1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Strata III sufficient?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by monotone, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using B&W Matrix 803 S2 as front & Matrix 805 as rears... sufficent bass on the music side of things...

Is REL Strata III sufficent to improve MC 5.1 & SACD ? or the Storm III a better match?

The set up is driven by Marantz PS-17SA+SM-17

2. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Storm III is a better sub with music, however the Velodyne CHT-10 is even better and cheaper, have a look in the power buys section.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You are supposed to put smileys in your post otherwise people will think you are serious.

Monotone,

The REL Strata is an excellent sub but there is no doubt that the Storm is better. I had an original Storm which I upgraded to the current model a few months ago.

The chap that bought my previous Storm made some comments here but don't read beyond the first couple of posts as it just descends into banter from then on.

4. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian :)

As i live in an apartment... listening area around 5m x 5m... will the Strata gd enuff or I shd wait and get the Storm later on?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Storm will go that bit deeper as the enclosure is much larger but in your circumstances it may not be useable depth if the neighbours will start complaining.

The Strata is an excellent sub in it's own right and there are many happy Strata users on this forum.

6. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is a good price to pay for a secondhand Strata III - brand new retails @ £950 here

Worth a try or just enjoy the bass coming from the B&W

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Prices are very different in OZ to Uk and there is probably more availability in UK too so our prices probably aren't that relevant. Let me annoy you though by telling you that a Storm in UK costs slightly less than you pay for a Strata

8. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know!!!

Storm is selling @ £1300 here!

A second Strata III is selling here for £550... pretty much the brand new price in uk? argh!

Btw... worth a try or shdn't bother?

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nice kit you have although the amps have never been sold in UK and it needed a bit of digging around to find out what they were.

If you watch a few DVDs you will certainly find that the Strata will add some low end grunt that should add to your enjoyment of films as it will go much deeper that the B&Ws.

10. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson: I am deadly serious, I speak from experience, I used to own a Strata III then tried a Storm III but settled for a Velo CHT-10 as it beat the Rels hands down on music and HT.

Monotone, the Velo is a front firer and the Rels are down firers, as you live in an apartment I know which your neighbours would prefer!

Do have a listen to Rels and the Velo before you buy, the Velo is much smoother.

Have ever heard a Velo IanJ ?

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    To help you make your mind up there is an interesting discussion here with a couple of interesting posts by eddiea :D

12. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192

I have to agree that the Velodyne gives the Rels a real run for their money, and i myself sold two rel storms to go for the Velo and I am very pleased i did. The performance from the CHT-15 is just right for my room, and has again improved recently with the addition of the Tag.

Ian, are you trying to say that Eddiea's arguement is not valid, because in 2002 he bought a Rel, and has now replaced that with a Velo.:confused:

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not apart from the hour or two spent in the Velodyne room at the Bristol show and a few social occasions with Uncle Eric at his house :D

14. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    I have owned both the REL Strata and Storm model of subs, and without any shadow of a doubt, if you can afford the Storm, then get it!

I found the Storm was far superior to the Strata: in terms of low end grunt and the output: the Strata bottomed out a little too easily for my liking ;-)

Either way though, you can't go wrong with either of these subs. Excellent.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am merely pointing out that he waxes lyrical about everything he has bought and I would point out that he is talking about a CHT10 and not your CHT15 which is a completely different kettle of fish altogether costing over twice the price.

I may be wrong but I wouldn't think that even Uncle Eric would say that a £300 Velodyne CHT10 is better than a Storm.

16. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    My mistake, maybe i should read threads in a little more detail. No a CHT10 would struggle i'd imagine, a CHT-15 on the other hand................

17. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Monotone,

The models that you quoted are old ones and have all been superceded. Have a look at http://www.velodyne.com/ as indicated although I can't see that Redline, the UK distributor would be of much use to you.

If you want to compare Velodyne subwoofers with Stratas and Storms you need to start looking at something like the CHT15 which is comparable in terms of price in UK

The Australian distributors are:-

W.C. Wedderspoon Pty. Ltd.
    3 Ford St.
    Greenacre, NSW 2190 Australia

Phone: 61 2 9642 2595
    Fax: 61 2 9642 8608

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.