1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL subwoofer cable

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by marcoeser, Apr 26, 2002.

1. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I have a Rel Strata III Sub connected at speaker level with my fronts using REL's supplied cable. I'm wondering if I'd notice any difference if I upgraded this with Russ Andrew's REL Subwoofer cable :
    "We offer our 8TC speaker cable as a single run terminated with a Speakon connector for use with your REL subwoofer."

Has anyone done this and have had any success?

marc :)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

Not tried it myself but I´m dubious you´ll notice a huge improvement considering the cost of the cable.

I reckon you´d be better tinkering with the sub placement, putting it on spikes etc before spending the money on their cable.

If you´ve done that already then maybe its worth purchasing, you can always return it if its no good.

I´m still not convinced of the whole Russ Andrews thing!! (maybe I should try!!)

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the subwoofer cable is one of the less important, easier load, so I wouldn´t bother...

4. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys,
    it was just a thought.

5. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you guys are saying the subwoofer cable isn't that inportant?

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Maybe up to a point. I bought a 3 metre phono cable for my sub that cost about 10 quid a metre but wouldnt spend any more than that. I dont think theres a huge amount of difference between it and the cable that came with the sub to be honest.

7. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the REL storm and used the 5 metre cable that came with it and had a low level hum from the sub. Only noticably when all was quit. Ofcourse this turned out to be interferance. The cable was not screened. I bought a 3m screened cable and made the terminations myself. Now all is perfect.

The important thing is good screening and keep the length as short as you can. It might be a "sound" investment in even a £10 cable.

8. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 3m screened cable and made the terminations myself. Now all is perfect.
    Raveun

Where can I get one of these screened cables please?

Can you post the details please?

Thanks

Eddie:)

9. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keene electronics http://www.keene.co.uk
    You'll have to order their catalogue as they don't show everything.

My storm has an XLR connection. I had a company make this cable up for me (XLR Male to a phono) but they wired it up wrong Which I found out when I switched on and the sub buzzed like hell. Now I think REL put phono connections on their subs now.

My XLR connection had 3 pins which I had to solder the screening to one and split the core between two. You probably have a phono on yours anyway.

The cable I ordered was "oxygen free high defination cable" (sounds good) and soldered a gold plated phono connecter on aswell as the XLR. The longer your run of cable the more loss you get so spend a bit more on your cable for a longer run.

They can do a custom cable for you and I think you can order online but I wasn't gonna have another XLR mix up and soldering your own really isn't difficult.

10. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx, I know about Keene, I've ordered stuff from them before.

I'll give it a go.

Eddie:)