Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

REL sub settings - where the heck is 80Hz?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mr Pleasant, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Just benefitted from some interesting advice on another thread about setting up satellite speakers such as the Kef Eggs with a REL sub. It all seems to hinge on setting the REL to kick in at around 80Hz which is fine except for one thing: there is no information in either the handbook for my Q50 or on the unit itself to suggest where 80Hz might be. Has anyone with a REL Q50 used some sort of measuring device and can give me a clue? I know room acoustics play a huge part and REL's set up instructions are pretty detailed as to how to integrate the sound with the main enclosures, but I've often wondered how that roll off dial is calibrated.

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm sure a Q50 owner will answer this - but from memory the Q50's roll off goes from 20 - 120 so 80 would be (on a clock face) between 1 and 2 'o' clock

REL subs now mark the roll off more accurately thankfully

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The other way to do it would be be to set the ABC to maximum and let the amp control the bass management.

I think that the Denon rolls off at 100Hz but in THX mode this is reduced to 80Hz.

I use mine in THX mode all of the time as I prefer the overall sound as well the lower level for the bass management.

This assumes that your main speakers are OK down to 80hz which may not be the case if you go for the eggs you were talking about yesterday.

Trying playing with the THX Optimiser that is available on quite a few DVDs as that will show you if you have any peaks or troughs in the lower mid range.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your speakers will go to 80hz then I'd go with Ian's suggestion... which is how I run my system from a Denon amp.

I do wonder why sub companies don't print the rough position of 80hz and 100z on the crossover dial, would make things a little easier.

5. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Nice idea! Now why didn't I think of that...

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Ian said, set the xover on the sub to maximum, and use the receiver´s.

The eggs don´t "really" go down to 80hz, if you have a choice in your receiver try 120hz, or at least 100hz...

7. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Unless another owner can correct me (Ian J?), I'm pretty certain from what I've read in the manual that in THX mode bass handling on the A10SE is non-negotiable at 80Hz. I actually had 20 minutes demoing the Eggs today through a 3802 and with a REL Q150. I understand from the guy at Audio-T that the 3802 was managing the bass. Didn't notice any 'holes' and certainly no boominess, but please let me know of any experiences you've had which are worth reporting. Don't want to make a mistake.

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two friends bought eggs on my recomendation, one with a fixed 80hz xover, I noticed male voice was a little thin, so the second bought another with variable xover, and we set it to 120hz, much better balanced sound, but the sub must be near the front speakers, as bass is directional above 80hz...

9. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    That's interesting. One of my demo CDs when listening to the REL/Kef combo was an old Michael McDonald album. That guy has a very distinctive voice that I've heard on my hi fi speakers for over a decade. I didn't notice anything missing when listening via the Eggs, but I plan to get a loan pair out and will experiment with Denon bass management and REL ABC settings (which will allow me to integrate up to 120Hz).

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Mr P,

Switch the THX on and off and with speakers like the eggs, you will notice the difference.

In my opinion an amp like the 10SE deserves better speakers.

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some would say it's possible to locate the source of bass sounds at much lower cycles that that. The theory that subs can be placed 'anywhere' really is a nonsense.

12. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, my xover is set at 50hz, and the subs are behind each front speaker...

13. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm sure you're right (what are you using?), but I just don't see me having room for 5 full-sized enclosures in the main living room for a few years yet - not with 3 kids running around. Anyway, I'm picking up the loan pair (yes, pair. It's got to be a stereo-only exercise this weekend) at tea time tonight just before Audio-T closes. The demo yesterday was very worthwhile and I take back all I've said in the past about badly run demos, but you can't beat hearing kit in your own home. I'll also be able to compare my current stereo speakers and the Eggs with only a few seconds in between. What fun!

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    They don't have to be full size speakers. I use M&K which are fairly small but also quite expensive. There are a number of small speakers that are probably better than the eggs, especially if you are using them with your existing REL sub

I haven't heard the Gallos (I will tomorrow though) but they seem to be well thought of by Nic Rhodes, Uncle Eric and quite a few others

15. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Ian J - did you hear the Gallos? I haven't got to make a decision on the Eggs for another 24 hours...

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Amazing sound from such tiny speakers. You must try and hear them for yourself before deciding.

If you don't listen to them you will always wonder if you have made the right decision.