1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Sub setup question - Q50

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jonnyv, May 3, 2003.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Ive been looking at the rel q50sub to relace my paradigm pdr-10, i cant find any pics of the frount connections large enough to work out how this sub is hooked up to the amp.
    On the rel site they reccomend using high and low level connections, and using a supplied lead from the sub to the amps speaker out connectors, and also a single sub cable to the low level or sub out connector on amp.
    Where do i plug my speakers into if the rel sub is using the outputs ? I asumed that the speakers would plug into the sub, but can see any speaker connections on there.

Also, as i live in a second floor flat and dont want to fall out with my neighbours, is a rel q50 a good idea ? Does paying more money and getting a better sub mean more bass or more refined bass ?

thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Jon

The high level connection for Rel subs just connect to the amps speaker terminals as well as the cables for your speakers. If you have banana plugs on your current speaker cables that makes it easier, just unscrew the binding posts a bit, connect the rel cables and you're away.

Depending on the sub (size etc), you'll usually get more refined bass and in some cases deeper bass extension. But as I said, depends on the sub.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The easiest way is to connect it up exactly the same way as your Paradigm. Better sub means more bass and better more refined bass as well.

4. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for the advice guys

5. JimB

JimB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an REL Q50 and a flat below my terrace house. The guy says the noise is not a problem.

I sit the Q50 on a paving stone with some bits of rubber in between. This stopped the floor vibrating a lot.

6. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Just bought a Rel Q50 (thanks bunkerbuster!) but unfortunately it didn't come with any manuals. Obviously placement wil be down to trial and error, but how far should it be positioned from a wall ?

Also does anyone have a copy of the manuals in Adobe PDF format or some they can photocopy and send to me ?

cheers

7. cradleoffilth

cradleoffilth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for the link. I have managed to get hold of some earlier Rel manuals that include the Q50 model.

Cheers for everyones help.