1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL STRATA III query

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by williesoon, Apr 23, 2002.

1. williesoon

williesoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a REL Strata III to complement my music only system comprising a full Musical Fidelity setup with the B&W CDM9NT speakers.

does anyone know what the knobs Mode 1,2,3 & 4 does and how do i set it at a rolloff point at approx 32hz - 27hz to match the 9NTs? I have connected the sub using the High Level Neutrik Connection.

what are your experiences (music/movies) with a Strata III sub good/bad?? any comments welcome.

Thank you.
    ;):rolleyes:

2. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From memory I think you have to select two of the knobs so that their settings match your rolloff point. There is a little table of frequencies on the back somewhere.

Isn't the mode knob for reversing phase? Can't remember.
    I upgraded my Q150 to the Strata III. I have found it much easier to incorporate into my system. Great for films, may be a little slow for some music.

3. williesoon

williesoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx,

after looking carefully, i actually found a freq table at the sub.
    but i still dont get the Mode knobs.

haha,...should have opened my eyes bigger!

4. baz

baz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember correctly, one of the reviews of the strata III on the Audioreview website has some information about the different modes of this sub. - see www.audioreview.com ( the subwoofer review section)

Otherwise, I guess you should try and phone REL direct and ask them for help.

I'm also interested in the Strata 3 for music-only use, and currently trying to arrange a home loan. Would be interested how you find it for music, since it's supposed to be a very musical sub.

Cheers,
    Baz

5. williesoon

williesoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have emailed REL and have solve my queries.

The mode switch is as follows:-

Position 1 - The sub is in phase and using the internal filter
    Position 2 - The sub is in phase but bypassing the internal filter
    when using the low level input. (this is useful
    when using the sub for home cinema)
    Positions 3 and 4 - Same as 1 and 2 but 180 degrees out of phase.

For music only, use Mode 1 & Mode 3 and connect to the poweramps using the Nuetrik Unbalanced High Level cable provided.

I have visited www.audioreview.com as well. thanx.

Spent the entire afternoon trying every kind of music to get the right sound. FInally settled for a rolloff point at 32hz, Mode 1 and it worked wonders. It surely made me tap my feet listening to pop and hiphop alike. Stacy Kent's pieces has a much fuller effect and filled up my room. Overall, i would say a substantial improvement even at low volume levels. Not too boomy and it integrates very well with the fronts.

If you are thinking about a sub, don't think, get it now! The Rel allows you to adjust its rolloff point from 85hz to as low as 22hz!! Might even think of getting a second Rel Strata for better stereo imaging. hmmm,...tempting...tempting.