REL Subwoofer surprise......

T1berious

Established Member
Reaction score
OK,

So I had an issue with my REL R-328. It powered on but than switched straight off. I'd had it a few years so didn't mind replacing it (Got an SVS SB-3000), anyway I'm lucky enough to have worked with a mate who in a previous life was a component level electrical engineer.

I asked him if he wouldn't mind having a look, he said fine (I'm seriously in debt to him on favours) and I took it over. I expected him to have a look over the coming weeks and let me know how he got on but no, he got stuck in that evening...

51261991224_d95dc7e201_w.jpg
so the caps were worse for wear.

51260518957_37f41ceda4_w.jpg
and have left a fair old mess etc.

51261991184_f00ddbb0a3_w.jpg

Hopefully sorted

51262291615_6c0b6d9c30_w.jpg

Anyway he tells me how he replaced the Capacitors that were clearly stuffed, tested it and had some success but then it tripped out. He mentioned the Caps in there were pretty cheap ones and replaced them with better quality japanese ones. Took a while for them to arrive, fitted them and the same again. So worked for a bit then tripped out.

So my mate goes all in and decides to replace all the smaller caps to resolve the issue.

Anyway, he says that Sub you got? you didn't get another Rel? I said nope, just got a SVS as it was available next day. He says "good as this looks really expensive for a Chinese Sub marketed as if its made in Bridgend"

Now I get that stuff gets made to a price point but I never had an issue with my Q100e in all the time I had it. However, the comments made by someone who had a career in industry left me a bit shocked considering at new it was 1200 note sub.

I guess no one is really doing a tear down at component level (actually it's part of what I like about the British Audiophile channel) but still it sounds a lot like "yup lets trade on the brand" ?

Am I being cynical?

Is that not just the switched mode power supply, not the audio board? They probably do just buy that in as a module, but there's still no real excuse if it's not fit for purpose.

Is that not just the switched mode power supply, not the audio board? They probably do just buy that in as a module, but there's still no real excuse if it's not fit for purpose.

I've no idea, all I do know is that while looking into my issue he was "horrified" at the component level parts used at that price point.

As you state though it could be a bought in part but still.....

In other news my mate was so impressed at what the sub added to his system, he went and got a BK P12-300SB-PR!

I feel guilty about that...

In other news my mate was so impressed at what the sub added to his system, he went and got a BK P12-300SB-PR!

Out of curiosity has he had a look at the quality of the components this uses?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom