down to price as there is good options in the 500£ range these days and even more so if buying used.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom