REL Strata MKI - Any good? How much would you pay?

P

PGL

Got an opportunity to buy the above. I know it's a bit old but would it be a good buy as my first home theatre sub? The guy is asking about £275 for it. What are your thoughts please?

Regards

Paul

It's an excellent sub but priced a bit on the high side. I sold my Storm mark 1 a couple of weeks ago for £230 and that is one higher on the REL scale.

Ian,
If I could get the guy to come down to maybe the £200 mark would you recommend it for the following system or should I stick to my original plan of a second hand MJ Acoustics Pro 50 or maybe a second hand REL Q100 for a touch more?

Marantz SR4200 Rx
Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Fronts
Mission M7C1 Centre
Mission M7DS Rears

Room is about 4.6 x 3.6 metres. Also, I currently have no sub at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Paul (Bit of a newbie!)

Either a second hand Strata, Storm or Q100 will do you proud but the latter holds it's price very well and you don't see many about.

The MJ Acoustics sub isn't quite in the same class and is too new to be found second hand.

If you're not in a hurry, lurk and when one comes along, pounce and you won't regret it.

Regarding the Strata, is the MK1 version above not worth getting then? Should I wait for something newer? Just out of interest, I've seen 2 Pro 50's for sale at £200 this weekend and am waiting on a response from one of them. Should I go for one of these at this price or wait? (although I really can't wait to try one out on my system!) I'm like a kid in a sweetshop;-)

Sorry to keep pestering!

Paul

The Strata Mark 1 is a good subwoofer. I'm surprised that you have found two Pro 50's on sale at £200 each which is fairly cheap. They're not bad but not as good as a Strata.

When talking to the vendor, try and find out why they are selling as it will give you their opinion of the next step up from a Pro 50

Thanks Ian,
Will do. Might have a word with the guy who is selling the Strata aswell to see what he'll come down to. You wouldn't know of anywhere I can find the Strata Mk1 spec. would you? Just keep getting the MkII & MkIII when I search.

Cheers Again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom