1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Strata III setup

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by LTE, Jan 1, 2003.

1. LTE

LTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Rel Strata III that I use for both music and home theater and have been trying to find the optimal setup for this use. I use both the high level and low level inputs and have the Mode set to "2" which, according to the manual, is appropriate for use with music and movies. I have a Rotel RSX-965 surround receiver. When listening to music I have the front speakers (B&W CDM 1NTs) set to large, all other speakers set to small and the subwoofer turned to "off." This is, I understand, the optimal setup for music.

My question relates to the home theater setting. From what I have read in various places, for movies it is appropriate to leave the setup as I have it for music but simply turn the sub to "ON." My question is whether it would make more sense to turn the front speakers to "small" for movie viewing rather than to leave them set as large. Wouldn't this setting effectively circumvent the high level input since the crossover point for high level would be set well below 80hz and the receiver would send all bass info below 80hz to the sub? What would the benefit be of leaving the front speakers set to large?

Any input would be appreciated.