REL T/9x Subwoofer Review & Comments

nicfaz

So it's the equivalent to the BK electronics XLS200 and very close to it in specification, but instead of £355 for the BK, REL want £1300 for this?

Or if you do want to spend £1300, then SVS can offer you the SB3000, a sub that is massively, comprehensively better than the REL, with a 13" driver and 800W. There's no comparison.

But this REL gets a highly recommended.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Very good looking product, but the price is hard to swallow and it seems they kept the same amplification from old i range while asking more ££. New drivers and slightly larger cab thankfully, but many probably had higher hopes that REL would bring something noticeably better. This AVF review used movies mostly, no mention of any music listening and usually the T range from REL is seen more ideal for 2.1 music system than hometheater. Much better choices for movie use:

You get two Rel HT/1205 for the price of one T9x which would be more at home with blockbuster flicks offering better low end extension and more output / lower distortion with the ability to get smoother response (duals). Sure they won´t look as good.

BK P12 / P12-PR and XXLS400 all three in gloss finish can also be had for duals cheaper than one T9x.

SVS SB3000 gloss black costs exactly the same 1300£ and with 13" driver, 800w amp, phone app control with PEQ makes the REL look very expensive cause the SVS would slaughter the T9x, even the SB2000 Pro would do that at 900£ mark (gloss after discount).

From video review in-room response of T9x in small room:

t9x.png

Dobbyisfree

Dobbyisfree

Very good looking product, but the price is hard to swallow and it seems they kept the same amplification from old i range while asking more ££. New drivers and slightly larger cab thankfully, but many probably had higher hopes that REL would bring something noticeably better. This AVF review used movies mostly, no mention of any music listening and usually the T range from REL is seen more ideal for 2.1 music system than hometheater. Much better choices for movie use:

You get two Rel HT/1205 for the price of one T9x which would be more at home with blockbuster flicks offering better low end extension and more output / lower distortion with the ability to get smoother response (duals). Sure they won´t look as good.

BK P12 / P12-PR and XXLS400 all three in gloss finish can also be had for duals cheaper than one T9x.

SVS SB3000 gloss black costs exactly the same 1300£ and with 13" driver, 800w amp, phone app control with PEQ makes the REL look very expensive cause the SVS would slaughter the T9x, even the SB2000 Pro would do that at 900£ mark (gloss after discount).

View attachment 1507426
So as discussed in a recent thread, with this sub you are bugg3r3d if you have any speaker crossover greater than about 90hz? Unless you get some serious EQ correction in there...

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
So as discussed in a recent thread, with this sub you are bugg3r3d if you have any speaker crossover greater than about 90hz? Unless you get some serious EQ correction in there...

That's got to be the room and/or filter doing that, can't be it's natural response.

nicfaz

View attachment 1507426
You are very kind saying that its "more ideal for 2.1 music". There is no application, none whatsoever, where this REL can be demonstrated to be better than any of the similar priced competition, or even much cheaper competition. Not music, not movies. A BK XXLS400 would slaughter this in any application apart from looks.

If you really like the look of it (it does look good), then that's a reason. But there are no other reasons.

Dobbyisfree

By the way, my apologies, as I'm being rude thank you @Steve Withers for the review. It seems like the discussion is going in a negative direction after it!
But I'm in agreement, I don't understand REL's direction with some of their products at the moment. If you want something that you can either (a) hide and/or (b) to look pretty then you could get a KC62 instead of this or almost have the money for TWO SVS 3000 Micros!
To me, it's like REL can't decide on their direction. That is, unless like @nicfaz says there is something amazing about it's ability with music?

nicfaz

By the way, my apologies, as I'm being rude thank you @Steve Withers for the review. It seems like the discussion is going in a negative direction after it!
But I'm in agreement, I don't understand REL's direction with some of their products at the moment. If you want something that you can either (a) hide and/or (b) to look pretty then you could get a KC62 instead of this or almost have the money for TWO SVS 3000 Micros!
To me, it's like REL can't decide on their direction. That is, unless like @nicfaz says there is something amazing about it's ability with music?
Just to be clear, whilst I hope the REL does make a good fist of music, my view is that any of the sealed subs from BK and SVS would be better at music than this, other than perhaps the £355 BX XLS200. BK have always been good for music and SVS's driver revisions lately have been focused on achieving better transients to improve their music ability.

As for being rude, I just hope that anyone who buys this sub on the basis of this review does so because they love the looks, or never finds out how much more performance they could have got for the money (or how much they could have saved).

Dobbyisfree

Imagine an in-room response curve from four EQed (maybe some or all are hidden) XLS200s... how flat could that be?

steve sph

Style over substance and then some. I don’t understand the score in light of the competition.
Couldn't agree more - how on earth a 300 watt sub with a 10 inch driver can cost more than, for example, an SVS SB3000 is just crazy.
But it looks nice, and I guess that's the deal clincher for the more-money-than-sense brigade.

nicfaz

Imagine an in-room response curve from four EQed (maybe some or all are hidden) XLS200s... how flat could that be?
Or two XXLS400's. That would be a great twin-test, this REL versus two BK XXLS400 FF and almost £400 change.

I suspect I know who might win 🤣

CaroleBaskin

I usually enjoy Steve’s reviews and really take note of his on the mark comparisons to other products in areas of performance and value…. But this, this can’t be a standalone editorial, can it? It feels like a paid for review with no regard given to the competition. How it got a 9 is beyond me.

Dobbyisfree

I take the opposite view. These reviews are googleable and are quite well known and regarded across the internet, so the reviewers have to be careful about what they say.
I also believe that, anyone choosing to criticise the review methods should perhaps give AVforums reviewing a go themselves first. :)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You are very kind saying that its "more ideal for 2.1 music". There is no application, none whatsoever, where this REL can be demonstrated to be better than any of the similar priced competition, or even much cheaper competition. Not music, not movies. A BK XXLS400 would slaughter this in any application apart from looks.

If you really like the look of it (it does look good), then that's a reason. But there are no other reasons.

Well the specs would be more acceptable for that type of use and with the marketing of the using high level connection etc. :)

There is actually members who claim the T7i or T9i was step up from XXLS400 after hearing them in same room. Can`t remember the thread not too long ago. Still it would be hard to swallow as you pointed the price difference is so massive.

You also have JL D110 with 10" driver that is probably in different league to Rel with 750w amp! Nice compact sized cab with JLs gorgeous gloss black finish at 1200£, still cheaper. :)

Dominion-D110-Black-Gloss.jpg

steve sph

I take the opposite view. These reviews are googleable and are quite well known and regarded across the internet, so the reviewers have to be careful about what they say.
I also believe that, anyone choosing to criticise the review methods should perhaps give AVforums reviewing a go themselves first. :)
Sorry, but I don't need to do my own review to know that this subwoofer is under-spec and overpriced and that an SVS SB3000 blows it out of the water for less money.
I would never question a reviewer's integrity, but in this instance I definitely question his opinion.

nicfaz

I'm never convinced by this logic - I don't have to play tennis as well as Roger Federer to know that he didn't mean his serve to hit the net, nor do I have to be as good as Mo Salah at football to know he didn't mean to shank the ball into the stands.

I don't have to review subwoofers for a living to critique this review. What is it's purpose? It'll drive some clicks and page views to AVForums, which is all well and good. Steve will get paid, also a good thing. But from a consumer's perspective it is completely useless, you might as well just download REL's press release and read it.

If I must edit the review then at the very least:
  1. remove the "highly recommended" badge and in the Cons section, replace "Fairly Expensive" with "Very Expensive";
  2. Add "Better performance available at a much cheaper price";
  3. Then in the alternatives section, attempt a proper sonic comparison between the BK P12-300SB-PR to draw out that the BK is likely to be better sounding for a lot less (Steve has reviewed both); and
  4. Add in the SVS SB3000, pointing out that this would comprehensively monster the REL in all sonic ways, at the expense of looking a bit more brutal. Sorted.

Last edited:

Dobbyisfree

I'm glad I got everyone talking :)
I didn't realise the AVForums reviewers were paid. I thought anyone could just post a review... shows my ignorance there then sorry!
Interestingly, I was only posting on a thread earlier this week how I wish there was more opportunity for comparison tests.
An idea - would members consider loaning equipment to AVforums to carry out comparisons and/or testing - i.e. to the benefit of all... if AVF could pay for transport?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Either that or put "Advertorial" at the top...
It's not an advertorial, if it was it would be marked as such. It is a review from Steve that is not paid for in any way by the manufacturer. The review is Steve's opinion based on actual testing and living with the product. It is fine to have an opposing viewpoint, but to then suggest it must be paid for because it differs from your opinion is just silly.
Finally have you actually used this subwoofer in question or are you basing your opinions on specs alone? Steve has reached his opinions based on actual use of the product and he is vastly experienced with reviewing subs and looking at all the features, design, performance and market position to reach conclusions. You don't have to agree with those findings but saying it must be because the reviewer is 'paid for' or questioning his integrity is silly.

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
A subwoofer isn't all about specs or the size of the driver or rated power.

There is so much more.. First of all, the BK amp is old technology, cheap and cheerful.. The build quality of the components is no where near the Rel.

People are happy to buy a £1300 mobile phone (im not saying which phones) that will be replaced in 18 months-2 years time, that on paper will do the same job as a £300-£400 from another brand.

Rel make quality well engineered reliable subwoofers that will last years and hold value. It's a good investment.

password1

Distinguished Member
Or two XXLS400's. That would be a great twin-test, this REL versus two BK XXLS400 FF and almost £400 change.

I suspect I know who might win 🤣
Not the same.. That's like comparing two award winning great value for money Dacia Sanderos to one Merc A class.

steve sph

Oh dear - I was afraid the 'well if you've not heard it you've no right to an opinion' logic would rear it's ugly head.
I've never heard Moon Audio's million pound speakers but I've got a fair idea they're better than my Special Forties.
This 'but it may have special powers that just aren't borne out by statistics' line is the busted flush fallacy of high price cable audiophools.
As for folks buying underperforming subwoofers as an investment, well good luck with that...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I usually enjoy Steve’s reviews and really take note of his on the mark comparisons to other products in areas of performance and value…. But this, this can’t be a standalone editorial, can it? It feels like a paid for review with no regard given to the competition. How it got a 9 is beyond me.
From the review

Review said:
What are my alternatives?
Review said:
It's almost a cliche at this point, but if you're looking for affordable bass then look no further than the BK Electronics P12-300SB-PR. This sealed subwoofer uses a 12-inch driver combined with a 12-inch passive radiator, along with 300W of Class A/B, and similar controls and connections. It goes below 20Hz, but somehow still manages to deliver bass that’s controlled and responsive, as well as ridiculously deep. It might not have the luxury touches of the REL, but at around £500-600 (depending on finish) it's extraordinary value.

If your budget comes in a bit higher, then the awesome SVS SB-2000 Pro is definitely worth considering. This sealed subwoofer crams a 12-inch driver and 550W RMS of Class D power into a remarkably compact cabinet. It has limited connectivity, but does include SVS's superb remote app, making this particular sub a joy to set-up. It's a stellar performer too, dipping below 20Hz while managing to remain tight and controlled. Depending on the finish you choose, it costs between £899-999, so it won't break the bank either.

And no, just because you don't agree with Steve's opinions, it doesn't mean it was paid for.

SonOfSJ

The price of this REL is quoted as £1,299. Regarding similarly priced alternatives, I did ask in the comments section of the live podcast on Wednesday about how this REL would compare with the SVS SB3000 subwoofer (which, being much more recent than the 2000 and 1000 ranges, has not been updated with a PRO version). I think Mr Withers did say on the podcast that the SVS SB3000 subwoofer was better than this REL-T-9X. The SVS currently costs (I've just checked) £1,275. People might want to read Mr Withers's May 2019 review of the SVS SB3000 here.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+