Rel T5i subwoofer advice

drn93

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a room roughly between 1400-1800 cubic feet (rough measurements due to vaulted/sloping ceiling). Currently using a Denon X3400H AVR and I'm looking to get a new sub. The Rel T5i caught my eye because of its superb musicality, which is what I'm looking for. The high-level connection is attractive too. Thing is, I have a mixed system (60% music, 40% movies/tv) so I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me this sub or perhaps the T7i would be okay with regards to my room size and needs? I'm way more critical of the sub when it comes to music but for movies honestly, decent sub performance is good enough for me. I don't listen anywhere near reference levels.

For reference, the sub I'm using now is an old Accusound 10 inch 300W ported. Gain is just about at the 9 o clock position.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated!

My other choice would be the SVS 1000 pro but I'm more than certain I'd lose some of the musicality vs a Rel (feel free to prove me wrong)
Thanks in advance

@MI55ION had that T5i for short time and he was quite satisfied with 2ch listening. For movies it would be quite underwhelming vs. SB1000 Pro. You would notice the difference even at moderate levels. 8" vs. 12" driver size, larger cab, 3x more power.

Few months ago one US member bought T5i and SB1000. He listened both and returned REL, picked the SVS for music listening as it went lot lower and had fuller sound. People all over world are using SVS subwoofers with music listening aswell as movies so don´t see why it wouldn´t be good choice. You have the better Audussey version so you have sub eq in use and for 2ch listening you could try the Bypass L/R (XT32 menu - Reference is by default for movies), this removes eq from speakers but keeps it on sub. Works in stereo mode.

@MI55ION had that T5i for short time and he was quite satisfied with 2ch listening. For movies it would be quite underwhelming vs. SB1000 Pro. You would notice the difference even at moderate levels. 8" vs. 12" driver size, larger cab, 3x more power.

Few months ago one US member bought T5i and SB1000. He listened both and returned REL, picked the SVS for music listening as it went lot lower and had fuller sound. People all over world are using SVS subwoofers with music listening aswell as movies so don´t see why it wouldn´t be good choice. You have the better Audussey version so you have sub eq in use and for 2ch listening you could try the Bypass L/R (XT32 menu - Reference is by default for movies), this removes eq from speakers but keeps it on sub. Works in stereo mode.
Thank you for your reply man

Quite surprised to hear one member felt the SB1000 pro was better for 2ch music listening. I've been hearing everyone say that it's hard to beat REL's musicality and SVS, even though by no means sluggish, paled in comparison. Would the SVS be better in the upper bass regions as well? I plan on crossing over my speakers at around 100Hz give or take to work around some room modes.

Just to throw another option in here, has anyone had experience with Rythmik L12 and how it compares with these 2? May be another option for me if they aren't so difficult to get a hold of outside the US

I have a relt5i used for two channel listening and like the sound it gives me.

Quite surprised to hear one member felt the SB1000 pro was better for 2ch music listening. I've been hearing everyone say that it's hard to beat REL's musicality and SVS, even though by no means sluggish, paled in comparison. Would the SVS be better in the upper bass regions as well? I plan on crossing over my speakers at around 100Hz give or take to work around some room modes.

Just to throw another option in here, has anyone had experience with Rythmik L12 and how it compares with these 2? May be another option for me if they aren't so difficult to get a hold of outside the US

The model he bought was the "older" SB1000. But if you can get Rythmik L12 for same price and music is really important then i might lean toward that. You will find more information about it on AVSForum (US). It´s their choice for music systems in US where as Rel is typically chosen in UK. It´s also rather compact sized but would have the performance for movies similar to SVS, it has certain settings for HT and Music use also. Rythmik is well known from the Direct Servo tech. It seems to be on back order till early June, but surely worth the wait. If you would be leaning toward Rel then i would look the T7i or T9i if possible (open box / ex-demo for lower price), but they are still behind the SVS/Rythmik when it comes to movies (extension/output).

There is nothing particularly magical about the Rel T5i, its a good sub for what it is: standard driver, low powered amp, good build quality. Performance very similar to the BK Gemini II although I suspect it would last a lot longer than the BK.

If you're after "musical", look at Rythmik, JL Audio, Velodyne, Paradigm or even the ultra high end Rel.

Okay I will check out the SVS 1000 pro and hopefully Rythmik replies to the email I sent them because it's been a few weeks.
I still have reservations about using a 12 inch sub in my room, wouldn't that be overkill? I have the gain knob at 9 o clock on my current 10 inch sub so would the SB1000 pro or Rythmik be a bit wasted in my room size?

I hear the Rel HT series is good for music too- will wait for some comments on this before I take that any further lol

can you home audition a sub my rel works great with music and ok with movies but everyone has there own set of things there looking for so go listen to some and see what floats your boat.

Okay I will check out the SVS 1000 pro and hopefully Rythmik replies to the email I sent them because it's been a few weeks.
I still have reservations about using a 12 inch sub in my room, wouldn't that be overkill? I have the gain knob at 9 o clock on my current 10 inch sub so would the SB1000 pro or Rythmik be a bit wasted in my room size?

I hear the Rel HT series is good for music too- will wait for some comments on this before I take that any further lol
No they aren´t too large! I would say just spot on. They are really small in size and sound much better than your cheap ported sub.

11,6 - 13,7sqm. (1400-1800cuft)

Re-send the email to Rythmik. It shouldn`t take this long. Copy/paste the message from the sended emails and send it again!!

I've had a REL T5 for going on nine years so reliability is good. For music it's very fast and underpins it very well indeed. For film is simply not deep enough and lacks authority. REL have revampled their T Serie line up and taken the opportunity to whack up prices so if you want any of the old T models then don't hang around.

No they aren´t too large! I would say just spot on. They are really small in size and sound much better than your cheap ported sub.

11,6 - 13,7sqm. (1400-1800cuft)

Re-send the email to Rythmik. It shouldn`t take this long. Copy/paste the message from the sended emails and send it again!!

Wow this has given me something to think about. From what you've said so far now I'm thinking I definitely need the 12 inch SVS or Rythmik. I'm limited to subs around this price point due to budget constraints at the moment. If not I would just get a pair of the ultra high end Rels and call it a day.

I'll do somemore research on the SVS 1000 pro and Rythmik as well. There's a youtuber called Nemo propaganda that did a comparison on a few of them. Not sure if he's reliable or not but he seems to give his honest opinion which I appreciate

I've had a REL T5 for going on nine years so reliability is good. For music it's very fast and underpins it very well indeed. For film is simply not deep enough and lacks authority. REL have revampled their T Serie line up and taken the opportunity to whack up prices so if you want any of the old T models then don't hang around.

Yes if Rel suits my needs then now is the right time to buy the Ti series. Thanks for the info. I'm sure the Rel won't be as good for movies but do you feel the SVS or Rythmik would be as "fast" for music too? How much compromise would I be looking at?

Wow this has given me something to think about. From what you've said so far now I'm thinking I definitely need the 12 inch SVS or Rythmik. I'm limited to subs around this price point due to budget constraints at the moment. If not I would just get a pair of the ultra high end Rels and call it a day.

I'll do somemore research on the SVS 1000 pro and Rythmik as well. There's a youtuber called Nemo propaganda that did a comparison on a few of them. Not sure if he's reliable or not but he seems to give his honest opinion which I appreciate

If you can get the Rythmik without high shipping costs/taxes to Singapore then i can´t see you going wrong with the L12. Dig (google) around and you will notice people choose Rythmik for hifi system very often due to how good they sound, i think AVSForum has comparisons to other subs aswell. Contact them again now for pricing!

If you can get the Rythmik without high shipping costs/taxes to Singapore then i can´t see you going wrong with the L12. Dig (google) around and you will notice people choose Rythmik for hifi system very often due to how good they sound, i think AVSForum has comparisons to other subs aswell. Contact them again now for pricing!

Would it be wrong to say if SVS and Rel had a baby it would be Rythmik? Just resent them my message thru their website. Fingers crossed!

Hi all - a quick update:

Rythmik still haven't responded to any of my inquiries/emails through their "contact us" on the website. I'm not sure what's going on there, but I'm sure the shipping cost and warranty issue make it an unavailable option for me. Pity as it would've been perfect for what I need.

I've ruled out the T5i because it simply doesn't extend low enough for movies. Now concluded that the only viable options are SVS SB1000 Pro and the Rel HT1003. Both are the same price here. I'm certain both will give me ample SPL and output levels but can anyone tell me how these two differ in sound quality?

That's the main difference I want to know - which is better for music given they're the same price

Hi all - a quick update:

Rythmik still haven't responded to any of my inquiries/emails through their "contact us" on the website. I'm not sure what's going on there, but I'm sure the shipping cost and warranty issue make it an unavailable option for me. Pity as it would've been perfect for what I need.

I've ruled out the T5i because it simply doesn't extend low enough for movies. Now concluded that the only viable options are SVS SB1000 Pro and the Rel HT1003. Both are the same price here. I'm certain both will give me ample SPL and output levels but can anyone tell me how these two differ in sound quality?

That's the main difference I want to know - which is better for music given they're the same price

I talked with Enrico from Rythmik and he said for you to contact "Econ-AV in Singapore". So you can buy it locally. Not sure what was the issue as he has responded to you directly already. It`s authorized dealer also so no issues with warranty. Get the order in!

I talked with Enrico from Rythmik and he said for you to contact "Econ-AV in Singapore". So you can buy it locally. Not sure what was the issue as he has responded to you directly already. It`s authorized dealer also so no issues with warranty. Get the order in!
Hello thank you for the reply and for contacting Enrico at Rythmik. Did he say he responded to me? I haven’t received any emails! Even been checking my spam folder diligently for the last few weeks but nothing. Also I did speak to the owner of Econ-AV in Singapore and he said he will not bring in the L12. That sucks. Could you kindly relay this info to Enrico? If you pm me his contact details I’d be happy to do it myself! Really want to get the order in somehow

Hello thank you for the reply and for contacting Enrico at Rythmik. Did he say he responded to me? I haven’t received any emails! Even been checking my spam folder diligently for the last few weeks but nothing. Also I did speak to the owner of Econ-AV in Singapore and he said he will not bring in the L12. That sucks. Could you kindly relay this info to Enrico? If you pm me his contact details I’d be happy to do it myself! Really want to get the order in somehow

I can ask, but he said it quite straight. :(

We do not ship to countries where we have dealers already. We have dealers in Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, India and China.

I can ask, but he said it quite straight. :(

We do not ship to countries where we have dealers already. We have dealers in Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, India and China.
oh man okay. I’d appreciate if you told him anyway. me and quite a few others want the L12 here in Singapore but the dealer won’t bring it in.

Thank you for your replies @Gasp3621
If the L12 is unattainable, looks like I’m back to the SVS SB1000 Pro or the Rel HT1003. Someone told me that because I listen around 70db max, the 10 inch driver on the Rel might be better suited. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

oh man okay. I’d appreciate if you told him anyway. me and quite a few others want the L12 here in Singapore but the dealer won’t bring it in.

Thank you for your replies @Gasp3621
If the L12 is unattainable, looks like I’m back to the SVS SB1000 Pro or the Rel HT1003. Someone told me that because I listen around 70db max, the 10 inch driver on the Rel might be better suited. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Maybe you have put your email wrong. He said to contact via the site, but if the dealer doesn´t want to take L12 there then you are out of luck.

Rel is overpriced if the same price as new SB1000 Pro, not that it would be bad - no! Just that SVS offers more for same money. The claim is quite odd with 70db and 10" driver. Nonsense. I wouldn`t hesitate going with SVS if it ticks boxes for you otherwise and fits there. It`s very small (smallest sealed sub with 12" driver), better performance, app control with manual parametric eq to tackle room modes, will sound great (feedback) and has 5year amp warranty vs. Rel has 3years. But your call.

Did you read all the glowing reviews? They love it with music too which isn´t suprise as the earlier SB1000 was liked with mixed use too, AVSForum (US) is full of owners who has it in 2.1 desktop and hifi systems. Haven`t seen them complaining. Check these out.

Last edited:
Maybe you have put your email wrong. He said to contact via the site, but if the dealer doesn´t want to take L12 there then you are out of luck.

Rel is overpriced if the same price as new SB1000 Pro, not that it would be bad - no! Just that SVS offers more for same money. The claim is quite odd with 70db and 10" driver. Nonsense. I wouldn`t hesitate going with SVS if it ticks boxes for you otherwise and fits there. It`s very small (smallest sealed sub with 12" driver), better performance, app control with manual parametric eq to tackle room modes, will sound great (feedback) and has 5year amp warranty vs. Rel has 3years. But your call.

Did you read all the glowing reviews? They love it with music too which isn´t suprise as the earlier SB1000 was liked with mixed use too, AVSForum (US) is full of owners who has it in 2.1 desktop and hifi systems. Haven`t seen them complaining. Check these out.

I just checked out the links you sent me. Great reviews and they’ve alleviated some notions I had about the SVS being not as tight or fast for music. Do you have links for more of these?

You’re absolutely right, on paper it is by far the better deal. The only hesitance I had was if it may be less musical than the Rel HT. Only thing left for me to do is to go have a listen for myself!

Regarding Rythmik - I’m certain my email was correct because I double checked but still could’ve been my mistake. I’m wondering if there’s any need to contact them via their site a third time and triple check all my details are correct if the dealer here isn’t gonna bring the L12? He straight up said no get the F12 or nothing for you :/

I just checked out the links you sent me. Great reviews and they’ve alleviated some notions I had about the SVS being not as tight or fast for music. Do you have links for more of these?

You’re absolutely right, on paper it is by far the better deal. The only hesitance I had was if it may be less musical than the Rel HT. Only thing left for me to do is to go have a listen for myself!

Regarding Rythmik - I’m certain my email was correct because I double checked but still could’ve been my mistake. I’m wondering if there’s any need to contact them via their site a third time and triple check all my details are correct if the dealer here isn’t gonna bring the L12? He straight up said no get the F12 or nothing for you :/

Just google perhaps there is more, but not sure if needed as the fact is that it`s good product for mixed use in small to med size room.

Less musical than Rel HT range? I very much doubt that, but listen yourself. Place the subs at same spot (very importan). Ideally they should be level matched so one does not play louder (spl meter c-weighted and slow response, phone app would do too). But yeah if you have dealers for both brands same shop that would be ideal. Then bring your favourite music with you and just listen and compare. You probably have to call and book demo time.

I´m afraid you are out of luck if the dealer says so, then Rythmik can´t do anything about it cause they don´t deside for the dealer anything. So you got to pressure them if you want the L12 or save up for F12.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom