• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

REL Subwoofer for centre speaker hi-level only

IanW

I have my G1 that is being used for hi-level fronts and LFE. I want to use my REL B2 sub for centre speaker bass extension only (using hi-level, no LFE). I know how to wire this and have done so. For normal REL hi-level you switch the system to stereo only and tune the sub using music, the LFE is then done separately, but can anyone give me some ideas of how to tune the sub to the centre speaker only?

Thanks,

Ian.

IanW

After chatting with REL, I have now setup the B2 sub for the centre channel extension.

The solution used was to disconnect all speaker cables except the centre speaker and put the Amp in All Channel Stereo. Then find some bass rich music and tune as per a normal REL subwoofer (excluding the LFE).

Then reconnect everything and away you go. So now all three front speakers are set to large in the Amp.

Conrad

Couldn't you just have connected the centre and sub to the L channel, adjusted the sub and then reconnected them back to the centre?

Or use REW with a mic to actually integrate it.

It's an unusual set up, that's for sure.

IanW

Couldn't you just have connected the centre and sub to the L channel, adjusted the sub and then reconnected them back to the centre?

Or use REW with a mic to actually integrate it.

It's an unusual set up, that's for sure.

I could have done as you said, but didn’t for a couple of reasons. The REL hi-level is bare wire at the amp, so I would have had to unscrew the three wires from the G1 and wire the B2 and then reverse when done, it’s quicker to just unplug. Also, the way I did it means it is balanced to the single speaker rather than pair.

The setup is recommended by REL, if you have multiple subs, to extend the range of the centre and rears (if you have three subs).

Having played with the system, I am very happy with the result. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom