Rel T5i and Sony 1080 amp

bigvern123

Standard Member
Hi,
Novice in this, have read too much conflicting advice for me to get clear,, both items have been packed away for a few years whilst I was doing house renno so unused as yet.
I listen to music and watch films 50/50 so the compromise in setup needs to consider both, if i had to choose probably music is more important.

Rel state to use both high level and LFE connections, setting speakers to large, and have a fair few videos and docs covering this and extolling its virtues.
A few brains on here suggest using just the LFE and setting speakers to small.

With that in mind and in my case any advice/recommendations and why?
Also can someone clarify these for me please ?;

SETUP 1 - LFE connected only (no high level);
If playing music, (2 channel) I understand the Sony would still use the Sub if the speakers are set to small, would that still be the case if physical connection is only the LFE cable (maybe stupid question but does the ""LFE ""connection carry only .1 info from 5.1/7/1 soundtracks or will it carry the bass from the 2 channel music as above)

In that setup does the crossover on the Rel sub have any effect on the sound (or is the crossover on the sub only for the high level)

Any recommendations of what crossover settings I should set on the Sony in this setup (small speakers, LFE connected) if my speakers are 60Hz - am assuming the sub will be operating in this setup.

Any other thoughts welcome, I know Ill need to experiment but wanted a good grounding first, thanks.

SETUP 2 - LFE and High level connected ;

If I experiment with this, do you recommend setting the crossover by using the AV amp or using the crossover on the Sub.

If the speakers are set to small, I will get bass sent to the T5i via the LFE only true? (2 channel music)
If so my thinking is both the crossover on the T5i and AV amp crossover settings will both be active ? , which one do I use to set the sound?

If the speakers are set to large I will still get bass sent to the T5i this time via the high level, true ? (2 channel music)

Any pros/cons sound wise of the small/large settings in above scenario.

Oswald

I tested both options recently using my REL Q200E and couldn't tell any difference after connecting both the LFE and high level inputs and setting front speakers to large (and fiddling with crossover, etc.). I could have left it set up like that I suppose, but went back to using the LFE connection only with all speakers set to small and 80Hz crossover.

Your ears (and more modern sub) may give different results, so I'd advise just having a read of the manual about how to set it up and having a go! :smashin:

bigvern123

Standard Member
I tested both options recently using my REL Q200E and couldn't tell any difference after connecting both the LFE and high level inputs and setting front speakers to large (and fiddling with crossover, etc.). I could have left it set up like that I suppose, but went back to using the LFE connection only with all speakers set to small and 80Hz crossover.

Your ears (and more modern sub) may give different results, so I'd advise just having a read of the manual about how to set it up and having a go! :smashin:
Thank you, so for my clairty the 80hz was set on the amp?,

Oswald

Thank you, so for my clairty the 80hz was set on the amp?,
What does the sub's manual say about crossover and the LFE connection?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom