REL T/7i Subwoofer and Arrow Wireless Module Review

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ed Selley, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,999
    2. samsungderby

samsungderby

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +310
      Seems a bit pricey to me , especially when you can get the Arendal sub1 for less money.
      Im fairly confident that would outperform the Rel. It would be interesting if you guys could do a review, to compare.

3. purextc69

purextc69

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +91
      Would be indeed. At minimum I am looking to replace my sub with a sub 1 / 1.5.

4. Pelter35

Pelter35
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      I own a Rel t5 subwoofer. Very happy with it.
      But in this review it is mentioned that the crossover was set to 55hz. When using the high level input that is.

Since the crossover dailer lacks digits (it only mentions 30hz and 120hz)
      How do you know precisely what the crossover is set to?

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,999
      By generating test tones on the laptop and sending them to the Hugo 2 until I got an audible tone on the REL(s). It's not exact as you say but I'm confident I got within 1-2Hz.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 2
      • List
    6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,172
      I own a pair of REL T7i's and after previously meddling with an SVS PC ULtra, I prefer the pair of mini subs.

The simultaneous high/low input is genius... if you run your AV amp in pure direct mode, you get stereo sub bass if you want it. Unplug the high level connection if you don't.

But leaving the high level connection in place for AV is no problem at all since the amps bass management cuts the low frequencies to the high level output, and by balancing the individual gain controls for both high and low level input you can get a very even handed balance when switching between 2-channel Pure direct, and multi channel AV.

I find the bass output to be pretty adequate... there's not the trouser flapping rush of air you get with a monster sub, but I've grown out of that phase. I want tuneful, tight, clean bass that augments both my stereo and AV listening.

I love my T7i pair... but I'd concede 1 isn't enough.

7. AV Online

AV Online
      Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Unit 4 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
      Ratings:
      +793
      Something has been made of how Rels dont have the extension of some of the newer arrivals, but for the last 15 years Ive consistently enjoyed the sound Rel subwoofers produce. I still have a Q100e, and an R528 (both of which have been donated to and are now being used by family members), and while the old Q series is relatively weak for cinema playback by today standard, its outlived every other piece of AV Ive owned and is still an enjoyable musical listen. The 528 is currently living in an extension that is 10m x 7m and it fills that entire space with ease, but still maintains a lovely fast musical sound.

The T series sits between the two and as noted, a single wont get sofas shaking but thats kind of missing the point. By not being obsessed with low end, it focuses on that enjoyable punchy mid bass that experience has taught me the vast majority prefer and enjoy, and if pushed will take this over extension and sofa shaking if getting that means losing the musicality. Ive been a fan of Rels for the best part of 20 years, and thats not set to change anytime soon.

8. moedeeb

moedeeb

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      The badge on the top has fallen of my unit and now the whole thing sounds muddy and uncoordinated. If I stick it back on with blutack the sound is cohesive and controlled with a tight punchy base keeping pace with the overall sound.

I'm glad you had added the bit about REL saying the badge impacts the resonance of the cabinet or I might never have tried this simple fix.

9. pressure

pressure

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +470
      Fast tuneful sub bass? Sounds very tempting. Not sure my Genelec 8040s really *need* more than my xtz can provide but - theoretically - these could be a jolly nice, av friendly, musically satisfying, rhythmic sub bass solution.

I'd like to try them.

But that lack of phase control. Concerning. My subs have to sit at the back...

10. SPINO

SPINO

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +194
      I love my little REL Tzero , it works a treat with my Micro SEs , there is enough bass there to follow bass lines in music . Everyone that has heard it is very impressed given its size...

11. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,172
      Regarding the concern with no variable phase control... Just adjust your AV amp's bass management controls, specifically the delay time to the subwoofer... Does the same thing.

12. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,999
      If you have an AV amp. For pure stereo implementations, I would prefer to have one.

13. mainaman

mainaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +219
      I have had around a dozen subs,from a smaller than this Rel to a SVS PB-12/2 Ultra,and i thought that the "small and lightweight woofer is more musical,tuneful and agile" marketing from the likes of Rel has been exposed as a myth ages ago.There are many factors,which contribute to a more "musical" sub,and some deficiencies like the lack of a real sub-bass extension and output can trick the ears that a small sub sounds faster and freer of overhang.

14. AV Online

AV Online

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +793
      Thing is, for 99% plus of people out there in the real world, they would have no way of knowing how to properly integrate the phase in a stereo system. To do it right you need to measure the in room audio response, and while some people can and will do it by ear (when I balance the gain on a subwoofer to speakers for example, I can often get it within a Db or 2), generally its not as accurate as most people think it is. Another thing with a stereo set up is that youre really supposed to be using the sub as part of the speaker and the subwoofer should be close to the front speakers, and in this scenario the phase almost always wants leaving at 0 anyway. Variable phase control is nice in theory, in practice you seldom need it and few people have any idea how to properly use it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    15. AV Online

AV Online

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +793
      Its not a myth per se. If a driver isnt concerned with lots of output at very low frequencies then it naturally leads to a faster more agile and musical sound because the upper bass stays clean. Stress a driver with low end output and the negative impact is that the upper bass frequencies, which are much more audible, suffer and become less accurate. You can negate some of these effects in various ways, like using larger drivers that require less overall excursion, using ported designs, or employing multiple subwoofers. Rel prefer to do the latter, which on balance is more expensive, but does lead to overall better results.

The thing to remember with musicality, is that this is down to the performance of the upper bass region of where a subwoofer plays. This has to remain clean and dynamic, and thats where Rel prefer to focus their priorities, and adding just enough low end extension to make for a balanced overall sound. They may not go as deep as some others out there, even at the same price point, but to view that as a negative misses the point of what Rel want from their subwoofers really.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    16. mainaman

mainaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +219
      I agree with you,it doesnt make them a good choice for movies,though.I cant fault their aesthetics,fit and finish and connection options.I think that subwoofers are to be avoided for stereo music,but many people cant accomodate large speakers,so i can understand Rel's appeal.Not that it is strictly necessary anymore as speakers like the Devialet Phantom are a great alternative.

17. AV Online

AV Online

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +793
      You would hope so at the price, those things arent cheap. As for Rel not being a good choice for home cinema, I wouldnt necessarily agree, the R528 running in a family members set up can be felt through the sofa, it really depends on what you are chasing in terms of the sound you like and the performance you want. The T7i isnt the last word in ground shaking, but thats because it doesnt want to compromise its sound in trying to do so.

18. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +591
      I'd agree that we seam to have go the idea from the US, that lower is better. but not with music.
      Well unless you love organs.

You need clean fast bass down to around 40hz to cover the lowest bass guitar. Lower than 40hz your ears ability is dropping off fast and for sure at 20hz non existent. So its Bass you feel low down and that good for movies. I sure feel the Bass in my gut with the paradigm, so am sure the Rels would be just as good.

The area around the crossover frequency suffers on many big heavy go low sub woofers. I don't find SVS as musical as some rivals. I went with Paradigm rather than Rel as I wanted a small fast sub with bass management. The wife didn't like the XTZ 1X12 i had before. While i would the XTZ was more powerful lower down the paradigm run rings around the XTZ in terms of control and quality of the bass (It does have BASS management).

Just as a note. The XTZ had my lights rattling. I spent quite a bit of time damping down pictures, lights and furniture with felt and foam. This made a huge difference to the quality of the sound. while i have a few frequency the cause some bad room interaction it's mostly tamed and the Bass management on top keeps thing well under control.

19. samsungderby

samsungderby

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +310
      Or you could just get an Arendal and have the best of both worlds.

20. mainaman

mainaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +219
      A Monolith DF Plus is cheaper and better choice for HC,so is the Arendal and others.Some are probably as or more "musical" too.But the likes of Rel have got an appeal as the ownership of any audio equipment is not purely about measurements and SQ alone.

Regarding the Devialet Phantom,considering that they are capable of replacing decent quality speakers(conservative estimate of 800-1000 pounds),stereo amp(same) and compact dual subs(at least 2x500 pounds),they are not that pricey.If they continue improving the midrange and the tweeter,without hiking the price up beyond the 5k barrier,they may finally break away from their lifestyle image.

21. AV Online

AV Online

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +793
      There is always an advantage to be had if you can accommodate larger cabinets, theyre simply more efficient, but size is often quite important. There are considerations tied to every product :smashin:

22. chopstix

chopstix
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      i'm so close to jumping on one or a pair of these...mostly for tight, fast, accurate bass for music.
      would be for driving my Kef LS50 wireless (active) speakers.
      http://us.kef.com/ls50-wireless
      i can only use the low pass as they're active, but still want quality bottom end
      mostly for music (don't often use a sub for movies..or if i do i turn it down low
      as i don't want to piss off neighbours).
      my room 12'x16' to listening area...then opens behind me another 12'...
      so i guess 12x26 in total.

i'm also looking at other subs:
      Rythmik is on my shortlist...I'm looking at their F12 sealed that was recommended by Enrico
      Rythmik Audio servo subwoofer 12" F12
      (we emailed each other back and forth a short while ago...they're just not as ''well known'' as the heavy hitters like SVS, REL, JL etc...so it's tougher to find review on their gear, esp F12 that i'm interested in).

I was also impressed after talking to Tom Vodhanel of PSA on the 15S (sealed) 15S

if anyone has heard all three, would love to get your feedback, please.

23. BlackSpider777

BlackSpider777

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      I have B&W 600 series 5 speakers. Was thinking of getting a REL T9i sub.
      Got a query regarding the connection. My avr is a Denon avrx2300. I want to connect the REL through High Level input as well as LFE. For movies i want to use the LFE primary so my speakers will be all set to Small in the avr settings with a crossover of 80hz.

For music i want to choose the High Level Input & use the Denon avr Pure Direct mode which will basically make my Front speakers Full Range. Is this way possible with the REL sub?

Thanks.

24. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,172
      As long as your Denon has the option to set speaker size and crossover frequency separately for 2 channel audio (most do nowadays), then Yes absolutely.

The simultaneous high/low input capability of the RELs with independent gain controls for each, in conjunction with the appropriate functionality within your AVR (described above) is absolutely the key to achieve what you want.